Wet bow strings

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cannon06, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This season I got caught in a rain storm while in the tree, and my bow got fairly wet. Do bow strings perform differently when wet? Are there any considerations that need to be made if this does happen while hunting? Thanks for any responses.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had a issue with them. I always have my string waxed though so there is that.

Cannon06, Okiebob and BB1 like this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same as Fix, I keep wax on them very regularly and have no problem with the strings being wet.
    I've shot a ton of 3d shoots in pouring rain.
    When shooting in the rain I've found that my biggest issue with maintaining accuracy is the hood on my waterproof jacket. Having the hood up changes how I anchor on the side of my face enough that I apply torque to the string and start having accuracy issues, so I just put the hood down for the shot and then put it back on between shots.

Cannon06 and Okiebob like this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wax on Daniel-son.

I've been soaked in the stand more times than I care to remember but always just watch the water bead off the string, me not so much.

Cannon06 likes this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coolest sound ever. I used to shoot a lot of 3D in high-school and my early 20's. Always enjoyed shooting in a light rain.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind a light rain either. It runs a lot of people off the course, or they simply don't come at all, and we breeze right through the course with no waiting.
    Not great for the club putting it on, but great for us that don't mind shooting in it.

Okiebob likes this.
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love a light rain in early OCT. Everything is quiet and I just feel like my odds are better. Idk why.

8. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    bows are meant to be in the elements IMO. Rain or shine the strings should be fine.

9. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My understanding is back when strings were made of gut, sinu, linen or plant fibers, and silk(?) rain/snow/wet caused the strings to stretch.
    Troops kept their bows unstrung, and the strings in a pocket or sporan/belt pouch to keep them dry until needed.

Since the invention of Dacron and even more modern synthetic fubers, such as kevlar, rain/snow/wet has pretty much become a non-issue.

Keeping the string waxed can't hurt, and adds to the useable life of the string, by providing some UV protection, I'm told.