The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My bathroom remodel is done. $1000 dollars is like diarrhea when it comes to a bathroom remodel. It goes fast and usually end up squirting a few more times before it is over. I hide my screw drivers from the wife. We don't have a second bathroom. We have an outhouse !!! Last one in the area that I know of. I am going to fix it up this summer.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if you're equating snow with bitter cold. Usually, once them temps hit a certain point below zero it doesn't snow.

Not seeing lawn until April is a common occurrence around here. By me the winter of 12/13 was one of a ton of snow. On 12-12 12, we got 20"of snow that did not melt until April. Also, February 2019 we received 38" of snow for the month. No lawn until April again. I know those examples are above the norm around here these days but I'll take the snow over the extreme cold.

All I was saying is that this was the longest extremely cold stretch we've had in a long time. The last 10 days here have all been below zere with 8 of those days being colder than -20. That's way too cold for so long! I want to be able to do stuff outside!

Screenshot (7).png

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While it's a bit early for a Spring time rant, I came across this picture. I had it happen to me when I lived in the city with no garage to park in. My perpetrator was a male Robin. I really wanted to shoot him but you know ... neighbors. He really made a mess of the mirrors and windows on my truck. I ended up taping grocery bags to them. About 10 days later it stopped. I hated that bird.

not cool.jpg

TJF likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have a turkey here at work that raises all kinds of hell, jumping up on vehicles scratching the paint crapping all over. They thought fake coyote decoys would run him off.

GregH likes this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rolling blackouts. We hit -14° this morning and Oklahoma is not meant to get that cold. So now we have rolling blackouts due to the strain on the power supply. They are also asking use to conserve natural gas, seems that the great idea to limit production, oil companies idea to stabilize the price, has screwed us.

dnoodles likes this.
  6. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how do ya like the wind and solar energy now ?

greatwhitehunter3 and Sota like this.
  7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no, a new form of energy has some growing pains. Well, better get back to getting screwed by the oil and gas overlords. How do you like making all them Saudis so rich?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Biden with the pipelines and fracking bans is the one at fault giving money to the saudis. Under our last President we were the biggest crude oil producer in the world.

Also first turbine used to generate electricity in the US 1888. Hardly new technology.

9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We still are.

So we had gigantic large scale wind farms in 1888?

Yall must really hate truckers bc that pipeline is going to put a lot of them out of a job. Which will effect all those truck stops and the local economies. Guess they can just learn to code.

And for the record, I just love when people degrade newer technologies bc they aren't perfect right out of the gate. I can imagine back in the day when the Horseless Carriage came out there were people yelling "What about the ferrier and all those people that work at stables!"

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Storing and then distributing is the "new" tech. But as it takes something like 3x as much fossil fuels to produce said infrastructure as it does just to burn said fossil fuels for energy...kinda exceeding the point of diminishing returns *and* while all the while emitting 3x as much carbon.

But, we must TRUST THE SCIENCE

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No but the technology was developed and implemented, plus wind turbines have been widely used in California since the late 80's. -21 degrees on my way to work and all the turbines I usually see were not froze up. It is not new technology.

Pipelines are safer than semis and trains, greener technology too.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been listening to XM comedians on netfflix, there was this little candy ass sugar tit making fun of Larry the Cable guy says real comedians to not have tag lines. I believe Larry has FU money from get er done, and he is funny.
    I guess I am awful too not a real fan of women comedians, lesbian comedians even less, just not funny to me I will even listen to some I know I probably won't like just to see if they will say something funny.

My least is any production that has more than one comedian on stage at a time, hate it and improv hate it most of all.

13. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

We have a big slough with tons of minnows in it right by the farm I work at. The pelicans love it. Pelicans also seem to love flying over the farm and **** bombing our vehicles, tractors and us. Trust me when I say it is a big splat from 100's of feet up in the air !!

GregH likes this.
  14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ Wow, one pelican **** might cover the entire windshield or hood of your truck!

Not cool!

15. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try being out in a boat when they fly over.

TJF likes this.
  16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had to take my big dog to the vet yesterday. It was an ordeal and I knew it would be. He isn't names MF Jones for no reason. He don't take kindly to strangers laying hands on him. I put a muzzle on him in the truck and then walked him in to the vet. They usually come out to the parking lot and get your animal and you wait outside. This was arranged before the visit.

Once we got inside Jones's tensions elevated quickly....... Tile floors! He hates them. Maybe because they afford no traction. Now all his toes are spread like a cat while we are led to the exam room. He is being examined because he has been limping, especially at night. He can't get comfortable. It is his rear, right leg that is bothering him. It is weird because when he is outside, it's like nothing is wrong. He runs and patrols like usual. The wife and I are speculating a flare up of Lyme.

In the exam room, I am sitting in a chair holding him by the collar while the Vet and her assistant are doing the exam and blood draw. He is growling and protesting the whole time. X-rays are suggested so to the X-ray room we go. I need to wait outside and they ask me to take the leash off his collar. I'm thinking... here we go. They pull him over to the X-ray table and lift him aboard. They had to get a third helper to manhandle him around into position. It took several tries to get the shots they needed. I heard them say a couple of times..... wow, he sure is strong. He was making all kinds of noises. I felt bad. Those ladies impressed me.

Soon, his ordeal (our ordeal) was over. In a few minutes the results were back...... positive for Lyme. X-rays and everything else was good. We left there with a prescription of Doxycycline and $240 lighter in the wallet. It was worth it to know that he'll recover and that it wasn't something more drastic.

Side note: I treat my dogs for ticks diligently. They haven't had a tick attached to them in over 3 years.

TJF, arrowflinger1, picman and 4 others like this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lymes sucks bigly.

picman and GregH like this.
  18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As of November 2019, the US became a net exporter of both crude and refined oil products. In other words, ALL oil products. The current administration is the only chance the Saudi's have of becoming rich from American dollars again. Fact.

Please explain how much diesel is burned for the scrapers that remove the topsoil so the diesel powered hoes can dig up the iron ore that must then be trucked out to load the diesel powered trains that then must travel to the steel mill where huge amounts of energy are used to smelt the ore into steel so the bases of the turbines can be made while using even more energy to run the manufacturing plant. Then calculate how much energy is used to do the same process for the aggregate that is mixed into the 6 tons of concrete that is poured for the base of each windmill. Not to mention the thousands of pounds of re-rod that also had to be made with much the same process as the steel for the base. We might want to figure in the gallons of diesel it takes to run the cement trucks to come pour those bases and we might also want to count the gallons of diesel that it takes to run the excavators for the footings and for the cranes to assemble the windmills. But first, we need to remember the gallons of diesel burning in the semi-trucks that deliver all the parts for the windmill. Believe me, it is not just a couple of trucks, but more like dozens. Now, we can't forget the fleet of pickups and service vehicles it takes to keep a windfarm up and running, because at this point, we have been unable to make one live long enough to produce more energy than it took to build. And the kicker, we fill them with about 60 gallons of oil and it is not uncommon for them to lose a seal and leak that oil onto the ground where all the dead birds are laying under the windmill after getting hacked by the fiberglass blades that have a fairly short life. Those same old blades are now being buried in the earth because that is the best idea anyone has come up with.

You call it growing pains......I call it liberal insanity.

greatwhitehunter3 and TJF like this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The turbine blades are considered hazardous waste, how is it that they are not hazardous when they are above ground then they became hazardous when you bury them?

20. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Glad you got him to the vet in time. Imagine if you had to carry him outside for him to relieve himself.

This happened to our dog In the space of 30 hours, went from what you described to not being able to get herself up.

GregH likes this.