Turkey season 2021

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Jan 24, 2021.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know about you but I can hardly wait! I also have a longer wait than many of you. Here's to hoping for yet another good spring hatch and great spring season for all. I have both bows restrung so this year will be bows first.

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im late sending in for tags but just did it today. Im super excited as well. Turkey hunting is right up there with deer hunting for me. Gets me just as excited

bhyde53 and oldnotdead like this.
  3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you find lots of birds this spring with many long birds.....

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never have a great season. You either have birds or you don't, I think.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That's too bad....

6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my Illinois tag in the mail the other day. Now waiting for 4/17!

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I look forward to turkey season every Spring. It opens 4/15 here. I always start with a bow, don't always end with one though.
    I've been really craving getting an old smoothbore caplock muzzleloader to start using on them, but haven't came across one yet that's in good shape for the price.

8. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anxiously awaiting opening day here in NY. Spring Turkey season here is May 1 - May 31 and sun-up to noon. Taking the 1st week off of work to try and find those elusive toms traveling around the farm our neighbors'. Have seen flocks of 50+ roaming the other side of the field behind my house so I'm hoping some toms are mixed in among them.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I had a flock of 6 hens stop me on the road a half mile from our back line. They were eating the road salt. This has always been a good indicator of how all critters are doing this time of winter....they are struggling. The snow has been deep for weeks and starting Monday about to get 5-10 inches deeper. Good thing to a point, no hard pack, so predators arent just running over the surface. Though too deep this year for me to make the usual travel trails for any of us.. Just getting to the compost pile at garden has been tough. Many deer kill as well they are on the roads a lot for salt and to get out of the knee high snows.

10. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MA and NY hunter here. Each yr at home in MA seems to get harder and harder to find birds to hunt. The population is definitely declining in western ma. I spent a month and a half looking pre season to find some birds to hunt. I finally did and hunted with a pal who didn't have time to scout because of work. We bowhunted out of the blind. He's a left handed shooter and I'm right. I agreed to let whomever side the bird came in on would shoot. Watch what happens.

BowHunt43 likes this.
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well did you go looking for him???

12. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yes we looked for him for 3 days. Bottom line is my pal made a bad shot and we never recovered the turkey!

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well there are probably many veiws to that video. I'm thinking the second shot he was urged on to take was the bad one. That turkey was walking away on the first shot. Probably would have walked a distance and just layed down to bleed to death or stiffen up some. Getting too weak to take off as he did, should a second shot been needed. Just a thought.....

14. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Image1617500601.563911.jpg Image1617500608.016072.jpg im not one to be after a Tom only I’m just looking for my first bird lol getting good pics though almost every day a jake will walk threw

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ash d likes this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Last night I called in 5 big Jake's in field next to house. They started right in and then took a sharp turn to corner at road. They just took off running hard.I turned binos in that direction and coming into field from our drive a long beard appeared. Those 5 Jake's mobbed him and he took off running for his life back up and across the field. The 5 Jake's hot on his tail. He lost them in the next hedge row and they returned to THEIR FIELD . Fun to watch, but now know adult Tom's near our place may be hard to find thanks to bully Jake's.

Rick12887 likes this.
  16. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That would be a cool thing to see... was out this morning and called a tom down off the ridge behind me but he never came out into the field.. at the same time a nice doe came walking down the field.. then a pair of jakes and six hens came out in front of me ..have video..will try to put up a capture from it

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ash d and oldnotdead like this.
  18. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going out this weekend to see if there’s birds roosting on any of my other properties

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So much fun! In PC room watching a movie last night when I hear the distinct sound of fly up. There out the window
    At 30 yards is a long beard precariously roosted on a small tree. I watch as he moves from tree to tree finding the best branch. This morning at dawn I shot out a few tree yelps and got him gobbling. Watch him fly down behind the house . Called a couple of times to get him up the hill and heard more fly downs. He is with 4 big hens. They all flew down behind the house so here he comes in full display gobbling. Watched as theyi all moved off deeper into our woods and down to the creeks.. He's still gobbling his head off at those hens he's with.. Oh man May 1 is along ways off!!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Mod-it and JeffC like this.
  20. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our season opens this Thursday. I work half a day on Friday, so I'll likely not go until Saturday morning. The snow has been slow in going away at my spot, so I'm basically going in blind with no scouting. Hoping enough snow is now gone that the turkeys have started to show up in the area.

oldnotdead likes this.