As a new soon to be bowhunter--

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by newbowhunter2, Feb 5, 2021.

1. newbowhunter2

newbowhunter2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What pound of bow should I start with?

I'm planning on getting the Samick Sage, someone from the site I plan to purchase it from recommended that I start with a 25lb bow and then upgrade my limbs once I develop a proper technique.

Other users from a different forum have recommended that I begin with a 35lb bow. Do you guys think I'd be safe opting for a 35lb option? I do plan to enroll in a training course to learn how to shoot it properly. I will NOT go hunting until I can consistently hit a bullseye from far away.

I'm planning to hunt sandhill cranes with it. I would like to begin hunting whitetail deer once I've shot a few waterfowl, but for now I'm going to settle for sandhill crane. How strong would the bow need to be to bring down a whitetail?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb or redundant. I'm trying to make a smart investment and I would like my first ever hunting weapon to serve me for some time, as this is sort of a special occasion and a rite of passage in a way.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best advice you can get is to find a local pro shop and go try out bows. Everyone has a different feel for what seems natural to shoot. Go shoot a variety of bows and shoot the heaviest poundage that you can control without straining.

alenhard15 likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what the hell is a sandhill crane?

grommel likes this.
  4. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    CFB8AE18-B306-4C9D-8FB8-A978B8FC1ADB.png

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Sage with three different limb sets, love the 29lb set. I would stick with a lower weight and work on form, build up to the higher weight. I have a set of 55lb limbs and it will wear you out quick. As far as a weight for Whitetail, good shot placement with 35lb limbs can bring one down but you'd probably be better of with 45 or 55lb limbs. Btw, there are no dumb questions.

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Rib-eye of the sky!!

Shocker99, wl704 and cantexian like this.
  8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    never heard of hunting them...we have the blue herron here and i would not want to eat one..plus it's against the law to shoot

9. newbowhunter2

newbowhunter2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This reply is the best damn thing I seen all week!! I needed a laugh, I can tell I'm gonna enjoy my stay here. Thank you.

cantexian likes this.
  10. newbowhunter2

newbowhunter2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The government here wants these things gone, and as another user has mentioned they're referred to as the 'ribeye of the sky' so I'm hoping they taste good. I'll probably opt to smoke them on the smoker or something.

Plus it shouldn't be that hard to shoot, at least not when compared to finding a whitetail I should think. There might be 200 of these things in the marsh, so I gotta stand at the edge and be sure to hit the right bird. But again, I still don't have any idea what I'm doing, so I might sound ignorant. Pardon me please. pic related

[​IMG]

11. newbowhunter2

newbowhunter2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't ever hunted before. I think in order to hunt sandhill crane, they occupy wetland areas, so I would have to stand near the edge just out of the water and make my shot, wouldn't I? I don't want to get a 55lb bow to start with but I would prefer to get something with a little bit of power to start with too.

Would opting for a 30lb bow be sufficient enough to shoot an arrow some distance? I was considering this weight because it's in between the two weights I was recommended, a 35lb and a 25lb.

12. newbowhunter2

newbowhunter2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The centers are currently closed due to covid and no mention of when they open back up.. I was hoping to get fitted as well but, seeing that they're closed well there's not much else I can do.

13. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Laughter really is the best medicine and I try to keep it fun. I have heard the Sandhills are good to eat but we do not have a season for them here.

Be patient and someone will help you with some sound advice. If you are talking compound bows and not recurve, you can look for something that has a lot of room to grow with it.
    For example, my wife has a Mission Craze that is adjustable from 35lbs on up to 70. Something like that would be good to start with. Good luck to you.

newbowhunter2 likes this.
  14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to be a buzz kill but you have some crazy ambitions. I admire them but you might want to start slow. Maybe get a used bow and learn the weapon. Figure out it's(and your) limitations.

newbowhunter2 and Okiebob like this.
  15. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with @Fix in the above post. Get to know the bow over the spring and summer and go from there.

The nice thing about the Sage or Fleetwood bows is that the limbs are fairly inexpensive. So when you do decide to bump up the weight its not going to break the bank.

What is your draw length?

Mine is 29.5", so a 25lb limb weight is measured at 28". My draw length being at 29.5 it is possible that I am pulling 28-29lbs at that length.

I think the most important part of archery is that you enjoy archery, everything else will fall into place.

newbowhunter2 and Fix like this.
  16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They're not just good they're delicious. A real treat. In Oklahoma you don't have to buy anything other than a hunting license and get the HIP endorsement, a check mark when purchasing, to hunt them.

newbowhunter2 and cantexian like this.
  17. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If Sandhill cranes are anything like snow goose, they will eat well.

18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought Meat Eater was nuts when he grilled the hearts and livers, boy was I wrong. I was the crazy one for throwing them away for so many years.

Shocker99 and cantexian like this.
  19. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't read all post so I'll say this my first bow was a kodiak recurve and 45#'s. My first bow,kill was a buck... I'm a woman , best advice was to go shoot some bows . I wouldn't go lower than 35#'s because some states have # requirements on hunting bows .
    To you standing on edge to shoot a crane....well, I'll have to assume here, thinking they are much like a turkey. If shot will attempt flight or just run. Have you thought out how you'd recover a bird mid swamp?

20. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    man I don't know a thing about hunting cranes...I didn't know it was a thing. I can tell you that they seem very similar to the blue herron crane here in VA and those things won't let you get real close before they tear out of there making the most God awful squal I ever heard..as far as the bow. I have a samick sage, 50#. I pull to 27" so I am actually pulling 47 lbs. It's plenty to kill most small game and even lots of big game. Where are you located?