V3 tuning help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bhod87, Jan 30, 2021.

1. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got my V3 home and shot a bare shaft through it, discovering a horrible right tear.
    Integrate MX rest. Confirmed with multiple shafts.

[​IMG]
    I moved the rest way farther out than I should need to, and it still wasn't enough.

I then looked to top-hats. The top cam was already shifted right, the bottom was shifted left. So I swapped the bottom top-hats to shift cam right.

First shot was a bullet hole. BUT, my rest is still way out there. It's a strong inch from the riser.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So my question is... should I just live with it like this or order a top-hat kit and attempt to get that rest a bit further right and closer to designed center shot?

thanks

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My vote is that although every bow is different that seems out too much. It's a red flag that you have another issue. Good luck and let us know what you find

3. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at the top hats on mine, the wider ones are on the right of both top and bottom cams. That is out of the box and I have not shot through paper yet with mine.

4. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Top hat kit on the way.

5. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure anyone cares, but will post my tuning results anyways. The following top hat configuration got the V3 shooting absolute bullet holes with the rest at 13/16" :

Top cam:
    .035 (Single bottom ring) on right side
    .140 (Double bottom ring) on the left

Bottom cam:
    .055 (Single middle ring) on right side
    .120 (Double middle ring) on the left

In summary, the top cam is pushed as far right as it can go and the bottom cam is pushed right second-to-thinnest.

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet thank you. What's your next project

7. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1) Selling all the accessories from my bow that I returned. Turns out almost everything wound up changing. My checking account looks a lot like a sine wave. :lol:
    2) Finding the perfect V3 case.
    3) More peep work. With the string angle of the 27 plus mine is sitting imperfect and needing to be manually tweaked after each shot (but not bad enough to need a string twist)... I'd like to see that peep line up perfect and be a bit more forgiving. I have been researching the 'Total Peep' a bit and am very tempted. I've even tossed around the idea of punting and going old-school with a tube.

8. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    I’m getting a slight right tail and my rest is getting past the recommended center shot. I dropped down to a 100 grain field point and it got better. Not sure whether to do some twists in the cable or buy the hats like you did.

9. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    I’m shooting 70lbs/28”DL and have Axis arrows 340.

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey brother you might be a little over spined at 340. I don't think it's what's causing your rip. To verify you might want to get a friend to watch you shoot to make sure it's not a release or arm position causing it.

11. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Eastons chart puts me at 340,330,& 320. I’m still messing with arrow setups but I keep getting a slight right tear. I will dig out some 400 tomorrow but I had no problems with bullet holes with my old bow. I don’t think it’s form. Wish I had a press.

12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Head scratcher. Let us know what happens

13. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I found a cool new peep that I am so far digging in the V3 shorty. The only thing I cannot vouch for is any potential string cutting. After I shoot it a whole bunch and it proves itself in that category, I'll report back.

It is called the "Titan Multi-Angle Titanium Peep Sight for Short Axle to Axle Bows" and the only place I found them was eBay. It has three pairs of string channels for three different angles: 21, 24, or 27 degrees. It's certainly some dude making them in his garage. It came in a plastic sandwich baggy with no instructions or anything... but I dig it. I just tried all three angles until I found the perfect one.

[​IMG]

The string angle on this thing with longer draws is no joke... but there are workarounds!

14. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Never mind on the above peep. After drawing about 10 times and firing about 5 times it is collapsing and shaped like an oval.
    There's $18 I won't get back. Oh well.

I have a Total Peep on the way and I'll report back.

15. TreeTopAssassin

TreeTopAssassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am having the same issue with my peep. I know they added a half twist to the string when they were doing the cam timing and i think that is what is causing it.

Tags: