Made the switch to crossbow and new purchase

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by mab, Feb 9, 2020.

1. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been a while since I have been on here. Because of physical limitations, I have purchased my first crossbow. I know nothing about these things. Lol. I was looking at the PSE Coalition as a first for me but couldn't find any. One shop had a PSE Fang HD for $100 more than the Coalition. It has a better scope (IMO) and is a bit faster. I ended up buying the Fang HD. Out the door, $400. IBO rated at 405 fps with 134 ft\pounds. This thing has a few other nice things about it I enjoy. The performance vs cost IMO is extremely good. As I have not shot this thing yet, I am hoping to not be disappointed. I purchased a crank for it and it was the wrong one. Going back to the shop tomorrow to exchange it.

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck and have fun

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how it goes. I'm glad you found a way to keep hunting!

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and welcome to the dark side!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oldcarp likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta say I love my crossbow! We are only allowed to use it during the last 2 wks of bow season and all of gun plus small game and turkey season. I have to say after hunting hard all season trying to avoid being seen drawing or deer ducking arrows, I enjoy having a bit more speed( shoulder has my compound on the low end). It gives me hope if the front end of season has been rough. Then the bonus of gun season, 500ft to a 250 ft safety zone opens up hunting areas that were off limits in years past. Yes, I could still bow hunt for that but to be totally honest any deer especially buck, hit with a bolt over an arrow seems to run a much shorter distance before dropping. Less worry of losing a nice buck in such areas. I've had 3 buck dragged off over the years by neighboring hunters. One , a dog tracker and I were following, shot with a gun during bow and taken. The tracker looked at me and said there goes your buck when we heard the shot. Lost all sign right at that area. He actually came back the next day just to make sure. Dog got nothing after we had followed a very visible blood trail the entire track. They usually drop in sight with the bolt hit.
    Have fun you'll love it, still can enjoy the challenge bow hunting needs in getting deer close for a good shot.

6. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I have not updated anybody. I have yet to shoot it! The cocking crank I purchased was not compatible. Waiting on the correct crank to come in. This sucks. I want to shoot it! Lol. The crank is supposed to come in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Will update after that.

7. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Crap! This thing hits hard. Is there a better target that will stop the bolts better than what I am using? I have a cheap Walmart block target. Just about blew all the way through it. I absolutely love this crossbow. Please let me know if you know of a good target that don't break the bank. Something that will stop these bolts...lol.

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They sell a yellow Target at Wally world for 24 dollars. It will do the job.

9. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spyder web targets are considered the best but they are pricey at $249. I have a Morrell double duty target. I bought it on Amazon for $69. I am very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the block and it works well.

11. SammyFLS

SammyFLS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am very glad that you did not give up hunting. Cool..

12. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the Spyderweb 14, It will run you around 85 bucks and will last you a really long time. Its the only target that will stop any and all crossbow arrows at any speed and you can pull the arrows out with one hand. Bag targets are fine till they get shot up and then you start tearing fletching with blow thrus.