Scouting some land and came across a creek.

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Killin tree, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Killin tree

Killin tree Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was scouting some land that i will be hunting in the fall and we came across a creek. Saw a bunch of carp. My buddy and i had to go back. We had some fun!!! Happy labor day

Attached Files:

2. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some nice fish, I'd like to try that sometime.

Killin tree likes this.
  3. Killin tree

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt call them nice fish since there invasive and ruin our lakes and such. Fun to shoot tho. Kill em all

4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "ruin our lakes and such"
    Prove it with specifics- place of study, who conducted the study, length of study, results of the study. Let's not deal with generalities. B.A.S. S lists the top 100 bass lakes in the US. It is interesting that the vast majority of them also hold good populations of common carp. Let's not get the common carp confused with silver carp, Bighead carp and Asian carp which are different species than the common carp.
    "Fun to shoot tho. Kill em all"- PETA would have a great time with that statement. This would reinforce their their stereotype of hunters and anglers.

pick00l likes this.
  5. Killin tree

Dislikes Received:
    your on a hunting forum. Im pretty sure peta knows we kill things. Your just a hater

6. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    You still haven't answered my request for information. Hater of what?

7. Killin tree

Dislikes Received:
    Your right there not invasive. There a nuisance and I personally do not like carp. You happy. Carp lover. Get off this page if you like carp for some odd reason

8. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I love to catch carp. That is just about all I have fished for the last 5 years. How many freshwater fish can weigh over 20 pounds each? My first three "official" carp weighed 34 lbs. even. That's 11.33 average each. I know of fellow carp anglers who catch four carp in a tournament that weigh more than a three day weigh-in at a bass tournament. Odd reason? Carp are a valued fish in Europe, generating $7 billion each year. Bowfishing is illegal in Europe. Europeans who move to the USA can't understand why we kill carp. It seems Europeans get along fine with carp and other fish in their countries.

9. Killin tree

Dislikes Received:
    This is america buddy. Move to europe

10. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Too far to drive. Besides there are plenty of carp here within a few minutes from home.

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1. Actually back in 1906 a NYS Fish and wild life biologist stated tbe introduction of carp was a fish culture tragedy. They produce an enzyme ,thiaminase, that actually kills game fish that feed on their young. They also destroy brown trout and rainbow habitats be eating the aquatic greens AND muddying up the waters. I grew up selling them to people for a 1.00 a piece on days they ruined my rainbow fishing. I have wittnessed good trout streams ruined by them and yes invasive.

12. thaechten

thaechten Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job got some good fish

13. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm. 1906? Sorry but what you indicate has been disproved in more recent times. To me, this post raises more questions than it solves. Carp can survive in conditions that other fish cannot tolerate, thus, the absence of, say, trout. Carp don't drive away fish. The fish leave for more favorable conditions. I can catch trout in the lower Hiwassee River in the winter but when the water warms up, they are gone. What about water temperatures? pH? Dissolved oxygen? I have been fishing for carp for over 8 years. Boats muddy the water more than any fish; have photos to prove it. I was told that the water is clear 10-12 feet down and a guy said he can see bottom. Plus it has produced good carp. The Top 100 Bass Lakes by BASS have good populations of carp. Lake Chickamauga, TN, has one record bass of 15-3 and another that missed by a couple of ounces...and good carp fishing.

14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So that post had me do an even deeper dive and there is study after study on this as well as a walk back on one for the great lakes, where I am , stating they are found worse than previuosly thought. ALSO That they are known to eat the young of native fish as well as rooting up and destroying habitat...My experience is my experience where I am ,so I cannot address yours. Though when looking through a wide swath of studies ACROSS the US I stand by my opinion.
    Easy to find just type in asian carp invasive species

15. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    First, name some of the studies with all the details. Carp minnows also provide forage for predators. I'm speaking both of personal experience and science. Asian carp does not include the common carp but includes silver carp, bighead carp, grass carp and black carp. I did a news item on them for a local TV station. If you know someone in the state fisheries department, have them look this study up.
    Wolfe, M. D., Santucci Jr., V. J., Einfalt, L. M., Wahl, D. H. (2009): Effects of Common Carp on Reproduction, Growth, and Survival of Largemouth Bass and Bluegills. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 135(5), 975-983.

16. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    thiaminase- there are many other species that have this chemical in their systems besides common carp. Cyprinids have 33 pages in my book. Research it, please. If it was a problem, predatory fish would have a very low population due to the many species that have thiaminase.