Buying a New Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Camato, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Camato

Camato Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I've been into bowhunting for the past ten years and have been shooting the little Bowtech Diamond Razor Edge my grandfather got for me in the second grade during the entirety of that time. Now I'm at the point where I want to get a new bow for myself, but since this is the first time I am the one purchasing, I'm unsure of which route to take. On one hand, I've been checking out the new V3. I've shot it several times and the thing is ridiculously silent and smooth (though I'm coming from a 10 yo youth bow, so not much to compare it to). On the other hand, one of my hunting mentors who got the Triac and dealt with the derailing problems told me to never buy a Mathews and go instead with the significantly less expensive Bear Divergent EKO and just customize it the same way.

Honestly, I'm torn as to how I should proceed with this. Do I get the best of the best within a range I can afford I do I drop down to another great bow that is cheaper but more of a compromise?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been of the opinion that you should purchase the best you can afford within your budget. When it comes to bows, you should also buy the one you want and the one you enjoy shooting the most. Either the V3 or the Divergent will kill stuff just fine.

Speaking from personal experience and from seeing friends go through this same thing, I would advise you to buy the bow you really want. It sounds like you want the V3, but you're trying to talk yourself out of it and into the Divergent. If that's the case and you buy the cheaper bow, you'll wind up always wanting that other bow, and likely getting it, or another bow, in the next couple of years. I've seen it time and time again.

As for the comment about the Triax - I've never heard of anyone having derailing issues with any of the Crosscentric cam bows. I've owned every one of them since the Halon and have had zero issues.

Wop 75 likes this.
  3. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been drinking the Mathews Koop aid since 2010. Started with the z7, then Chill, now V3. With that said shoot as many as you can buy what feels right [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wop 75 and grommel like this.
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Justin above nailed much of my thoughts as well.

I've also been the guy that could have afforded better but didn't think it necessary; bought a "cheap" Mission Venture and killed a ton of deer with it just fine....my current Elite 32 I bought used and it has killed a TON of deer. Both I had shot the model previously and knew I loved the draw cycle. To me it is ignorant for anyone to say they're leaning or desire a certain bow unless they've shot it or one which shares perhaps your favorite cam technology or design feature...even then though once you draw it there is ZERO guarantee you'll like it.

Personally I've flirted with buying a new bow two years now...I have ALWAYS desired to go back to Mathews because of the men behind it, shoot their Mission line and what they do with the profits of that company is a MASSIVE blessing to the Earth. However, while I have zero bad to say about the V3 or the Triax or the Chill or ANY Mathews bow over the last 6 years or so (have shot all of them at the shop)....the draw cycle of the Elites has always suited me feel wise more. It honestly makes me mad to a point that right now if I walked into a bow shop the Kure is most likely the bow I'm getting not the V3 - but in the end I think too many pay attention to the brand than to what feels right for them.

I mean not everyone is a pale ale guy - no matter how much you wish you did...some simply like a Busch Latte and nothing more LOL

*Also don't forget calculating your all in budget is NOT just the bow. Factor in your release if new is needed, rest, quiver, sight....I've chosen with both of my last two purchases to go cheaper on the bow to ensure I get the sight and rest I wanted - plus my arrow build desired.

Wop 75 and OhioHunter72 like this.
  5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go and shoot as many different brands and bows as you possibly can. That is the only way you will feel when it is right no matter what the best seller is that's out there. When you do find some you like that is when you can do some research on problems, warranty, etc.. The last bow I did just that with and I am still shooting it today, 5 years later, because I love shooting it that much.

Wop 75 likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wife has a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro and our grandson is learning on it. Adjusts for a wide range of draw lengths and draw weight to 70 lb. Sells at Lancaster Archery Supply, a partner, for $349. Sometimes they have free shipping for certain amount of sales. I have shot it and would buy one if I ever get the urge to buy a new bow. But, as others say, look at your budget, visit a shop and try different bows. Good luck for the coming season!

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get what you want. You only live once. You may pay alot for a bow and it may lose value quick but you can hang onto it for awhile like the one you have now and get your moneys worth or if finances allow you can upgrade again. Fwiw i would shoot some tier 2 bows along with the flagships. Mathews Bear Hoyt etc all have nice bows for 600-800 dollar range. Put the savings toward a better sight, rest etc.

Fix likes this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is great advice.
    Let us know what you decide

9. Camato

Camato Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all so much for the advice. That was a lot more than I was expecting and all of it was incredibly helpful. I'm planning on going to a bow shop sometime in the next week to shoot some different bows just to see which one feels best. Again, thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interested to see what you decide on

11. jr-acoustic

jr-acoustic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the end, one bow will “jump” out to you. It will hit all of YOUR criteria. That will be the one you should buy! Let us know how you decide!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is far and away the best plan. When in the market for a new bow, research ones that have the specs you desire. Then go shoot them and pick the one that feels the best to you.