Heavy Arrow Setup

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by frankmcd, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    how does a 26.5" 350 piledriver out of my 70 lb vertix at 26.5: draw length for a total weight of 445 gr sound?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like it needs anutter fiddy

dnoodles, LittleChief and DarkTater like this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    easy.... I am easing into this heavy arrow bit:chewy:

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You don't "ease" into a demolition derby. You go in full force. :tu:

cantexian, Vabowman and DarkTater like this.
  5. DarkTater

DarkTater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went out to shoot yesterday, and accidentally grabbed one of my light arrows as well as the heavies. After shooting the 'regular' arrows, I aimed low and let the light one fly. The difference in sound is amazing!

cantexian likes this.
  6. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that's exactly where I am at and I love it. same draw,weight,bow and arrow weight

7. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Personally for compound I always liked being 500gr plus. Even Ashby says there is a diminishing return if you are shooting 250fps or better.

So I will tune for those two numbers in mind. 260-270 FPS 500-550 grain TOA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt I will see 260 fps at 500+ gr

9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Geez, could we all imagine sitting around a campfire with Fred Bear and discussing this topic?:lol:

frankmcd likes this.
  10. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Trad now and my arrows are 595 and 50# on the fingers. Fred would be ok with that I think

cantexian and DarkTater like this.
  11. Sharp things

Sharp things Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As the 41:45 mark of the video he thanks those that make his bowhunting life better and more lethal. I spent some time on the phone and via text helping Aaron get his cutthroats razor sharp. These are a good bunch of guys and im glad to see more folks adopting the heavy arrow mantra that some of us have already been doing for decades. The same is true of Troy (Ranch Fairy) I got all of them hooked up with the stuff they need to be more lethal. Its working out well for them.

DarkTater likes this.
  12. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey folks,
    I am also looking to build a heavier setup for deer this year. I shoot an Elite Synergy with a 28" draw. I currently use axis 5mm 340's with 50 grain brass and a 10 grain collar. 100 grain fixed blade head. My idea is a 300 spine axis, 50 grain brass and 10 grain collar with anywhere from a 150 to 200 grain head. The 150 would have me pretty stiff and the 200 would have me right at the optimum line on the OT2go app. Maybe a 175 head? I did not know if anyone ran a similar set up. I believe I would be at 535 to 585 grains depending on the weight of the head. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

13. Sharp things

Dislikes Received:
    When I outfit a bowhunter for heavy weight and high FOC, I strive to put the weight into the metal of the head rather than the insert. You did not mention what your draw weight is. In setting up a compounder I start at 9 grains per pound of draw weight for a heavy setup. (Personally Im at 12.0 grains per pound flinging a 770 grain arrow from a 64 pound bowtech.) and about 22% FOC

Why the desire to use a 100 grain head when so many great options are out there in heavier weights??????

14. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    70 pound draw. I appreciate the guidance. I only currently use 100 grain heads because it’s what I’ve always had. When I build the new system I won’t be using them. I am looking to go heavy in the front. It could be standard inserts or iron will has the 15 grain titanium hit insert. It’s all new ish to me so I welcome your advice.

15. Sharp things

Dislikes Received:
    at 70 pounds and your desire to use a "heavy" setup and I will assume high FOC that guys like me have been using for decades (even though the ranch fairy guy makes it sound like its a new system he invented) you would do well to invest in top quality, heavy heads so the steel (not aluminum) is what meets the target first. What are your target species you intent to bowhunt? At any rate, something in the 600 grain and 20% FOC would give you great results and increase the likelihood of a pass through and less fear of the shoulder if you use the proper broadhead.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  16. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at the iron will lineup. First it was the solids or new single bevel but being it would be mainly whitetail, bill recommended the wide. The new tuffhead evolution in 200 grain has my attention as well. I want durability with an ability to sharpen. Blade retention is pretty important as well. I have been playing with that software to find a system that won’t underspine me. I don’t know if I could get to 600 with a 300 spine. I’d go 260 if need be but looks like I’d be pretty stiff. I believe at 585 with the 300 spine I’d be over 19%. I’m open to all build suggestions though. Thanks again.

17. mt fighter

mt fighter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been talking to these guys recently about getting set up. I’ve looked into the whole process of bare shaft tuning etc etc when switching to a heavier arrow setup. I plan on switching over although nothing too crazy. I’ve had several bad experiences with rages and am making the switch to fixed with a heavier arrow. These guys can help you get set up with whatever arrow type you want, heavy, light, in between, and tailor it to your specific bow setup. I think I’m gonna give it a try and see how it goes.

https://vectorcustomshop.com/

18. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Several bad experiences? What seems to be the issue? I have been using Rage for 10 years and have killed well over 40 deer and never have seen an issue. The reason I ask is that it could be the current set up that you use . Arrow weight, draw weight, tune, etc...The head may not be the issue at all.

19. mt fighter

mt fighter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a nice buck a few years ago and it hit shoulder. Heard the smack, deer ran off with arrow in him. Found arrow about fifteen yards away, it only penetrated a few inches and stopped when hit bone. I’ve had one deflect off ribs. I’ve had Broadhead deploy early. When they work they work fantastic. But I’ve had more times then not they don’t work for me. And before anyone says we’ll don’t hit the shoulder, it’s not like I planned on it. Things happen. I just wanna give myself the best opportunity to kill a deer. Plus I hate sitting in the tree with equipment I’m not confident with. Maybe I’ll switch and hate it. Idk. But it’s worth a try.

20. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand. You got to feel confident in the woods. I personally feel more confident with a Rage head. If I make a bad shot, it's usually too far back or too low or too high. It has saved me many times using a Rage head. I have never had one deploy early or not deploy. I suppose it could happen though. I like the damage they cause, the blood trails and short recovery.