Homemade broadhead project

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Sharp things, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Sharp things

Sharp things Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive killed deer and bear with homemade broadheads in the past but they were 2 blade, single bevel designs I built. I shot them at the end of homeade arrow fletched with the feathers of Turkey Id killed. I launched them from a homemade longbow I designed and made.

This DIY homemade broadhead is a bit different. It will weigh 250 grains as that is my preferred weight in a broadhead. Roughly 91% of bowhunters that target deer use a 100 or 125 grain head. Its not my intention to ever market this head for many reasons but weight is a big one, It would appeal to less than 10% of the bowhunting community and Ive got so many projects in the works I dont have the bandwidth to bring another bowhunting product to market.

Ive got an Africa bowhunt this coming fall and Id like to take them on that traveling bowhunt but there is a lot of testing to do in advance.

Here, Im making the first set of blades. Its a work in progress. Im still waiting on the delivery of some small screws to secure the blades. Then do flight and destructive tests. Then travel around and kill some critters to evaluate performance

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Wop 75 likes this.
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing like DIY bow, arrows and broadheads. Question- Are they legal for where you are hunting in Africa?

3. Sharp things

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I cant imagine why they would not be. They are not mechanical or barbed. What broadhead legality are you thinking?

4. Sharp things

Dislikes Received:
    Today I spent some time working on the other blades for this DIY project. It was a good time to talk about sharpening and the importance of getting a burr. Regardless of the tool you use to sharpen your broadhead blades, its the establishment of the burr and being able to recognize it that is the key to a razor's edge. Every bowhunter that sharpens their blades needs to understand this simple truth. Whether you use a tool or guide or just freehand your broadhead sharpening, getting and recognizing the burr will make your broadhead sharpening far easier and faster.

5. goldtipxt

goldtipxt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: