Theodore Roosevelt “Hunting the Mule Deer”

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by beavertronic, Dec 31, 2020.

1. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Recently read a passage from TR that really hit home and made me reflect on the thought of hunting becoming a “rich man’s” sport. For background he was writing about how states need to pass regulations to allow for all to enjoy hunting opportunities.

“If we are really alive to our opportunities under our democratic social and political system, we can keep for ourselves—and by ‘ourselves’ I mean the enormous bulk of men whose means range from moderate to very small—ample opportunity for the enjoyment of hunting and shooting, of vigorous and blood-stirring out-of-doors sport.”

As the price of land goes up and public land becomes harder to get to or under scrutiny it is interesting to read this and see the implications across the entire US. TR had his faults but he certainly had the conservation/sportsmen’s model in mind.

Just thought I would share this as it really made me think.

axtell343 likes this.
  2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My father said this to me over 50 years ago. Eventually I believe it will become true.

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone go through a list of things needed to start hunting- guns or archery, clothes, tree stands, licenses, etc.? This is going to vary depending on the type of game one pursues. Fishing is a lot cheaper. One can leave out the boat and fish from the bank. I've been doing this for about 25 years after I sold my bass boat.