Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up my deer tonight, played jinga with the chest freezer and got it to fit finally.

Definitely need to do some rearranging this weekend. Got 55lbs of burger back in 1lb sausage packaging so will likely move that to the upright stacked like a cord of logs :lol:

Looking throughr the upright I have quite a bit if meat I shoyld probably discard. 5-6 year old gator meat, pork ribs 2-3 years old. Betting I could get another deer in it once cleaned up.

Gear is still loaded in the truck, haven't given up yet.

MUDSHARK, Rjhart12pt and Holt like this.
  2. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend will be the first weekend I have stayed home since Halloween. I saw a 3 year old 8 point last weekend but I refuse to shoot a young deer in Ohio. The big bucks tend to get pushed into our property during gun season, so I'm hoping next weekend I maybe able to connect with a mature one. Still going at it.

dprsdhunter and cls74 like this.
  3. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys, missed again. I had a nice 8 point buck tonight following a doe at 23 yds and shot right over top of it. Just found my arrow and it was a clean miss. I'm 2 for 2 on misses.one under, one over. Don't know what to say. Walked right under my stand. Waited for him to get out to around 20 yards. Turned to the right, I stopped him slightly quartering away, everything you could ask for and blew the shot. Took my time, took a breath, settled in right behind shoulder. If he ducked, it wasn't but a couple inches by the time the arrow flew over his back. Keep trying to figure out what went wrong. Be back out this weekend sometime.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Wop 75 likes this.
  4. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wop 75 and MUDSHARK like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    all i can say is this is turning out to be my worst season yet. still late season to go.

7. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    a week ago i was in my blind and there was a some snow on the roof and it suddenly collapsed on me. the bolt in the center hub laid my head wide open. there was blood freakin everywhere. it took me a few minutes to get the bleeding to stop and the roof popped back up. i managed to stay and keep hunting after it all happened. i ended up having a slight concussion and probably shouldve had stitches. all is well now my head is still a little tender but good. i have now learned to keep a prop under the hub anytime there is stuff on the roof weather it's brush or snow. lesson learned!

8. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't have any luck this past weekend but a new buck showed up. I've named him splits. I'm headed back on Christmas morning.

Attached Files:

cls74 and Holt like this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy, glad all ended well.

Reminds me of a time I was hunting early on at my uncle's. We navigated the property, which did me no good :lol: , a few days before gun season. Showed me multiple tree stands and one ground blind. Ground blind was for another hunter and child that year. Had a late Winter heavy snow with freezing rain or maybe even ice storm can't remember which. Tried to find it the following season when I finally set foot to the land and figured out where the rest of the property was :lol: Was completely trampled from a few limbs and likely heavy wet snow and ice. Made me weary of setting a blind up inside the woods and hunting windy days.

I did end up rattling for the first time ever and from it or not had a wide 6 come in 20 yds in front of me. was afraid to shoot as it was the first big buck I had seen, snuck out and got behind where I thought he would emerge, waited at full draw, finally let down and stepped forward a few steps to see his ass end walking away still on the other side of the creek.

10. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Merry Christmas Team 5! Hoping to put a buck on the ground this weekend. Leaving this morning and will be on stand by 1:30. High today with snow on the ground is 19 and 14 forecasted for the morning. Hunt the food source.

Holt likes this.
  11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck dmax!

Merry Christmas team!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Well splits showed up yesterday on a 12 degree morning. I ended up losing my phone in the snow somewhere. I took a picture of it where it fell and texted my wife and that's the last I remember it. Fortunately the farmer that makes our hay stopped by and took a couple pictures with his flip phone. Not sure they will be accepted but that's all I got.

Attached Files:

Rjhart12pt, Holt and cls74 like this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, way to get it done in the late season!

Congrats, I'd submit them while not clear they do clearly show hunter, bow and deer :lol:

dmax4me likes this.
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! What a great buck! I see no problem either with the pics.

Tell the story of how it went down when you get a chance. Love to hear it!

dmax4me likes this.
  15. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Splits showed up at the end of Ohio's gun season. He had been coming in every couple of days but never has he showed up in daylight. I'm glad there was snow on the ground. He showed up before daybreak but I could just barely make out a rack. I strained for several minute to make sure it wasn't the 3.5 year old 8 point that I have several pictures of. Once I could tell he had 4 on one side, he faced directly towards me for several minutes feeding. Something alerted him on the trail in. He turned and slowly started to walk away quartering really hard. I aimed for his last rib and let one fly. With snow on the ground I could still hear him going out through the woods and what sounded like a crash. I waited 45 minutes and headed to my illuminated knock and it was covered. I could instantly see blood sprayed all over the place. He went about 45 yards trying to get back up to the upper trail, but didn't make it. My largest buck to date is a 147" that I took in Ohio in 2011. I haven't taken a buck in Ohio for the past 3 years, passing on 125 & 130 inch bucks, so they could get older. I know this deer is at least a 5 year old based on the mass. I forgot to measure that little point that's about 1/2" on his right brow. That would have made him an even 165". I am very happy. It's been a long season and I'm glad it has had a good ending.

cls74 and Holt like this.
  16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish the private land I hunt had some late season opportunities on bucks, hell, doesn't offer up much for early season either other than acorns.

Congrats again on a stud, that 1/2" point wouldn't count anyway. Has to be 1" in length and cannot be wider than it's length.

dmax4me likes this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you ever get a chance to get out on Christmas morning?

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, I wussed out with the 20+ w8nds and below zero windchills. Hard to get that motivated for a deer I don't really need :lol:

Holt likes this.
  19. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like we are in 10th place. Who's left that's still hunting a buck?
    cls74, Did Shane ever make any posts?

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think there are about 4 guys that never came back after they checked in. It's ashamed, because if they had participated, we might have had a good shot at this. But it happens to most teams.