A decoy, sitting on the ground, all on video ... self filmed.

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by DEC, Nov 9, 2020.

1. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So last Tuesday evening, I decided to make something happen. The forecast was 7+ days of warm south winds. My hunting time has been limited this year due to an accident that my wife had in June, so I am still playing nurse husband. I only have short windows of time to hunt this year. I grabbed the decoy, put the wind in my face, sat on the ground turkey hunting style ... and then this happened.

This was 100% self filmed with four cameras.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dude this was excellently done!!!

DEC likes this.
  3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hats off sir.

DEC likes this.
  5. Ingo Sundowner

Ingo Sundowner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoyed that, thanks for posting

DEC likes this.
  6. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job.... loved the drone shot. That was a ton of work. Guys who dont film dont understand just how hard it is and the work involved. I loved it

still waitin on the Rode wireless review!

DEC likes this.
  7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will do a review on the Rode wireless. I haven't produced much lately. The weather lately has been nasty and cold. Also, I dealt with a ton in 2020 (my wife almost died in an accident), so life is just now getting back to "normal" and there are a lot of things that she and I have wanted to do that have taken some precedence over the past couple of months for me. I promise that I will do a review on that mic. I also have several other videos planned in the near future related to self filming, saddles, and other gear. :cool:

8. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine should arrive tues. Just wanted to see a review from a hunters perspective. Watched quite a few from non hunters. Was curious if the power holds up in a 7 hr sit in a tree in the cold! Also i was thinking of swapping to this setup in place of my Rode shotgun mic. Any opinion on that?
    Hope the wife recovers soon!

DEC likes this.
  9. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine just arrived. Took it out of the box. It paired almost instantly. Did a couple quick tests with the canon HFG30. used the shotgun mic then the wireless go. The clip wouldn't fit on my back shoe mount but did on the front. Watched a video where you can use both mics one on each channel for dual audio...shotgun and wireless go at the same time thru a splitter. need way more experimenting. Was trying to get away from the shotgun furry mount due to its size and possibility of breaking off the camera. Heading to fl. for a hog hunt in 45 days I hope and got the go wireless just for the compactness of it as well ads ease of use! will be experimenting in the coming days

10. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you can buy an audio splitter cable on Amazon for under $10. Then you can connect the wireless to one channel and the shotgun mic to the other channel. Then in post, you can duplicate the audio channels and then run one track with duplicate wireless and the other with duplicate shotgun if you want to, or just use whichever audio channel as you want to for your track. Lots of options and a pretty simple/inexpensive solution. I have done it this way a handful of times. But since I generally self film, I usually just pick one mic over the other.

I am actually doing some stuff today on that video that you are wanting about the mic. It will take a few days but I will throw something together.

11. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    8C0A2F44-9E8C-44C5-98EE-177C6F8986A2.jpeg 81C97E68-4561-4B12-8D94-73A91FFDD5EE.jpeg 8C0A2F44-9E8C-44C5-98EE-177C6F8986A2.jpeg
    Got my new toy from B/H photo yesterday. Its a wireless mic setup for filming my FL hog hunt if it happens. One little square clips to your lapel or hat which is the transmitter and the other clips to the hot or cold shoe on the camera with that red “pigtail” get it to record the audio to the camera. There is much testing to be done to get the correct audio settings so i don't underaudio or clip record which would be too loud. If the weather is decent tomorrow i will go to the club and experiment with outdoor audio levels. All this is just like prepping for the hunt like shooting your bow and practicing your hunting rituals. Think about tryna draw down on that 4.5 yr old 10 pointer. Now throw filming into the mix with a hundred more variables.
    I have to thank Pat Lefemine for his help many years ago when he wrote an article on filming hunts. He helped me many ways in getting started filming. That was back in the days of tape cameras. On second thought maybe i should curse him for addicting me to filming and spending thousands on gear to do it!

DEC likes this.