How to Stay Warm on Stand--vid

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhuntr64, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out my latest vid on this pertinent topic for this time of the year. I hope it's helpful. What are some of your favorite tips?

pastorjim08 and dnoodles like this.
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tip on the iwom. I've never had any experience with one of those.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good video! I tend to go a bit farther than you, more like +1.5 miles however, do most of this same routine. People look at you funny when it is below 32 and you hike in with pants, long-sleeve T-shirt, and no hat. Here is a tip, if your ears are cold, use cheap ear muffs and remove them half way into the hike. Also upgraded to a bigger pack this year to ensure I could fit it all. Another difference, I use multiple baselayers if I am just sitting for the day. Makes the load very packable and lighter. Using MCWCS layers. I will give the artic outers a try, have not done that.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Iwom.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have come up with a system that works excellent for myself and cost nothing. Go to your local pharmacy and buy one of those heat wrap things you wrap around your lower back for pain. They have one that is just a elestic band with velcro and two pockets in them. Take two of those super sized handwarmers and put in the pouch and put it on your kidneys area over your first base layer. Good to go for 18 hours of heat on your core. I also found that as age and my persistent lower back probems... it really helps keep my back from freaking out on those long days in the stand.

I may splurge and get the Pnuma heated vest base layer to replace that system as the handwarmer thing.. I go through a ton of them during a season.

I put antiperspirant on my feet before I put my socks on. This helped keep my feet much more confortable with a 800gram boot that is one size bigger than i normally wear.

These little tricks, with my Sitka Fanatic system, I can sit into the low teens without much of an issue.

6. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been walking in just like you describe with bare minimum on and carrying everything else. I haven’t found a decent backpack that can carry it all. I want to upgrade to one that can carry plenty of gear maybe with side pockets for flashlights etc. Any suggestions?

8. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not up on what makes a great pack however, I have purchased a few in the past 3 years and used this one very heavy this season. It has held up decent. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XGB8RSG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found it very hard to understand the available space. This one is 75l and seemed well priced (got it for about 76 bucks). I also liked I could get it in olive green. Will it hold up 3-5 more seasons, I have no idea yet. My previous pack was getting too small but, was abused for several seasons and can go several more. It was also black and with the expanded bear seasons in PA, was not in my best interest to keep using that color.

I needed alot of room to pack and this one does a good job. What was very important to me was that I could have two straps on each side to attach a folding chair or attach additional gear. Also wanted a quality hip padding and strap. has those features. Also adjustable for height of person.

9. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just yesterday I finally got my dad to try this out. He really liked it.

muzzyman88 likes this.
  10. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tip. This looks good

11. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

12. kyner

kyner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the Pictures It really helps. I just placed the order for it Thanks :biggrin: