Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Upon reading much of this discussion, I’m getting very intrigued with the saddle idea.
    Is the Tethrd system the “only” way to go or is the hawk saddle as good. I’ve been looking into the cost differential and it appears significant. I’m the type of person that will spend the money if it’s justified, but would, of course, like to save a few dollars if everything is equal. A little discussion on the quality of the different options would be greatly appreciated. I’m virtually always the type of person that states, “you get what you pay for”.

If I would have had this option earlier this year, I would have been able to tag my target buck rather than watch him walk by on the opposite side of the tree line I was hunting that has few suitable trees to put a hang on stand in. The trees that would have worked, would have been incredibly uncomfortable/borderline dangerous given the leaning angle of the tree. I believe a saddle would have given me the options to get elevated rather than hunting from the ground, which I don’t really like doing. I’ve been busted too many times trying to draw on a deer, even wearing my ghille suit.
    Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have Facebook go join the “saddle Hunter “ page. They have a lot of good info there and guys will to help out. There are a ton of saddle options out there but most suggest to stay away from hawk. A lot to do with quality and customer service. They kinda jumped into the game because it was a cool new thing. There are companies like tethrd , latitude, aero hunter, and theophylline that I would look into first before hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are several good companies out there that make saddles Tethrd and Aerohunter being to two most well known and reputable companies. Personally, I would not trust a product from Hawk right now. During this past year, they have had several quality control issues with other products that they offer. Personally, I use an Aerohunter saddle. Other than personal comfort, the parent company of Aerohunter, New Tribe, has been in business for 30 years making saddles for arborists. The Hawk saddle is a brand new product for them. Join the Saddlehunter Facebook group. You can often find great deals on gently used products.

dnoodles and Oly44 like this.
  4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    pretty much the same info posted at the same time.

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Oly44 likes this.
  6. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look into the JX3 Hybrid. It is my favorite saddle. It is comfortable and puts no pressure on your knees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dnoodles likes this.
  7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can only speak for Tethrd, but I would spend the little extra to get a saddle from TETHRD or aero, or one of the other actual saddle companies. I have the mantis and it has some things that need to be addressed, it’s a good saddle though. You could probably pick one up cheaper from someone looking to “upgrade”. I’ll probably buy a different saddle from Tethrd or Aero after this season is over.
    I would pass on Hawk, I won’t speak bad about a company unless it’s needed, but the mini sticks I bought from them have easily addressed quality issues.

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same for me, like the saddle but HATE sticks.
    Ended up doing most of my sits in a x-stand climber wearing the saddle and doing both styles...sometimes facing the tree, sometimes back to the tree in the seat.

I only hunt a few areas where I can't get in a tree that doesn't work with a climber.

9. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I, too, have fallen down the saddle hole. I bought a Tetherd Phantom and linemans, tether and ropeman for a great deal and will be learning to use it in the spring. Ive got my eye on the muddy pro sticks and haven't thought of platform yet. Probably just go with the Predator from Tetherd but anyone have suggestions?

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you want to spend. If you don’t have sticks yet. Look around lots of good options out there. If you are okay with a little more weight and bulk then muddy or LW are good. But there are sticks that are under 2 pounds per stick tethrd has one that’s right at 1 pound per stick and they are more compact. It all depends on what you want to spend and how you want your setup to be as far as weight and bulk

For me. I already have the LW sticks. So I’m just going to do a couple mods to them. I plan on getting a platform from OOAL that attaches to the top of the stick. It’s one less thing to carry in and setup.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  11. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    what is OOAL?

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    jonderrs7 likes this.
  13. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    this site is awesome, thank you.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad this thread was revitalized. I've been reading, researching, etc and am intrigued by the saddles. Couple of things are holding me back at the moment. One, to get into it correctly and get the needed stuff to make the whole thing enjoyable, its a pretty substantial investment. Especially considering that you're buying blind and not able to try something like this out first. Its not like buying a treestand where you kind of already know what you're getting.

Secondly, I've been following a lot of the social media stuff for saddle hunters and its a lot to digest and sort through. I still can't wrap my head around all the crap these guys are taking to the woods with them and saying its easier, faster, quieter, etc. One stick, sticks with aiders, amsteel upgrades, ropemans, platforms, etc. I just couldn't imagine trying to do all that crap in the dark.

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For those that wonder if Tethrd and the other big names are all that's out there, check out H2 made in Blanchard MI. I got one last year because SaddleHunter threads had them pretty highly rated and their lead time was half that of Tethrd. Very happy with the quality.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It’s definitely a investment. If you’re on facebook you might be able to find a guy or two around you that would let you try out their gear to get a better idea. But if can’t do that and you find out you don’t like a certain piece of gear you can pretty much get what you paid for it since there are so many people looking for it right now.

There are ton of good YouTube videos explaining gear and some of those mods people are doing. G2 outdoors is one that I watched a lot.

17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys can use your existing equipment to saddle hunt. If you use a climber, just use the seat as your platform. If you feel it's to small, use the base platform. Any climbing method you use now will work. The saddle is the only thing you need to buy. After that you can add stuff that will make it easier. My only suggestion is if your use to hunting and shooting off a platform, get the biggest platform you can. Or try a lock on and take the seat off just to try it out. It's not that big of investment. When I first tryed it, it cost me less then $50 to try it. Sit Drags are very cheap way just to try it and see if you like it. Best way is to meet up with a saddle hunter and try is equipped, most are very willing to help a fellow hunter out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cantexian likes this.
  18. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to find my Tetherd Phantom saddle, lineman rope, tether and Ropeman used for a few sits from another hunter - looks brand new. It is daunting at first but I am just piecing things together as I go and hopefully will be ready for next season.

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    My set up is simple, three sticks and a platform. I do have some mil-spec climbing straps attached to the bottom of my steps to make them longer, I am too short to get to 20 feet with just three sticks. Otherwise, not much different than using a hang on and sticks, just a smaller platform and less to carry in.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  20. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never thought at my age that I would be considering saddle hunting. But after watching some Eberhart videos and listening to what he was saying, I am really thinking seriously on it. I've been doing alot of research, and without physically trying one on, I have narrowed it down to three. The Trophyline, Cruzr XC, and the H2, with the Cruzr XC having a slight lead in my mind. I really like the JX3 hybrid as well but it doesn't seem very minimalist to me, although it looks like it would be the most comfortable. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't want one of those little foot platforms. I think having that in addition to the climbing sticks pretty much would be like doing a run and gun with a lone wolf or something. Instead, I think I would prefer having something attached to the the top of one of my climbing sticks and letting that serve as a foot platform. I saw a YouTube video where a guy bolted on a wide piece of aluminum to the top step of his hawk helium sticks and that seemed to work pretty well. With a little thought, I think there all kinds of mods you could make to a climbing stick and have an effective system for maintaining yourself in the tree. So what say you all, has anyone used the aforementioned saddles and do you have other ideas about climbing or foot platforms? I just wanna be a bruh! @Swamp Stalker

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Swamp Stalker likes this.