Mathews V3...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just watched Justin's review. As always he did a great job giving all the details about the new things they came up with. I like the looks of it. I don't quite understand the 27" ATA. I was under the impression that the 28: Triax and VXR were something a lot of folks didn't like. I personally like a 30" ATA and that's why I bought the Verix, although I have handled not shot the VXR 28 and it really feels like a lighter version of the Vertix. Im thinking I will buy my son a VXR 28 some time this winter/spring if his draw length can grow a bit more. I also went on the website and really liked another bow they have 2021. The Prima. Nice 30" ATA and made for short draw people. No switch weight tech is the only downside IMO. Overall, there were a few bows they came out with that may interest some and not others...Bowtech also came out with some really nice bows...Have not looked at Hoyt. Elite stayed pretty much the same but did have one called the Whitetail I think, that was a neat looking bow.. It's always cool to see what they come out with every year..

2. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do not see the V3 being any more of an upgrade over the VXR. I hope they do not discontinue the VXR, as it is a really nice shooting bow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

bigfoot16 and Vabowman like this.
  3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They typically keep selling models for two years minimum.

Vabowman likes this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yawn...more smoke and mirrors from bow companies.

jonderrs7 and pick00l like this.
  5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, sure small tweak here or there, but literally same different lengths.

6. Mike Lombard

Mike Lombard Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot one today at the bow shop. Very dead in the hand, zero detachable vibration. Nice Bow but too much $$ for me.

7. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    More dead in the hand than the VXR? How much are they asking for it?

8. Mike Lombard

Mike Lombard Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think he stated around $1180 bare bow. VXR...I've not shot...so I can't say if it was deader in the hand than that...I just didn't feel any Vibration.

9. Mike Lombard

Mike Lombard Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was in getting a new string on my Mission Switch...thats how much I have to spend...lol

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a Mathews guy at all. Just never liked how they felt. My best friend bought a VXR 31.5 that he gave to me to get setup for him. That bow, I think, is one of the best they ever built and would be hard for them to top. I enjoyed shooting it. If it had a bit bigger brace height I may have been tempted. I will not own a 6" brace hunting bow. I felt the draw cycle wasn't anything incredible.. nice.. but not quite what I hoped for. Speeds were good, but if I'm sacrificing that much brace height.. i'd expect a 350fps bow. But I understand what these companies are doing. In order to make a pleasant or easy drawing cam on a bow but still get great speeds, it has to come at the expense of brace height.

With that said, the V3, as Justin pointed out is probably not much of an upgrade if you own a VXR. I do like the roller guard change to put that in the center of the cables. That makes perfect sense if you're using a rigid guard and not a flex guard.

I don't quite understand Mathews thinking. If you peruse any forum talking about Mathews wishlists... you will see a ton of people asking for a bit longer ATA and larger brace bow. Instead they spit out another almost carbon copy of the VXR with a roller guard change. The Traverse, many people said was their best release in last few years, but that bow never got the fan fair that their flagships did because of marketing.

All things considered, its getting REALLY hard for these companies to come out with ground breaking designs and such year after year. I actually expected a bit of a letdown with the 2021 Mathews simply because the VXR was so good last year. But I really hoped Mathews would listen to the masses and give us some different spec'd bows, not last years bows with a different sticker on the limb.

11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh i agree. I got the 30" ATA Vertix and it's perfect for me. I am short. 5'7 on a good day. draw length is 26.5" so it fits me well. even for me the vxr 28 felt too short. still, I could have hunted and shot with it easily. The newer bows with a 6" brace don't bother me anymore. back 5-10 years ago I couldn't shoot one. I have since been able to shoot them fairly well now. Not great, but I couldn't shoot any bow "great". I don't do 3d or indoor. I am just a bowhunter. I shoot about 3 months out of the year. Anyways, I was shocked to see a 27" ATA from them..I think a 30", 32" and 33" is what most prefer.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That trend has been happening for a decade now. Seems like we're seeing a new platform that's truly innovative or different about every 5 years, give or take. Much like vehicles when you think about it. Release a model, make minor improvements for 4-5 years along the way, and then release the new version.

The VXR is one of my favorite Mathews bows to date - along with the Traverse that you mentioned. The Traverse is the one bow I've held onto for a few years even though I don't use it all the time. I just love that bow. I wish it had the switchweight mods so I could kick it down to a 50-60 lb bow for target shooting. I may just suck it up and order a new set of limbs for it at some point. I think that's my "forever" bow that will be handed down to my kids one day.

With all that said, I think the V3 is going to be another hit as it shoots every bit as good as the VXR, if not better. Mine is out getting strings made for it right now, but I plan on doing a video on my full build process when it gets back. I haven't shot it enough to say I love it more than my VXR, but it's certainly right there.

I have zero information to back this up, but I would bet we see a new platform from Mathews next year. I would love to see them address tuning without the need for a tophat swap and if they could figure out some way to adjust cam timing without the need to press the bow and twist the cables, that would be amazing. I have no idea how you would do it, but I would sure like to see them try. Outside of those two things, there's nothing I would change on these bows. I don't mind the 6" brace height at all.

13. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, where would you rank the Vertix among all Mathews bows?

14. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My V3 27 just got delivered to the shop today. I really liked my VXR 31.5 but wanted to go back to a shorter model. Excited to get it out for some late season action.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I was just disheartened to hear from Mission that yet again no flagship compound was set to release. The MXR and the Ballistic broke the mold IMO for being insanely good for the money, but I just couldn't let go of my Elite 32 at the time. I was however strongly considering getting what they're 2021 "flagship" bow and nothing...and I for one am slightly worried that Mission is slowly going to die to the concept of delivering compounds to folks not youth and women. Crossbows are their push towards the experienced hunters IMO...and I sense with some patents Mathews/Mission applied for in the crossbow technology signals that even more.

16. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    rknierim likes this.
  17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably takes a few years for feedback to effect design. By the time they’re getting quantity of feedback on the vxr the v3 was probably in production

18. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Still shooting my e32. What did you move on to and was it worth it?

19. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I only tried older Mathews models like z7 and switchback back in those days. They weren’t for me. Fast fwd to the nocam then the halon when I came back from a stint away from bowhunting and the Mathews bows still didn’t feel great to me so I bought an elite about 5 yrs ago. Fast fwd to the vxr that I shot at bow shop. That thing felt like a dream to me when I shot it. I did like the 31.5 a smidge better than the 28 but I loved it so much I talked a buddy who was getting back into bowhunting into trying it. He was sold after the first shot. I’m really wanting to build a heavier setup because I already have a lighter one and I’m heading after elk in 1-2 yrs. I see it being a Mathews bow as of right now unless something else can change my mind. Will purchase 2021