Team 15 Buck Lives Matter

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by Bone Head Hunter, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got it done this Morning!

214... That should help our score#

20201113_105302.jpg 20201113_105235.jpg

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again Tony, buck of a lifetime!

3. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stayed a friend's place. I met him through the Bowhunting League. I intended on hitting public too, but I killed on the 2nd day Hunting one of his small pieces.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Westfinger and overactor like this.
  4. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I immediately went to Ohio and struck out there during lock down. Then I have been in in Indiana hunting since Sunday.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Westfinger likes this.
  5. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just got home from my Kentucky trip, short story is I struck out. Long story, I was holding out for a buck and just couldn't get a shot on any as they were coming through chasing does at a 100mph! Last couple of days comes around and I decided to take a doe and take a 20yrd shot in what I thought was right in the vitals behind the shoulder, watched her run off with the arrow sticking out of her and the lighted knock with her until she ran out of sight. Got down and looked for blood with everyone that night for two hours and couldn't even find a spec of blood anywhere, decided to head back to camp for the night and look in the morning. The next morning looked for blood and grid searched for another two hours with no luck.

Now thinking I must have hit the front shoulder but I could have sworn I made a good shot, so no points over here. Regardless, had a great time in the woods, and looking at a early January trip back up so we will see!

7. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a monster of a buck wow! Jim was down over the weekend and he said it finally looks like things might get rutty. The bucks are still hitting feeders and scrapes around the feeders. A nice 8 point hit a scrape on the apple tree saturday evening around 4:30. Its been really weird. looked like it was about break open then that heat shut them down. Even at my house 9-10 doe outback not a single buck to be seen chasing. Wife surprised me with friday saturday and sunday off. Which is great because in the last several months shes only been off mondays. And because we are going to the cabin lol. Hopefully to see something moving!

8. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Between on call weekends, holiday flexing and Rona coverage, I might be on dad duty every weekend until the new year. I have a telework day on the 2nd that might need to take place in a blind...

overactor likes this.
  9. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    I just got these from the millionaire property owner. 2021 is looking promising!
    20201121_164155.jpg 20201121_164209.jpg

10. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    Staying out of my main hunting property all year has done wonders for buck activity. I haven't seen this many decent bucks out there for 3 or 4 years. I'll have to remember that and stay out until late October next season.
    FB_IMG_1606505587280.jpg FB_IMG_1606505591068.jpg FB_IMG_1606505594332.jpg FB_IMG_1606505596950.jpg FB_IMG_1606505600072.jpg

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    KDORSETT12 and airenlow like this.
  12. overactor

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. As the forum has been down all weekend I had a pretty lengthy story typed out ill see if I saved it. But I should a pretty nice doe Friday night. And have her entered.

13. overactor

Dislikes Received:
    I need to give a big shout out to Shelby Coral. A few weeks back she made a post on the Ohio Whitetail FB group and offered to bring her pups out to track for gas money and a bit of meat for the pup.

Last night I put what I felt was a great shot on a nice doe. Gave her a little over an hour and took up the trail with my 3 year old son on point and loving every second of him pointing out the red drops. About 60 yards up the steep holler behind my house we tracked good blood and found where she bedded down and looked to be jumped. We were about 20 yards from my neighbors house and horse pasture so we pushed up the hill to see if I could see her in the pasture and we didn't I found a small spot and marked it on my On-X and thinking I liver shot her and caught the far side lung we went home to eat. About 2 hours after the shot. A quick run out last night didnt turn anything up. I had to work a few hours this morning and on my way home from Columbus doubting my shot, and why this doe hadn't been found I remembered I took a screen shot of her post if the need were to arrive. She told me she could be there in 30 minutes!

I took her up to last blood. We went into the woods about 20 yards where the last of the really heavy bleeding was and she put her Dachshund to work. She tracked up to the last spot I marked, there was another drop about 10 yards from that which I found last night and when she hit that then found another spot 5 or 6 yards away that I didn't find the night before we knew she was on the right track. And where I though the doe went through the pasture the pup veered right, went across the road right my friend Jims property. She marked another spot of blood and another bed about 100 yards from last blood, and kept going. Down the steep ravine onto my other neighbors property. I called them to let them know I was tracking a doe and they told me they found her a little while before we called and told me where she was... from where we were standing the doe was maybe another 50 yards and the pup was tracking right to her. She veered off track to the down hill side of the doe, which by then we could see. Thinking she lost the blood scent she circled down wind and came up the trail right to the doe. Success! Without blood I would have never went in that direction. And not that far maybe 250 yards total. My friend Jim and Neighbors came on utvs to help with recovery and after field dressing her we found a gnarly liver dissection and a far side lung hit. NAP Double Cross broadhead.

Heart and liver to the pup for a job well done and many thanks to Shelby dropping everything to come help put meat in the freezer.

If anyone in the Licking, Perry or Muskingum County areas need a deer tracked I highly recommend Shelby and her pups. 20201128_160721.jpg 20201128_160524.jpg

Attached Files:

14. overactor

Dislikes Received:
    P.s was aiming for a heart shot at 45 yards to be safe incase she ducked the string... she didn't move at all. Arorrow passed just behind the heart

Westfinger and KDORSETT12 like this.
  15. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Robbie!

overactor likes this.
  16. overactor

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Its tough hunting when you pass all of the doe hoping a nice buck comes in. Hope to get down next weekend to the cabin and try to get in on buck. They are all over the property hitting food and not really chasing. Ill be bowhunting in orange

Westfinger likes this.
  17. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
  18. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Robbie!

Been out with the wife a few times. She had some luck on her first solo sit. We had this buck patterned pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to the wife Dan! Sweet looking buck!

Westfinger and overactor like this.
  20. overactor

Dislikes Received:
    Wows nice buck! I havent had anything in daylight run through my property. Other than a few doe fawn. I keep an eye on them when i see them so see if anyone is lurking behind them. The cell cam behind Jims house has a lot of mature doe. I think the feeder down here has dead batteries and they have been destroying my food plot. Cabin next weekend

Westfinger likes this.