Team #11 The Booner Brigade

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cantexian, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Bullridnfool

Bullridnfool Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i seen his post.

2. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys i doubled up tonight and am bow tagged out for 2020. I could go again but think ill run shotgun season and just spend time with my girls. If you haven't seen it i wrote the story up in lfts thread. Ill still be here just not hunting. Lets pound these guys down.
    20201109_221017.jpg 20201109_221014.jpg 20201109_221011.jpg 20201109_192411.jpg
    By far my best season of my life. Message yesterday said i killed my buck last year. Only deer i harvested. I hunted every chance i could and some i wasnt suposed to

3. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's amazing!! You're slaying them

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Bullridnfool and INbowhunter like this.
  4. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Although i could get more doe tags now and a buck for muzzleloader season in dec. Im done. Prolly get a tag or two for shotgun season and call it. My best season yet and a trophy buck. Cant beat it and glad yall got to enjoy it with me.

5. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Team 12 is knocking on the door again. Come on guys. Kill kill kill. Fyi today is 32 with light breeze in am and high of 45 n sunny. And im processing deer. Owell time with family once this is done.

buckeyehntr5 likes this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys, quick update from Missouri. My cell service here sucks so I haven’t been on the forum much. I got here Monday night, saw one unknown Monday evening. Tuesday morning I passed on a spike at 16 yards. It was too big for an antlerless tag. Tuesday evening I had a button buck or small doe at 40 yards right at last light. Ran out of light before it came close enough. Sat all day today, had a small doe come in and at 50 yards for 30 minutes. It ended up bedding at 60 and staying there for almost four hours. It left around noon without closing the distance. Nothing today after that. Lots of deer around here but nothing in range yet besides the spike. I will be here until some point on Friday.

7. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man hope you get a couple shots. Also honestly it makes the best hunts with no service. You actually enjoy your sit and natures beauty.

cantexian likes this.
  8. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mowed a portion of corn today at our small farm. Brushed in a ground blind for the weekend. Should be a good setup for my son.

[​IMG]

Seen 3 bucks while out checking cams and all three were bedded with a doe locked down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. buckeyehntr5

Dislikes Received:
    Had a newbie show up on one of the cams

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
  11. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
  12. Bullridnfool

Dislikes Received:
    He better have another year. Bahaha
    He is a dandy.

13. bloodrunner13

bloodrunner13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i’m in ohio. tomorrow is my last day of the trip. not looking to good out here.. 1 buck so far between 6 guys.

Bullridnfool likes this.
  14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I got back home from Missouri last night. Thursday morning I almost got it done on what was at least a 120" 8 point. I set up in the top of a draw that dropped off into a steep valley. He came by at 7:45 am. I saw him coming from about 200 yards away near a pond. He ended walking by me a 50 yards. When he got to the edge of the cover dropping off into the valley, I threw a couple of grunts and doe bleats at him. He whipped his head around and started working back towards me in the cover. He closed the distance to about 35 yards but stayed in the cover. He stood there looking for the source of the sounds for about 10 minutes but would never step out. I gave him a couple of more grunts to try and pull him out of the cover, but he wouldn't do it. That was the only deer I saw Thursday morning. I hunted until noon and then got down for lunch.

Thursday afternoon @Ridgerunner3 and I dropped into the valley where @LittleChief and his SIL both killed bucks on back-to-back nights last week. They killed from the same tree. I climbed up the same tree that they killed from. Unfortunately, nothing came by in the evening. @LittleChief Jr. killed a doe Thursday evening, that was the only deer killed in camp during the week. @Ridgerunner3 passed a last light shot on a deer because he wasn't sure if it was antlerless or a small spike.

Friday morning I went back to the same spot where I saw the big 8 on Thursday morning. I moved to a different tree that would have given me a 25 yards or less shot if he came through and used the same trail as Thursday morning. Friday morning was really windy until 10 am and the big 8 never came through. I hunted until noon. The winds died around 10 am. About 10:30 am I had a 90" 5 point cruise through. He looked liked he was on a path that was going to give me a 30 yard shot. He was behind some small trees 10 yards from the shooting lane when he whipped his head around looked away from me. I thought another deer was coming in. I had thrown out a few doe bleats around 10:15. The five point walked about 15 yards away from me started sniffing the ground. I think he winded the trail of a hot doe because he took off heading away from me. I gave him a few doe bleats and grunts to see if that would bring him back. He looked my way but got back on the doe's trail and left. I got down and noon and headed home.

I thought about hunting Friday afternoon but decided against it. My wife has plans today that needed to home for to watch the kids since I was gone all week. I didn't want to be the position of making a bad shot and having to wait until this morning to recover. In addition, today is the start of the gun season in MO. I didn't want to be wandering through the woods looking for a deer while the orange army blasted away.

LC puts on a great deer camp and the trip was a great time despite not getting anything. My MO tags are good until the January, but, with the holidays coming up I doubt I will get back up there again. Who knows, maybe my wife will surprise me and I can get back up there for a three day weekend. I am not going to hunt this weekend since I was gone all week. I will spend the time with my family and maybe get back to it next weekend.

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well. We are sitting solidly in second place and one doe out from taking back first place.

We are in a great position still because @grommel can stil contribute a buck while @JasonOhio2018, @INbowhunter, @IH122, and myself can still make full contributions with a buck and doe.

I have to say I am surprised with myself having not put down a doe at least. With 8 days of hunting this season, I have seen 18 deer and had 8 of them in bow range with four more almost in range and I have not had a shot yet. Very surprising for me, my theme this year is starting to feel like “close but not close enough.” Normally, if I did not have at least a doe down by now, it would be because I have not seen anything. I have only seen three does this year, only one in range and that was before shooting light.

Keep at it guys!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  16. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either way, I think that this year has been an amazing season for most of us and I know that I'm looking forward to hunting in 2021.

cantexian likes this.
  17. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let’s keep after it boys sweet November is still amongst us, let’s get hot again. We are in our Rifle Season right now at home, through thanksgiving, so I won’t be with the bow much through then. At the conclusion of that season I’ll be back out for my last 50pts. Good luck!

18. buckeyehntr5

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to all who have tags left! Definitely a lot of pts left out there that I'm sure you guys will fill! Either way its been a heck of a season so far.

Youth gun season for my son this weekend. He loves his CVA hunter 44mag and is a dead eye with it. Hoping one of the target bucks or a newbie shows up. He's pretty pumped to be sitting in a treestand for the first time. Since he was 5 yrs old all we've hunted together were ground blinds and elevated blinds. I have 3 double stand setups for us that are in great spots, some of my favorites.

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
  20. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Done.

cantexian likes this.