Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Is he broke off or just grew funny?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That I am not sure of, has one of them acorn knobs which you usually see in the middle portion of the tine not a blunt end like that.

Didn't look freshly broken to me or I would have searched a bit for it. Mentioned in the LFTS thread that his left split brow, where the points and beam intersect has a weird hollow or pitted look to it. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow when I score it, if the feature will take to photo well :lol:

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still kicking myself in a sense. Not because of the buck, I've shot smaller and was just as elated, but on what I thought I saw or how I seen it that way.

When he crossed that first trail, I knew he was big. He got behind the trees/shrubs and I stood up knowing where he was going to come out. Even when he first stepped out again, he looked big, then I Meh'ed him and he froze looking back at me. Even in that moment, while not looking at him directly, I could still see him fully while focused on my pin.

I'm not a big buck hunter, have admitted it for years, I am blessed that my late uncle has some great land he made into a deer hunting mecca. I can show patience for the rut and knowing that I get at least one chance on a good buck, after that I can go into brown and it's down mode. Fills my freezer just the same and the bigger bucks just get another year bigger.

Something on this deer fooled me and it is bugging me to no end what it was. From Facebook, to texting the other hunter to the LFTS post I thought I had a top 5, for me, buck down. I've never been that awed walking up on a buck in such a negative way.

Maybe I am spoiled and can't really judge bucks and have gotten lucky in years past with it, I don't know. It's bugging me for some reason with this one. I almost called the taxidermist to see if he would be home to cape him out, luckily crappy signal helped rule that out before I recovered him.

I just keep replaying the entire thing over and still see the same thing, yet I seen it totally wrong.

It's a weird feeling I have never had before today.

Not even sure if I make sense :lol:

Holt and MUDSHARK like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It make sense. I've done it. For me it happens when I have a long season of only seeing small deer and finally one with a decent rack steps out and it. He make all the bucks you seen before look small. Then you play it up in your mind. Another thing that has got me is a decent rack, then extremely small body. It makes the rack look bigger then it is.

Maybe you were so focused on what you want and what you wanted to see. Last weekend I was so focused on seeing deer twice I swear I saw deer. Could clearly see a grayish blob and moving. To bring up binos and absolutely nothing there. My mind just want to see a deer so bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rjhart12pt likes this.
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it was more how he came in, he wasn't nose down, had his head up high and fast paced walking. Think with his somewhat tall rack compared to overall size of the rack he just looled bigger to me.

No worries, picked up another buck tag today. Going out tomorrow and couldn't imagine not having a tag if one were to come by.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He's yours now. And good luck tomorrow, I will hopefully be out also. Good call on buying the extra tag. It never fails, you will see one if you don't have a tag. Happen to me once.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So got a update on my hunting. When I shot that buck on the 30th, I made a few calls. Well got something in the work right now as I speak. It's strange I was think about that buck again last night and was try to convince my self that I shot him over the spine. Then this morning I get a call that someone may have found my buck dead. This is through a chain of 4 different people and going to be a miracle if it works. By the description on the buck it sounds like the one I shot. Right now waiting to hear back from the landowner that the deer is on and see if they will let me recover it. Obviously nothing is salvageable but the rack, but at least I can get some closure on him. So waiting game. Worst part is that I was told he is around 90 yards from road and they back tracked the blood trail when they found it, it led right to the public land.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Screenshot_20201112-124053_ScoreMyRack.jpg

Holt likes this.
  10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He scored a little higher then I was thinking just off the pics. Is that what you were thinking he would score? Or did he surprise you one way or another?

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    His right beam was longer than I thought it would be, I really didn't have any expectations other than when I seen him on the hoof. Definitely wasn't that :lol:

I use the same method as buckeye's write up in the whitetail section.

Couldn't find my masking tape, I know I have some. I'll find it and double check, but I'm confident I won't be much different. There were a couple that were on the 1/16 mark and I have always read you round up in them instances

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have a friend that is a B&C scorer and he always said to give the extra to the buck. Every thing looked good to me! In my mind just off pics, I was thinking 115" range. Always love when there bigger!

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He had a good g1 and sticker on his left side, which rem8nds me, what I thought was a hole or something down in that area was not. Looks like he had another sticker at one point thta broke off and it was the wrinkle in antler leading to it.

Wish I had a certified scorer friend :lol:, all the ones here want $25+ to score and it's just not worth it to me.

They used to hold the annual Deer Expo here and I was going to take them all there for display because you get a certified score free for entering them. They movee it an hour north and be hard now to take 5 mounts that far :lol:

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He has showed me alot of methods and it's not too hard. I like to test him by scoring the deer I have and sending him pics. He pretty good just at looking at them and gets pretty close. He officially scored my big buck and I was only off by 1" or so from his score. So I feel pretty confident when I do my scores now. He scores for free, but cost money if you want to enter them into the books.

15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not big into the books, I've never really understood it. With all the QDMA anymore P&Y isn't really hard to achieve in most areas, B&C is a little tougher I've just never gotten the concept of adding your name to a list. Nothing wrong with it, was never my cup of tea.

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yup I'm the same, but never know my mind might change. None of mine are in the books. I did enter my big one in my state record book, just because he made top 10.

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I could definitely see that, and believe me, if I was to have the incredible luck to take a buck that might go in a record book, the DNR would be my first call. I would want them to validate every aspect of it before I even think of moving it.

18. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have all day to hunt tomorrow. Supposed to be 24° at sunrise. 47° is the high around 3 oclock. Doubt i stay in stand all day. Try to sit as long as I can in the morning and go back in around 3:30 or 4 for evening sit. Going to pull cards after work to see what stand is getting action.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Holt likes this.
  19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So got some updates.

1st is on the dead buck that was found. Guy went in today and cut the rack off. It wasn't my buck. It was slot smaller and had a broken brow time, which mine didn't. So still hopeful that he's still alive.

2nd is I a encounter with 2nd mature buck this morning. About 30 minutes after first light I talked myself into moving 30 yards to a better funnel. I get one step down and a beast of a buck walks up to me. I tried to get tied back to the tree o I can pull up the bow, but he was just 20 yards and keep looking in my direction. After 2 - 3 minutes he turned and walked straight away. I should have just stayed in that tree and he would have been a dead buck.