Big man draw length options

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bigticket, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Bigticket

Bigticket Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I have a question I’m an elk hunter I usually hunt rifle season. My hunting party wants to try archery next year so I’m looking for a compound bow. I went to local archery shop and was measured n told I have a 33 inch draw length. I’m a big guy 6’6 270. The only bow I found that had that draw length is Hoyt double xl. Since there are so few options for such a long draw length, Would it be a big mistake to use a bow with a slightly shorter draw length? If any other big guys have recommendations I’m all ears! Thanks!

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I'm not a big guy I can tell you that proper draw length is very important in the mechanics of shooting a compound bow. If your draw length is too long or too short then you'll find that your sight pin ("float") is very shaky. With a long draw length it's also going to be important to make sure a shop that knows what they're doing helps you pick out arrows with a proper spine, you're going to need a stiffer spine than what is common due to the length of the arrow you'll need.
    Measuring for draw length gets you close, but it isn't super precise. Don't be surprised if anywhere between 32" and 34" doesn't feel better than exactly 33". Most shops do the measure your wing span and then divide by 2.5 method, like I said it isn't a set in stone precise measurement.
    99% of archery shops, or even the archery sections at places like Sportsman's Warehouse or North40, will be happy to set a bow up for you to try out before you buy. Try several. Make sure to have proper form and anchor points, at least close enough to get a good idea what draw length is best for you. Watch some youtube videos on proper form, and any decent archery shop Pro should also be a big help when trying determining best fit.

Length of d-loop and length of wrist release can be used to tweak draw lengths a bit too. What I mean by this is if you found a bow with a 32" draw length that you really liked but it felt just a bit short to you, a longer d-loop combined with a longer wrist release can help to make it feel proper to you.

You'll be more accurate with a proper draw length, hands down.

dnoodles and early in like this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mod-'s not wrong but it is pretty common for people with a long measured DL to shoot a slightly shorter hunting bow DL.

I naturally have a 31" DL but shoot a bow with a 29" DL so I bend my grip elbow a bit so the string doesn't catch on my heavy hunting clothes in cold weather.

Shoot a few and see what's comfortable and accurate. I would not be surprised it you are fine at 31 or even 30 DL.

4. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 6’8” my draw length was measured around 32” and my options for a reasonably priced bow were slim.
    I picked up a Matthew’s Switchback XD off eBay. Installed new strings and one cam. I could only shoot it with my elbow slightly bent to keep from hitting clothing. My final draw length is 31”.
    Maybe not perfect but I altered my arm and holding point to fit my bow. Just shoot it to get the muscle memory.
    I know a few big guys that shoot smaller bows so the axle to axle length is shorter as well.
    good luck.

5. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the new Mathews Atlas...

6. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m 6’5 with almost a 32” draw and I’m maxed out on my bowtech boss at 31.5 and shoot just fine. Now, a few years ago PSE made the ‘freak’ which went to 33” draw. May want to look into those as well. PSE may have something different now.

You can also add a d-loop to give ya another half inch as well.

Tags: