The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here I’m very glad she is safe

LittleChief likes this.
  2. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Johnny!! Nice buck! Looks like you have a great camp there.

Sorry about your wife and car, happens a lot this time of year.

LittleChief likes this.
  3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great place to camp and hunt. It's only 30 minutes from where I live, which is nice but also sometimes unfortunate.

Yesterday, for instance, I had to go home to feed the dogs because my wife was out on an overnight trip volunteering as an aid on a 100 mile cross country run they have every year in this area. She had taken my truck so the car was there. The damage wasn't nearly as bad as she let on. The only damage other than the broken plastic grill was a slight curve on the lip of the hood.

4. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I only have a couple days left to shoot a doe. I blew it yesterday.

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    What happened?

6. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I was in a ground blind half asleep. The wind was blowing so I did not hear a doe walking thru on a trail we have the blind set up on. She was 14 yards away an easy chip shot. I grabbed my crossbow and in my hast hit One of the polls on the blind. When I say hit I think the blind moved 6 inches. Needless to say she ran off and left me sitting there with a stupid look on my face.

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey @ash d you ever get your buck posted then in scorecard?

Congrats @LittleChief

Friday night sit at a place we hadn't been all year yielded zero sightings.

Saturday I was covered in deer all night, great footage of a 9 pointer I passed numerous times shared on Small Acre Hunting Facebook page or mine if friends with me there.

Today, morning had chasing but just other side of thicket never saw what...this evening 3 does and two spikes is all...

I'll be back out tomorrow afternoon/evening hopefully

LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Disregard that @ash d clearly in scorecard LOL

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Ty. I’m pretty bummed that I didn’t see that his left side was broken off, but it was still a great experience.

Oldcarp likes this.
  10. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weekend Update: Had some action in Illinois, but nothing I was going to drag a half mile out of the woods. If I was resident of Illinois and hunted this spot regularly, I would have shot three of the bucks I saw. Plan is to head up Wednesday afternoon and hunt he coldest day of the week Thursday. My wife is going to visit a friend in Ohio and taking my son, I may either head back to Illinois or just hunt at home; I'm leaning towards the home part. The weather is going to be stupid this weekend anyway. The wind may allow me to get in on that pond/thicket, and I plan on sitting my buns in the stand all weekend, might even take my climber out over my saddle...don;t tell the saddle bros.
    Congrats Chief, and any one I may have missed, still a lot of season left here, but it seems like it's moving quick!

tynimiller and ash d like this.
  11. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those crossbows are not easy to maneuver around. I have one also. I’ve only had it 2 years. I’ve never gotten anything with it but I do take it out. I’m always banging mine around when I’m walking in or out. Tying to fill my doe tag with it this year.

tynimiller and Oldcarp like this.
  12. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did come across this rub last night while I was out. Sorry the pic is not the best. I’ve never seen a tree this size in NY with a rub on it. Probably made at night since on a field edge but I was still surprised. The tree is almost as round as a coffee can. image.jpg

tynimiller likes this.
  13. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrates to you!
    Going out tomorrow as a snow storm is predicted but before the city council meeting at 1900 hours.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am at work today for the first time in 15 or 16 days. It is the first step to getting back out in the woods. I hope to make that happen by the end of the week. With a cold front hitting tomorrow, I think it should be good for a while now.

Oldcarp likes this.
  15. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to wish those who are veterans on our team a happy Veterans Day. I am off to a little Veterans day parade that my grandkids talked me into. Then I will have lunch with a good friend of mine Who I served with. I did score my buck and I will get it posted up this afternoon.

Again I want to say thanks to all those who served

tynimiller, farmer rick and ash d like this.
  16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well been hitting the stand a decent amount....I think I already shared the hunt I passed the 115 ish or so 9 (excerpt of video https://fb.watch/1HQzhth9kc/ )

Actually be easier to work backwards:

This morning- took the LONG entry to the hot stand along the ditch where I passed the 9...even crawled through ditch to avoid walking field edge if deer in it (23 the night prior). Made it in and all I saw today was two yearling 8s, the kind that will be studs if given chance to live and altogether I think 7 does.

I nearly shot a mature doe as she stood at 14, but it is buck time right now and didn't wanna deal with her running into swamp bedding.

Last Night (Tue) - 23 deer total came out into the field, could have shot only 6 or so of them, but of the two bucks the biggest (2.5 yo eight pointer) came to 20 yards and got some solid video of him.

Tues Morning - hunted a low impact stand, saw zilch.

Believe that catches it up for me.

Sadly tonight I cannot hunt, gotta watch little man...however if the winds stay as predicted I may try to sit all day tomorrow back at my property and see if any of the big boys cruise that corner.

Oldcarp likes this.
  17. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I posted my two pictures and the score on the score board.

tynimiller and fletch920 like this.
  18. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning gentleman! Hope all is going well for everyone, Chief congrats on the buck bud.

I’ve been a little bit of a ghost lately and I apologize. I build specialty automation machines and am currently on the road installing a machine that I built. As of yesterday at 7:30 I’ve worked 44 hours this week already so there’s Barry enough time to shower eat and sleep between clocking out and clocking back in.

I hope that everyone is getting out in the woods and enjoying your time. Things should dwindle down by Saturday hopefully so I’ll make sure I check back in with you guys.

Oldcarp thanks for getting your buck in.

Good luck guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Oldcarp and ash d like this.
  19. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well got done with a roller coaster week in Iowa. Seen quite a few bucks, and on Monday night I ended up hitting a high 140s to 150s buck. As I started tracking it downpoured and was the blood away. After calling it on that track job I got back in the stand yesterday morning. Had multiple good bucks come through with one being a stud eight point but he broke half his rack. A little later in the morning I had a doe come through with mouth wide open . Seconds later I seen this guy emerge and had a split second decision. Seeing that he was a mature deer I decided to take him. Stopped him at 35 yards and drilled him in the heart. I’ll get a score on him when I get back to Wisconsin, but definitely happy to put my tag on this buck. IMG_3506.JPG IMG_3508.JPG IMG_3507.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck. Congrats

Team Haastyle likes this.