Team 2-These Unprecedented Tines

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by wl704, Aug 31, 2020.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man what a season!!! Good luck in WI and congrats!!!

dustywilmuth likes this.
  2. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn you on fire !!!! Congrats on a great season :clap::bhod:

3. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Im gonna bow hunt the public land this morning, its warm and not alot of movement going on from what Ive seen, all the bucks have been to small and a few big ones but to far away. I did film a buck at the river pushing a lone doe the other evening that was fun to watch how she used the steep river bank and rivers edge to hide from the buck and lose him, he just stood there looking west like where the hell did she go, meanwhile she snuck off to the east. :lol:

The public land has been turning into a real **** show this year, alot of hunters, slob hunters, litterbugs, leaving stands overnight in the woods ( its not allowed on this public land ) guys walking around in the woods at 930am and walking thru bedding areas ( so just gotta make the best of that sorry situation and hope they push deer to me ... one guy did push 5 does and fawns to me the other morning when he was walking out from his hunt ), heavy hunter sign everywhere, lots of trail cams, scent wicks on branches every where, cigarette butts all over, I found 2 hunters arrows and crossbow bolts in the woods just alot of hunting pressure. I also have some trail cams out there and Im getting alot of pics of hunters. This used to be one of my favorite places because it didnt get alot of hunting pressure ... and u had to kill a doe before u were aloud to kill a buck .. so I think that helped to keep down the hunting pressure somewhat. But since they did away with the doe requirement last year I saw a increase in hunting pressure out there last year .... but this year the hunting pressure out there has exploded this year 10 fold. Such a shame but I know they will eventually burn the area out and abbandon it , that might take a few years to happen but then maybe then it will return to its former glory.

I actually found the wheel to someones deer cart laying in the woods a few days ago and there is nothing wrong with the wheel... but I mean how do u loose your wheel ???:lmao2: I bet that drag out on the 1 wheel deer cart sucked for that guy :sad::confused:
    But in the mean time Im just gonna grind it out cause I just love this area.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, have been able to make a couple sits here in the last week. Little to no action. 0 shooter bucks on camera this year as well and usually have at least 3 or 4. One thing I know is I have some work to do on coyotes this winter.

Our gun season opens tomorrow and I am the only one with a doe tag for our group. Unfortunately in my part of MN, I can only shoot 1 deer a year regardless of weapon so we'll see how gun season goes here.

5. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going to be sitting all day Saturday and Sunday in MD, have been getting some nice bucks on camera, a couple in daylight but still mostly at night, sat down there Tuesday and Wednesday and saw 30 does, it’s gotta bust loose there soon, had a spike chasing a group of two does and two buttons. I’m guessing with the button hanging around mom it hasn’t started there yet

6. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    My cameras are showing the big bucks only in the dark, all the daylight pics are of smaller bucks. Im on the does but the big boys arnt showing up. I made it out yesterday morning and had one hunter walk in to my west in the dark but they were far away from me so they didnt affect my hunt, I could hear when they walked out cause deer started to blow at them. Seen a chase but far away and had the does and fawns at my spot but no big buck showed up. Had a coyote at 20 yards but they arnt on the list of critters that can be taken off this public land spot :confused: Had a nice visit at the parking lot with the sheriff, Ive known him from back when I used to manage the archery pro shop in the town and hadnt seen him in years so it was nice to chat with him and catch up.
    It was funny he told me all the guys were talking about me, he said they were seeing my suv parked at the public land spot and were saying I must be after a big one. I told him men hunters are worse than women with their gossip:lmao2:

alenhard15 likes this.
  7. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry I have been absent this year.. Changed jobs and have been super super busy. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do!

I do have some points to add to the team score though!! I shot a nice buck this morning on our annual trip out here in Illinois! I’ll get it posted up ASAP, I’ve got until Sunday out here, so hoping to add another 50 points with a doe.

Attached Files:

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man thats a dandy! Way to get it done!

HuntMaine likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's getting closer to time for me. Usually 15th through eom is the window. Busted 3 on the way out on Saturday, so I'll be sitting in a new spot this weekend...

Okiebob and alenhard15 like this.
  10. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats that’s a heck of a buck!!

HuntMaine likes this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, I have only seen smaller bucks acting all rutty. I am convinced the rut has more to do with light cycle than anything. It doesn't happen here in Oklahoma until the latter half of the month with it peaking the week of Thanksgiving, which is also gun season. I normally see a nice buck or two around Halloween but no such luck this year. Maybe if these temps dip next week the action will heat up.

dustywilmuth and alenhard15 like this.
  12. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are chasing here in Southern Illinois that’s for sure. Wouldn’t you know it, I shoot that buck yesterday and this morning I have an absolute stud come by me at 25 yards out cruising for a doe. If he wasn’t 150” I would be shocked!

alenhard15, dustywilmuth and Okiebob like this.
  13. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice man congrats thats a studd!!!

HuntMaine likes this.
  14. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Coming to rifle hunt oklahoma this year in antlers OK. Hoping to drop a big one. Hows the deer movement at the end of novemeber?

15. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Thought he was bigger than he was but ill take him on the wisconsin public land. Had 3 does come in, shot the first doe, had a stud of an 11 point behind them.. go figure. 20 minutes later a hot doe came through and i grunted this guy to 10 yards. While he was at 10 yards a stud stumbled under my tree but no way i coulda pulled it off so shot the deer at 10 yards. Shot him 3 times. Yes 3 i will post video. First shot quartering 2 was a heart shot. He didnt care. 2nd shot looked like a gut shot but actual was right behind the sholder through the lungs. He jumped the creek and i took another shot an barley missed him at 45. He went 10 yards stood there for about 20 minutes then just fell over dead. It was wild hunt for sure. Also my taxidermist gets back tommarow so should have a score for the droptine finally sorry for the late score team!

Attached Files:

HuntMaine and Okiebob like this.
  16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's when it is the best! They tend to get tied up with does the week of Thanksgiving and get back to roaming the following week. I'm looking forward to it.

dustywilmuth likes this.
  17. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Same here man ive never rifle hunted or hunted in OK so im pretty pumped!

18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to hunt out by Atoka, close to Antlers, that is some deer country. Guaranteed to see some action.

dustywilmuth likes this.
  19. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Sweeettt cant wait, never hunted where theres snakes and other things that can get ya so thatl be kind of diffrent than hunting northern illinois

20. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Damn man you are having a hell of a season