Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on if they are there or not lol, they hunt weird schedules. Can't sit all day even during the rut, usually gone by 9:30.

As far as Covid, not so worried about myself, I just don't want to be giving it to others unintentionally, especially my aunt who lives where I hunt. I'll know in the next couple days, seems like it has been taking 4 days or so for those who have been in contact with another to start feeling symptoms, as long as I can taste the toothpaste each morning I'm good, my work has a temp check with a smell test and questions each morning, none of which have proven to be very reliable.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, smell test? As long as your boss doesn't walk by ask you to smell his fingers! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cls74 likes this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, owners are super concerned about liability issues.

Each morning we are given a smell strip that they change scents daily, they've sent one person home that couldn't smell it. Never did hear anything back on his test result or symptoms, hasn't been back to work though.

4. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holt, sorry to hear about the buck, it's part of the game. You'll get another chance! So who's killed bucks in 70 degrees in November? The Weather looks crazy this year for my trip. Might be some heavy rain for a day or two as well.

Attached Files:

5. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be screwed. I can't smell very good on a normal day.

Where is the rest of our team? Seems only a handful of use are here.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope they are out hunting and too busy to post! Lol

7. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out hunting since October 26. The vice president of our local NWTF passed away at the age of 86 on the 26th and his funeral was on the 31st. A friend/former brother-in-law/former employee passed away from a freak work accident on 10/29 at the age of 58. His services are tomorrow and Thursday. I am leaving Thursday night to go back to our farms in Ohio. I plan on being on Stand Friday morning thru Monday evening. I don't like the temperatures that they are forecasting but it's the magical time so hopefully something happens this weekend. Good Luck Guys! It's time to put the smack down on some Big Bucks.

Holt likes this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your losses, never an easy time.

Hopefully a little tree therapy will give you some time to reflect and heal at the same time.

Good luck when you get back out there

dmax4me likes this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about the losses dmax, never easy. You should be hit the timing perfect this weekend in Ohio, good luck!

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got everything packed up but my bow, toss it in on the way out the door tomorrow.

Still facing some uncertainties on how I'm going to hold up physically, first test is going to be climbing up and then finding out whether sitting for stretches will be cumbersome or not. I'm not too pleased with the surgeon right now, going to have to look into what my options are as far as that goes.

Anyhow, good luck everyone, going to be 12 months before we get to do it again so make the most of it.

Holt likes this.
  11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! I hope once you get in that stand you will see what you been missing and all pain will melt away. Keeps us posted and kill a big one!

cls74 likes this.
  12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys. Before I make some breaking news going to need you to grab a beer if you drink, and if not just brace yourself for an announcement........

Alright.

I actually went hunting this morning, election night kinda hindered the original plans but I had my ass up a tree with bow in hand at legal shooting light :lol:

Wasn't too bad for a first sit of the season, seen 4 and 3 were 2 1/2 8 points, pretty much add a few inches for each one to the first one I'll post below, on the computer and pic is on my phone.

Seen one antlerless between 8:30 and 9, 80 yds away, and then couldn't keep myself awake after only getting 2 1/2 hours of sleep.

I'm happy with it, Saturday is the day I am most looking forward to and those beyond. May take a doe tomorrow or Friday if one chooses to offer up a shot. Starting Saturday I am buck only and will be picky up until about Thursday/Friday of next week. after that I may get an itchy trigger finger and anything goes, just depends what movement is like leading up to it.

I have 11 straight days on land proven time and time again to offer up good bucks, no guarantees, I just need to get luck on choosing the right stand on the right day. That's the toughest part, the rest is easy.

Good luck gentlemen, we've waited 12 months for what will take another 12 months to get back to. Let's make the best of it

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Busted me going for phone to take pics, but was a 14 yard chipshot the whole time. Shot quite a few from this stand, sadly the tree is likely to fall over the next few years. Dead walnut with a ladder stand.

20201104_070211.jpg

20201104_070300.jpg

tc racing, Rjhart12pt and Holt like this.
  14. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting up at 3:30am tomorrow and taking daughter to Nationwide Children's in Columbus for a minor surgery tomorrow. Supposed to be in the 70's until Tuesday. CRAZY! If all goes well I will try and get out on Sunday and i might take a day or 2 off end of next week. Hoping it can get back in the 40's next weekend. Starting to see more activity on cameras early mornings. Got 2 more bucks on camera i haven't seen yet. One I would shoot if given an opportunity. 8pt with right side HUGE fork 2pt, left side 4pt on main beam, tall brows. I am not a morning hunt kinda guy. I prefer evening hunts. Good luck all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Holt likes this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the surgery, hope she has a full and speedy recovery.

Temps will keep me out for certain Monday, have to play Sunday by ear especially if others will be hunting as well. Saturday is a must hunt full day regardless of temps, I left at 10:30 this morning and it was pretty warm, especially by the time I got back to the truck.

Holt likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out tomorrow evening. I got high hopes for a buck tomorrow and will probably shoot a doe also if give a slam dunk shot. The plan is to go to the same spot I shot that buck last week. But things can change depending on if parking lot has cars in it.

cls74 likes this.
  17. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
  18. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    tc racing and Holt like this.
  19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My next outing will be Wed. morning. Everything but the end result points to it being a promising day.

I'll be out Wed-Sat all day, sun up to sun down, only change to that is if I put a buck down. Those 4 days will be my time, if I fail it is on me.

I do not like to fail, just have to pick the right stand on the right day. I'll switch stands frequently throughout the day(s).

Keep chugging along everyone, not sure how many we actually still have on the team but hunt like we are in 2nd place. Don't drop your standards but do not give up either.

We are still in it

Holt likes this.