Ground blind recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wl704, Nov 1, 2020.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about picking up a ground blind for a future western antelope hunt. I've been advised a few things to consider which help set criteria in looking for... Recommendations?

Strong - must be able to withstand some strong winds, not just gusts. So structure needs to be solid and allow for substantive anchoring.

Spacious-able to sit in it all day with cooler and room to stretch or move around a bit... Thinking this will would put me in a '2 man' blind...

Visibility-Would like windows on at least 3 sides, but should needs to allow windows to be secured in a way to avoid back lighting and not flop about in the wind.

So...what should be on my short list?

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My double bull deluxe has made it through the strong winds from the hurricanes coming through. No direct hit but high winds. 5 years old now and the only issue is that I had to replace two plastic hooks. They sent them to me free.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wl704 likes this.
  3. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got an ameristep(bone collector) and a true timber. both work pretty great, easy set up. I would suggest changing the stakes that come with them. Had a few animals decide to be funny and pull the blinds out of there spot when I used them. never got any of the animals on cam. Could have been the neighbors for all I know.

wl704 likes this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought this one in September. Its been set up for the last couple of weeks. It survived the historic icestorm and winds of Oklahoma. Easy setup, roomy and comes with brush ties. 10/10. Screenshot_20201101-084537_Amazon Shopping.jpg

wl704 and dnoodles like this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same one and while I can't attest to its durability because I've only used it a few times I can say it's easy set up and take down and it's roomy with good visability

wl704 and Okiebob like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly expected to find my new $99 ground blind with a bunch of snapped poles but was surprised when I found it just as I had left it. And I second all that you said.

wl704 likes this.
  7. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    wl704 and Okiebob like this.
  8. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had several and like everything else you get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once. I have collected 4or 5 and they each have a purpose. I like the "clam mouth" windows for turkey and some locations for deer. I have a small Ameristep with 3 windows that is great for cutting into cedar trees but not for all day sits and it is really cozy with anyone else. I bought a Xenex last year and that thing is a Cadillac! Nice window system and heavy duty fabric. I have had Barronett Grounder 350 before but the pins seemed to come out of the hubs often, usually into the tall grass. It had the thinnest fabric of all of them that I have had as well.

We left a Primos out for 2 archery seasons on the prairie for antelope. It was pretty much shot but it stayed put. We used heavy duty stakes on all 4 corners and all 4 hubs. We tied the hubs down with ratchet straps as well.

It's hard to beat a hay bale blind if you can get it to where you need it to be. You didn't mention if you were going public or private.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    wl704 likes this.
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Primos Double Bull blind. It is my only store bought one so nothing to compare it to.
    It handles wind a lot better than I expected. I stake all 4 sides but what I think makes the biggest difference is before I walk away I open every single window, the main front opening, and the door you enter through. I roll them up and secure so they won't flap around and get damaged or spook game. This allows the wind to pass through them and works well.

wl704 likes this.
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Since the Barronett was mentioned a couple times, and you mentioned the pins pulled out...is there a possibility of using other stakes (e.g. Like most tent pegs... Like maybe msr groundhog or cyclone

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/tent-accessories/cyclone-tent-stakes/05806.html
    )

Public most likely. One friend also suggested using a structure like a windmill (if available) to help tie off a ground blind in strong winds.

11. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 Barnett Grounder 250 blinds. Plenty of room
    Up & down easy
    Stands up to the wind
    Great cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'll be able to give you a durability review on a Double Bull very soon. Mine has been set up at the property for over a week and it has been putting down quite a bit of snow the last couple of days. I'm a little worried how well it is holding up to the weight.

wl704 likes this.
  13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is be kinda surprised with snow on Sept, hunting antelope, but will be a good measure of durability, as you say. TIA!

Mod-it likes this.