Team 16 - 4 x 4

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by AaronB, Aug 31, 2020.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't flown into it ever so it will all be new to me. Hopefully I can get my truck and be on the road faily shortly

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's definitley the biggest airport on the MO side of the line. St. Louis is a lot bigger and busier but way too far of a drive. I'd imagine Wichita is the biggest in KS. Topeka and Manhattan are pretty small compared to KC and Wichita.

3. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt even think to look for a flight into Manhattan. I really like the area around Manhaatten so much so that I was looking at land and houses there.

foodplot19 likes this.
  4. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Out of all the areas in KS that is probably my favorite area.

trial153 likes this.
  5. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    had a couple little guys show up this morning

Attached Files:

foodplot19 and trial153 like this.
  6. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First day of vacation. Waded to a stand and sitting on an island of dry ground. Surrounded by water but steadily receding. Only needed waders for a 75 yard stretch. Changed back to my knee boots and had a good 4-6” of clearance the rest of the way. :) Not super optimistic, but I can’t shoot a buck from my couch either. It only takes one! Good luck everyone!

NebMo Hunter and foodplot19 like this.
  7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

bowhunter628 and foodplot19 like this.
  8. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
  9. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a small buck and a decent 9 pt at 60 yards so not a bad sit overall. Neighbors food plot had at least 15 deer in it with a couple smaller bucks from what I could see. They have the higher ground so that wasn’t altogether unexpected.

Should only get better as the water recedes more. I’ll have to post a pic of this absolute horse of a deer I got on cam when I get them uploaded. Not sure if I’ve seen a heavier deer.

foodplot19 likes this.
  10. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Half deer, half cow 4A5358D4-F899-40FC-A6B5-E253842CF6D0.png

11. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    They both appear to be big deer!! Good Luck, Aaron!

trial153 likes this.
  12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys!!

Joe Bear and foodplot19 like this.
  13. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope all is well with everyone! I will be heading up to my buddies camp on Thursday night to hunt a couple monsters Friday and Saturday. There is a few solid 8-10 points on camera, but the one my buddy and I are after is a massive freak 8 with a ton of stickers and kickers that has been showing up directly behind the camp within 200 yards. He has been a bit nocturnal but hoping he makes a mistake this weekend.

foodplot19 likes this.
  14. HuntinKB51

HuntinKB51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Not often I French a Venison loin, but when I do I kill it [​IMG]

16. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spoke too soon on this I think, turns out a coworker's (with whom I work very close with) roommate has tested positive for covid this morning. If it were just myself and my buddy going up to his camp, I wouldn't think twice about making the trek since were together quite a bit as it is, but his father is coming up this weekend too. I know that he has some pre-existing conditions so to be more safe than sorry, probably just going to stick around home for the weekend and hunt my usual stand.

foodplot19 likes this.
  17. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in a ground blind that me and our boys put up today. I'll be in the stand several time over the next 5 days.
    Good Luck! Let's put some points on the board! Image%20(7).jpeg 20201029_162021.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

18. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quite a bit of action this morning, but nothing big close. Saw 6 or 7 different bucks and a nice buck trailing a doe. 3 or 4 of them were 3+, but closest they got was 125 yards.

The good news is the water has really receded and we are back to having a fair amount of dry ground and not much standing water. Lots of dry weather in the forecast so should be good. Bad news is after tonight, weather gets windy. Sunday looks down right blustery and then it’s supposed to get warm again.

Hoping something gets closer tonight!

NebMo Hunter, HuntinKB51 and trial153 like this.
  19. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great sit tonight. One of those signature calm cool evenings in October. Got to my stand early without bumping any deer. The wind was almost non existent and swirling which I hate and it probably cost me a chance at one of my top bucks. Shortly after getting settled, a big buck appeared out of nowhere and started rubbing on some trees about 60 yards away. I was looking right into the sun so it was tough to see, but I could tell he had a big frame. Got the binocs on him and struggled to get a good look, but he finally turned to the side and i immediately recognized him as a buck we call Sweeps. He’s a big mainframe 10 with beams that sweep forward, hence the name. After about 10 minutes, the wind swirled and i think he caught me ever so slightly. He didn’t spook or bolt, just got on edge a little bit and walked the opposite direction before disappearing in the cattails.

Felt like I had deer around me and chasing in the neighbors field much of the night. Finally toward close, I had some doe feeding in a nearby food plot at 80 yards or so and the wind was still light, but steady out of the SE. Not my favorite wind for this stand, but I was happy the wind at least had a consistent direction and a lot of the chasing was happening to the SE of me so I figured if they came my way, at least they wouldn’t wind me. With about 15 minutes to go before hours ended, I heard some soggy steps approaching from the East. It sounded like more than one deer, but I couldn’t see for sure, but I got ready thinking maybe a doe was coming by and she had a buck tailing her. Low and behold when the deer stepped into sight and walked into my food plot, it was a nice 8 point. Good height, good mass, good beam length. A deer I normally would’ve shot without a second thought in the past. I’m shaking as he closes the distance and crosses the plot toward me. 30, 25, 20, 17 yards slightly quartering away. Perfect shot opportunity. But I could still hear the other deer coming. Thinking that one was probably bigger, I let the first one go walking right in front of me and toward the other food plot. The footsteps of the other one subsided for a moment. I waited and peaked where I thought he’d be coming from. Nothing came. Finally, the footprints resumed and into the plot stepped another nice 8, but the first one was quite a bit bigger. He followed the same path across the plot. He was an easier pass. No way was I going to shoot him after passing the first one. They walked off calmly and i waited for them to clear before getting down.

You only have so many opportunities at mature bucks and I’m probably going to regret the end result of tonight’s hunt, but I have to live with the decisions I make as I mature as a hunter and have higher expectations for myself. It was still an awesome sit! I regret letting the team down, but hopefully I can still close the deal.

The weather looks crappy for the end of my vacation on Saturday and Sunday and then warm next week. Hopefully, I’ll get another crack at a mature buck, but my hours on stand will be less.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  20. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck everyone. I am sitting at the gate waiting on my flight to KC, weather looks terrible for this weeks hunt but what can you do. Stay safe and have fun guys