Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My rutcation was officially approved today, no turning back now. I'll have this weekend, Fri- Sun off, then work Mon and Tue then 12 straight days off in what I think will be the prime of the rut here. Waning moon headed into the New..... Going to try and convince my brother to buy a chest freezer in the next week or so, may need a place to store some non venison typed meats :lol:

Hoping the weather cooperates.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, now we're talking guys! It's a great time to he in the woods. Bucks are dropping left and right around me. Right now I don't plan any days off, but will continue to hunt 2-3 days a week. I will be out Friday evening, then Saturday morning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

early in, cls74 and SparrowHawk like this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Holt likes this.
  4. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Almost prime time!! I shot another doe the other day so I'm after only antlers now! I went out tonight and it was calm and 40 degrees, seemed like a perfect night but I didn't see one deer. A few bucks have been killed around me as well this past weekend. I've only seen a few small ones chasin so far. I'll try to get out a few more pm sits this week as well at Halloween morning and Sunday. I haven't killed a buck in Michigan in a longggg time, there is not a lot of 3.5+ deer around my neck of the woods and that's what I'm after. You boys would rather have me hold out for a Missouri deer for the scoreboard, trust me lol :biggrin: I'm leaving next Thursday for MO and by the time I get back the Orange Militia will be hitting the woods here in Michigan. Good luck to everyone else, these 3 weeks are truly my favorite time of the year! It's go time, shoot straight. ​

tc racing, early in and Holt like this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You may have mentioned early on, but where in MO will you be? Public or private etc...

Shoot what makes you happy, there is no disappointment in that.

It's a team competition but it will always be an individual choice in my book. If we're down by 70 and you pass a 120 last day because your goal is 140 or better, I'm good with that.

SparrowHawk likes this.
  6. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    NW Missouri, about an hour from Iowa border. 140+ is my goal there, but it would be tough to pass a 130 inch deer. It's been a long 3 years there with no luck and passing 120ish bucks. It's private land all DIY type hunting.
    My cousin lives in Kansas City, moved there from Michigan years ago and I found these guys on Craigslist when they were just starting to be an outfitter. It's funny because they are actually cousins as well, one is a farmer with a lot of property and the other a policy officer who handles the more business side of it. Formed great relationships with these guys over the yearw and it'll already be my 6th consecutive year going back.

I need to move around more this year, I got comfortable hunting one piece I killed back to back years when I first started going. Theres good deer all over in that area, just have to be in the right place at the right time right?lol.... 2 170s killed back to back years on a piece I hunted one sit late in my hunt last year. Guy actually killed one with rifle just days after I left.

cls74 likes this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How long you have there?

Things definitely seem to be picking up, as they always do this time of year, but am unsure of the early rut predictions. Seems there's always local anomalies every year where mature bucks are on their feet cruising, yet 50 miles away ain't seeing chit.

I've always preferred that Nov 5th to 14th here, seems it is a never fail timeframe, just have to be in the right stand at the right time.

SparrowHawk likes this.
  8. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    7days, 6-12th.

cls74 likes this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You're gonna hit it pretty good I think.

Keep us posted, it's about to get real on the forums

10. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Suppose to be like damn near 70 degrees the first few days with some cold air behind it. Hopefully that cold air pushes through sooner.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing lots of deer but not what I'm looking for. I'll be off all of next week so I have a good feeling.

cls74 likes this.
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out tomorrow evening, then again on Saturday morning. I'm checking a camera that I set about a month ago. I put it on a spot that I have 3 years of history being destroyed by a buck. This will be the 4th year if he is still alive. I have never seen this buck ,so have no idea what he is. Just know this sign he leaves every year is the best I have ever seen in my life. I just want to get a pic of him to see what he look like! If he hit it this week, I will be hunting over it tomorrow night.

cls74 likes this.
  13. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cls74 likes this.
  14. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a fork buck come through twice. 2nd times was 5 yards. Then this guy snuck up behind me . 40 yards. 20201030_172014.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

tc racing, Holt and cls74 like this.
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys don't know if your following the Live from the Stand thread, but I shot a nice buck tonight. I punched it thru his upper shoulder and 9" of arrow is still left in him. I ended up jumping him about 100 yards away in a thicket. I'm leaving him over night and hopefully find him in the morning.

tc racing, Rjhart12pt and dmax4me like this.
  16. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should be able to find him in the morning. Good Luck!

Holt likes this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Just the worst feeling leaving a deer over night. I know all of us have been through it. I will keep you guys posted.

tc racing likes this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was following in the LFTS thread a couple hours behind, seen a notification you posted here but was still following along in there. I thought for sure you found him, until I got to the end.

That's tough, hopefully he has 9" of arrow/broadhead still in him but 15 entered his vitals. Not sure on the angle, but even with a single lung, that can do too much damage to overcome.

Did you notice any spray at all on elevated leaves/shrubs?

Good luck in the morning, hopefully you find him toppled over and unscathed from the scavengers.

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The hit was perfect broadside. Right over the scapula about 5" below back. I was 20 feet up and the shot was in the 28 yard range. The arrow very slight downward entrance. He ran about 20 yards and broke the arrow off then. Then just stood there. He would walk 10 yards then stop for a minute. He repeated this process for 5 minutes til I couldn't see him any more. I watched him thru binos and could see the arrow was broke off clean at his hide. I hit the off side shoulder and it didn't come out the other side. The only blood I got was muscle blood. It would take awhile for him to fill up if I hit lungs at all. When I jumped him 2 hours later, he was still standing and never layed down. My guess is he is too hurt to lay. It is strange .

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Something about like this? Just random google fu images I put ojn paint shop

brdsid.png

shtangl.png

Holt likes this.