Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After the shot i took on the doe last week, I noticed the lighted nock was making circles through the air as it went under the doe. I shot some more at targets over the last few days and sometimes they fly true and sometimes they make circles. Noticed a mark on the same side of fletching on every arrow. I think it is hitting my rest somewhere. If I rotate the nock away from where I think it is hitting, will that solve the problem or is it a bigger problem than that? 20201021_152211.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you can turn the nock so it clears. Check your rest and look for rub marks also. What type of rest is it? If a drop away, your timing on the rest could be off also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tie breaker + tied 0, it's biggest buck no bonus points.

We're just about ready to set sail on this merry voyage in route to a Championship.

Stay tuned.....

MUDSHARK likes this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that the same arrow? Do all arrows do that or just the one? If it is just the one I would retire it just because.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your profile shows you have been on multiple times since checking in, can you give us a heads up that all is well?

Opted not to replace you with an alternate not long ago as you had already checked in, but after multiple attempts to reach out and absolutely no communication back starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice there.

Not trying to be harsh, maybe college days have taken over and the passion to hunt no longer takes center stage. Would hate to think that, but would understand none the less.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I deleted my last post, after going through everything I don't feel we could qualify for an alternate.

Checked-in in time, we passed the window of requesting a replacement and just feel it would be too controversial.

We were dealt a hand and we'll play it. Would give us an asterisk when we win it, no need for that.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good call, one person is not going to make or break the team. Never know he may show up during winter break and shoot a couple deer.

cls74 likes this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If he does, we all get a turn at the Festivus pole with him :lol:

9. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    There is a mark right above "blazer" on every arrow. It is a drop away rest. You think there is too much slack in the string for it to get out of the way of the arrow? I have to take my mom to the neurosurgeon who did her back surgery at 12:30. I took a vacation day so I can hunt till 11:30 or so. I might run by the bow shop and have them look at it in the evening.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Asking the wrong person on that one. I'm still elementary on the bow tuning aspect of this stuff :lol:

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was me that suggested the rest might be the problem. Yes if the timing is off the arrow has the potential to hit the rest before it falls. I had it happen to me. It was a QAD HDX. I ended up getting rid of it and buying a different one. Think something was wrong with it.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    9 days and I start hunting.

Killing will be a different subject, but I'm going to be out there with that intent.

Things are about to turn bloody up in here....

Holt, SparrowHawk and bornfromthecorn like this.
  13. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    Got to my stand at 6:15 this morning and I was getting ready to climb up and I heard a weird noise. Turned on my light and to the right of me was a doe bedded down about 5 yards away. She jumped up and took off. Scared the crap out of me. Can't believe how close they let you get in the dark. Sat till 11. Didn't see anything. Supposed to get cold again Saturday and Sunday. Friday high is 75°, Saturday high is 48°, Sunday 50°

SparrowHawk and Holt like this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone else getting out for a Halloween sit?

It WILL be my first all day sit even if it is my first sit of the season. Hoping for some good weather, doubt I will hunt Nov. 1st as I try not to hunt days before I have to work incase something were to go awry, but after that, 2 days of work and I go on my 13 day rutcation*.

Not going to be overly picky this year, but I can be selective during the first week.

15. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been in Ohio since Friday afternoon. I saw a small buck that evening and haven’t seen anything since. Anybody else having the same deer activity this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same for me. Haven't seen a deer in the last few sits. The buck sign is really picking up, just not seeing them. We are right in the middle of early muzzle loader season, so it really slows down the deer movement.

17. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw 2 deer all weekend. A small buck Friday evening at last light and a spike this morning. Very frustrating weekend, but that's hunting.

18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang that's rough! Does make for a long weekend. At least by next weekend all the craziness will start.

19. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I don't contribute a ton. Its been kinda hard with being about 200 miles from where I can hunt deer, so its been boring. I did get a decent buck antelope a few weeks ago, and helped a few friends get theirs. I am hoping to work remotely (and mostly hunt) from November 6th to the 16th, out west the rifle hunt opens on the 14th. Would give me some time to hopefully find a muley to get with my bow, and then hopefully a couple whitetails (whitetail only tags) for rifle opener. Glad to see your seasons aren't going poorly. Hopefully the action will pick up soon!

Also, little plug or self promotion, I uploaded the video of my doe from earlier this season to youtube if y'all had any interest watching it.

Here is the antelope we got, mine is the third picture.

upload_2020-10-27_7-38-41.png

upload_2020-10-27_7-39-3.png

upload_2020-10-27_7-39-31.png

upload_2020-10-27_7-39-51.png

Holt, SparrowHawk and cls74 like this.
  20. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on getting 1 or 2 sits in between Friday and Monday. My girls just finished up volleyball and cross country for high school and both have decided to join high school swim team. One of them will also be playing club volleyball where practices are 35 minutes away 3x a week. I usually drive 2 days and my wife will take her once a week. No vacation days planned for hunting right now. Just squeeze in time when i can. 4 more years and an empty nest. Hopefully.

Holt likes this.