Comment on Todd’s low shot at 17 yds on big buck tracked by TrapperJohn

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Juicert, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Juicert

Juicert Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps the shot was low because the NAP Nitro broadheads shoot like a field point ( due to small profile ) and Todd was compensating for an expected higher than field point hit due to past experience with fixed blade broadheads ——like me , he may have noticed a slightly higher impact point with larger fixed blades—— I think this means that the bow may be tuned somewhat improperly but I am very unsure of why or even if this occurs—-- maybe he aimed low to compensate in case the deer ducked at the shot—- ALSO —- a question —- does anyone have significant experience with relatively small diameter fixed blades like the NAP Nitro and affect on blood trail and distance deer travel till down—— always a trade off ( penetration vs larger broadhead )—— a sample size of only a few is not very informative —— Todd’s situation here is clearly not an indictment of the broadhead—— maybe he chose a Nitro hoping to get an exit even on shots through thick shoulders

2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Right on, nailed it!

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can fill up michigan stadium with deer killed by little heads like Slick tricks..... This is a non discussion.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel that he simply held a bit low so the buck would drop into it, but it simply didn't. No average archery hunter I know, and certainly not one as experienced as Todd, doesn't first shoot whatever BH they plan to use and adjust the sights to them. I hunted for years and years without realizing that a perfectly tuned bow will shoot FP's and BH's to the same POI. I simply paper tuned and went with it. When I had FP's sighted in and then shot BH's before the season and they hit a little different I just adjusted the sight to the BH's and went hunting. It was never so bad that penetration suffered.
    Trapper John and his dog did outstanding. I thought it was pretty smart to realize the dog had the bucks scent but kept leading them into it's bedding area and they needed to go reset.

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No need to over think it, I expect he aimed a little low anticipating the buck sinking and it was one of those times it didn't. Todd doesn't strike me as the type that doesn't know where his shot is going to go. It's possible he didn't quite account for that angle as well. Every shot with a bow and arrow is a game of odds to some extent. Nice buck and it was cool to see how methodical a good dog works. The concentric circle trick is how I was taught to track as well and it's served me well. That came from a long line of hunters used to working with dogs on my dad's side of the family. I still have had need of a good dog from time to time.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This! I shot slick tricks for years before going to a heavier head/single bevel build. Things smoked game just as efficient and never had a flight issue at all.

BB1 likes this.