Are Crossbows Becoming Too Efficient for Archery Season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, May 28, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your point is well taken. I can say that I have never hunted with a xbow. I have killed 64 deer with a compound, 175 ish with a shotgun, and 2 with an old hawken .54 ML. The bow kills were all pretty darn close. I don't think it really changes much with a xbow as far as the actual hunting style. the scouting still needs to be done and you still have to understand deer. the difference prep...and the actual shot. those are different. it goes as such...
    hardest to easiest:
    Traditional Bow
    Compound
    Xbow
    ML
    Shotgun
    Rifle..
    Of course this is my humble opinion after 30 years of deer hunting. I have never shot a deer with a xbow or rifle...

2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    @Vabowman I have killed deer with all you mentioned below.

Traditional Bow
    Compound
    Xbow
    ML
    Shotgun
    Rifle..

At the end of the day the dang deer didn't give a crap what killed it; cause dead is dead.

To cast any type of deer hunter as a lazy slob simply by the choice of their weapon is kinda-- do I dare say it in these trying times???

YEP discrimination LOL

BearArcher likes this.
  3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thought @0317.. isn't every bit of the technology you use on your bow and gear to make killing a deer easier for you?

BearArcher likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry buddy but most of that is silly pants.
    1. Range if you are comparing vertical to X there is a significant difference. I have watched a guy stack bolts at 100.( Does he try to kill that far no but the rig could)
    2. Yes it's not hard to draw a vertical but daddy can't draw it for me and send me on my way.
    3. Optics... The fact that you can use them makes it inherently a benefit over vertical
    4. Is the go to for all XBow hunters and I agree with for most. If you MEDICALLY or physically cannot shoot a vertical and it gets you in the woods to use a xbow awesome I'm all for it. We need hunters. But "Target panic" is not a valid excuse. It's supposed to be hard. That's what makes hunting great. The weather, the grind, the hours in the stand, the miles on the earth, the practice and the ethics all play a part in making it great.
    I'm not anti XBow and anyone can do whatever they want but don't come here and down play what I do saying you can't do it but what you do is just as hard. Good luck this season.

Vabowman likes this.
  5. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This video pretty much destroys your point on number 1 about range:

As for your statement that target panic is not an excuse, would you rather I not practice with a compound and go hunt with it and wound deer that go off to rot in the woods? Or perhaps you are saying that if I can't overcome it, I shouldn't hunt at all? It's not a mind over matter thing. I have tried to overcome it and short of spending money I don't have on a some sort of professional mental assistance which seems like overkill for an issue related to a hobby, it does not go away and gets worse the more I try and fight through it. I don't have the issue when shooting a crossbow so in my mind it is better to practice with it and use it versus using my compound bow when I know I haven't practiced enough with it to become as proficient with it as I need to be to be ethical. Besides, in my case, I hunt private land that no one else has permission to hunt on other than family members. Why would you care if the deer I shoot on that land during archery season was shot with a compound bow or a crossbow?

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like stated above, I don't care what you or anyone does. My point is I do not believe that a X bow and vertical are equal. I take lots of new hunters under my wing and when it's a child, women, older person or person that can't pull back a vertical bow I am 100 for the XBow. I'm saying if you have money for a xbow then you have money for a release to.... You know what, I've had this argument so many times that I'm bored already.

7. BearArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much agree with your list. I have killed deer with everything on your list except traditional bow. Shotgun and ML are about a toss up though. On shotgun, it depends on if you are talking about a smoothbore birdgun shooting foster type slugs or a purpose built slug gun with fully rifled barrel shooting sabot slugs. On muzzleloader it depends on if you are talking about an old flintlock Hawken or Kentucky rifle shooting patched round ball or a modern inline using 209 primers with scope shooting 150 grains of pyrodex pellets and sabot round. That's why I say that the order for shotgun or ML go go either way.

Of course this could be extended to compound bows. Today's top of the line compounds put the Barnett compound I had in the late 80s with round wheels (no cams) and only 50% let off to shame and are much easier to hit with.

Vabowman likes this.
  8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sota and Vabowman like this.
  9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to stay out of the crossbow argument. It's a futile argument and there is no hope for either side to convince the other side that they are wrong. I'm on the record in previous years saying I have no problem with crossbows being legal during archery season and I'll just leave it at that. I have no desire to get dragged into that particular pissing contest ever again.

That being said, the above paragraph is just not correct. A scope makes all the difference in the world.

This is just my opinion, but I believe that the vast majority of bad shots made by vertical bow shooters is caused by failing to properly center the pin or sight housing (however they do it) in the peep because in the heat of the moment they get rattled. Same goes for no-peep shooters: They get rattled and don't anchor properly. That's not even a concern if you're shooting with a scope. You'll still get rattled, but if the weapon is sighted in and the crosshairs are on the target when you pull the trigger it's going to hit where you were aiming. You may or may not agree with that and that's okay. As I said, it's just my opinion. But let's forget about that.

The real benefit of a good scope in archery is that first or last 5 minutes of legal light or that first or last 10 minutes of legal light under a heavy canopy. For vertical bow hunters, it's all but hopeless. You need a lighted sight at that point and trying to line up a lighted pin through a peep while simultaneously struggling to see the deer in very dim light is next to impossible.

With a good quality scope, however, it's not a problem at all. Looking through good glass with crosshairs to guide your arrow in those conditions gives a well equipped crossbow hunter a huge advantage at that time of day.

Shocker99, Fix and Vabowman like this.
  10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too will stay out of this argument because of the futility. But I will say this, love 'em or hate 'em, crossbows are here to stay. As a matter of fact, my prediction is that it is the future of archery. The main reason I say that is because 1. Most states have relaxed the rules on crossbows and 2. Crossbow companies have put millions upon millions into new products over the last five years. If they didn't think it was the future, they would not have done that. It's simple; follow the money. That's just my thoughts.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

dnoodles, Fix, Vabowman and 1 other person like this.
  11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm here to enjoy the woods.

Hunt on.

Fix, LittleChief and Vabowman like this.
  12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Not me. I'm here to kill deer. :tu:

Fix likes this.
  13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed let's save the BS for when we can't kill deer.

LittleChief and virginiashadow like this.
  14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. :tu:

15. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not look down on a xbow hunter, but when someone kills a deer with a xbow, I automatically have a feeling of less difficult simply because they did not have to draw on an animal at close range. Same as a traditional shooter would say about me with a release and sight. there are levels of difficulty folks. why can't people just agree to that? No hate for anyone or weapon, just the facts. My compound is so much easier to kill with than my recurve. my compound is also harder to kill with than a xbow. accept it...that simple. I will say the whole "my shoulder" thing gets old, especially when a guy in his 20-30s is telling me this.. sorry, but just be proud of the xbow...it's kind of like when you ask a 19 year old if they are going to school and they reply, "well right now Im going to community college, but I plan on going to university",, who cares? no shame in community college, I went for two years before university and was proud of it ....just making excuses and hunt with the damn xbow if it's what floats your boat..
    How bout this?
    https://louisianabowhunter.com/the-painful-truth-about-crossbows/

Fix likes this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can not agree with 0317 however Pope and Young do not believe crossbows are the same as a bow.

Vabowman likes this.
  18. BearArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Ok...I'll give you that. If you spend the money on a nice scope then there is an advantage in low light. I was basing this on my own experience and I do not have a "nice" scope. I have a non magnified 3 dot red dot sight that came on the crossbow. This particular sight is actually a disadvantage in low light because even set on the dimmest setting, the tube you look through is filled with a red glow in low light conditions and you can not see your target. I definitely can not shoot 30 minutes before sunrise or 30 minutes after sunset. Sunrise to sunset is about it and the sight is more effective the brighter it is outside. Yes, I could spend money on a better scope or some other optic that didn't have this issue and I may do so in the future but for now, my reality is that I am not enjoying an advantage over the sight I had on my compound bow.

LittleChief likes this.
  19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    do you still hunt both?

20. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wrong, many DO agree with me and my beliefs or similar ... there isnt one BOW hunter I know that likes the the damn things ... if one wants to use 'em, do so in the firearms season ...