Base layers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Oct 1, 2020.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey folks,

I’ve been using under armor cold gear for years but feel an upgrade might be in order as they have seen better days. What are you all wearing? I’m typically hunting in daily highs in the 30’s and 40’s and sometimes mid 20’s. I walk a ways and usually am in stand for anywhere from half day to all day sits. I see merino is popular as well as the first lite and Sitka base layers. I don’t mind spending the coin if it will keep me warm. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Merino wool. I switched from UA 2 seasons ago and have no regrets. I buy my base layers in the off season when they go on sale. Smart wool in 150 and 250 weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

cantexian likes this.
  3. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are primarily stationary/stand hunting, I would go with merino wool for base and mid layers. IMO gives you the best bang for your buck, and multi-use. You could go with a merino shirt next to skin, then a mid weight sweater/hoodie/quarter zip type shirt, and an outer jacket that cuts wind down. I've picked up First Lite stuff each season and you can't go wrong with them. Lots of quality brands: First Lite, Sitka, Smart Wool, etc. The First Lite Furnace sweater is the warmest garment I've ever owned.

grindr and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  4. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Merino Wool is the way to go.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Merino Wool!

7. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all. Do you advise a light weight merino next to skin like t shirt and then mid or heavy weight merino over that? I didn’t know if the mid or heavy merino next to skin would dry fast enough if I sweat.

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had good luck with the 200-210 weight for next to skin layer. Ice breaker is good and can find a set on sale for 100-120 bucks if you shop around. I have core 4 Element merino set right now because it was on a good sale cause they went out of business. Several good brands and I would go with most economical if on a budget. If not, First Lite is hard to beat.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The heavier weight will keep you warmer in cold weather. As far as drying if wet, I would not worry about it. Different weights of merino wool will have so little difference in dry time that you will not notice it.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Merino won't dry as well as synthetics, but does retain its warmth when wet.

So early season (in the South) , I like a synthetic base (like the light weight sitka stuff) or a thin merino (FL)... If I need to add warmth /insulation layers, (once I start to cool /get cold) so be it.

Ideally though, you don't want to be sweating... So on my hikes in/out I'll go with as little for warmth as needed...general a sitka lightweight or FL llano down to about 35 degrees, because when I'm moving I'm gonna heat up real quick. Warmth /insulation goes in my backpack, till I'm in the tree and all set (again just as I start to get cool, I'll add a layer... Maybe a second depending on temps.)

Other variables are wind and moisture which can sap your body temp quickly.

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Two last thoughts on merino.

The pure stuff, doesn't handle wear /abrasion as well as a blend... Also the lighter stuff takes wear /tear worse than mid /heavy weight.

Brands, apart from brands folks mentioned:
    Black Ovis also has some decent merino, but it runs small (so you need to size up). Smartwool also has some good. Seems like they run a slightly heavier fabric than others.

Smartwool also decent. I've picked up a few pieces and like it, though the colors aren't exactly ideal for hunting... But for an under layer, does it matter?

13. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another for merino. I wear a thin merino t-shirt next to skin then I have other pieces varying in thickness for the next layers.

14. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’m thinking a light next to skin layer and then either a medium or heavy layer depending on weather. All merino. I’m ditching the UA this year. I’ll have a primaloft vest over that. I’ve never quit hunting because of it but the older I get, the more I want to be comfortable. Thanks again all. Blessings.