Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at the one in this list of gear. I am using an Alps pack this year for saddle hunting. I am impressed so far. I have used a Badlands pack in the past but it was a day pack model that did not have an internal frame and would collapse inward with the weight of sticks and platform. At the price point, you would probably be happy with this one.

That guy has his used predator listed for more than a new one. I would be interested if it was appropriately priced for being used.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    hah, I thought the same thing. Never felt it through my Alphaburly Sports and they're not the thickest of soles.
    The only reason I was thinking of welding rebar across the top as footpegs is due to the extra length of the OOAL XL. Puts the outer front edge significantly further from the base of the tree which means you are almost upright if you want to stand on the edge which basically means you are standing almost completely upright which is NOT comfortable or having to extend your tether to ridiculous lengths which is dumb and unsafe.

I definitely should have gotten the standard OOAL vs. the XL. I say that now but will gladly become full hypocrite when the extra length allows me to tip toe 180* and shoot a big buck.

One thing I did do to help it seat more securely was stand sideways on that top section above the cam lock and put all my weight straight down on that one foot- it would slide down an inch or so and bite in. But would continually flex loose over time and I'd have to do it again every 30-60 minutes or so.

3. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that was fast, lol!

was the ratchet just not a viable option either?

4. cole62895

cole62895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I think I am going to take the plunge into this. I have been looking for a way to be a little more mobile on the farm that I hunt. Typically I set a ladder stand in the same area every year, as it has historically been a great observation spot and great mid October morning spot. From my observations, I then use a hang on stand that is older than I am and weighs a ton. So it ends up being a set it once and hunt that when the conditions are right. I think I want to take the plunge into saddle hunting for the evening hunts when I typically get more mobile.

I have skimmed through the thread, and have come across a lot of useful information. I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg this year, Basically I want to get the saddle, tether, lineman's rope, and possibly a platform this year and work on just getting comfortable with the set up. I may end up using one of our hang on stands as the platform, as it is already in the tree. Next year I will get sticks and hone the system in.

What are the opinions on the tethrd system? I like the idea of it, just want to make sure I don't drop $300 to be disappointed.

5. ohiocheese

ohiocheese Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you guys are camming the OOAL platform, are you lifting up before camming down? This video may help.

dnoodles and cantexian like this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure with a ratchet it will be fine, I just wanted to try the Mission platform. I'm a sucker for gear. And with all the saddle hoopla out there, I'm sure I'll have no issues selling whichever one I like the least.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This man is a damn genius.

dnoodles likes this.
  8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The best thing to do would be to find someone near you who does not mind meeting up and letting you try their saddle. Everyone's body is a little different and what may work fine for someone else will be totally uncomfortable for you. I tried both Tethrd and Aerohunter saddles before buying one. I could never get comfortable in a Tethrd saddle and I have tried all of their models. The Aerohunter brand just felt more comfortable to me. Both companies make great products. But, you may not like something that seems good without trying it first.

9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like an awkward moment in the Cook County forest preserves just waiting to happen.

cantexian and Justin like this.
  10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I thought I was, but now I am not sure. I will have to give it another go this weekend.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a man with firsthand experience of this. :lol:

A friend of a friend is a biologist for Crook County FP and he's got all sorts of interesting stories, as you may imagine.

12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I will have to trust your experience when it comes weird things in the woods. I don't know what crazy crap happens in the woods in Illinois, but around here most of just try to help a fellow hunter out. There are more than a few meth heads and other idiots that will steal stuff they find on public land though.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, well as Justin knows they don't allow hunters to use Cook County (or most any northern IL) Forest Preserves so you end up with a lot of hippies and weirdos doing weirdo hippy things.

...tens and tens of thousands of acres of beautiful Illinois woods, teeming with GIANT deer...completely unhuntable and tame enough to eat out of your hand so as not to affront the sensibilities of suburban housewives.

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That Trophy line mission platform does look great. If I was in need of one, that would probably be the one I would get. @Justin lets us know what you think off it when you get it.

Justin likes this.
  15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I just exceed the weight rating of my boot soles :confused:. My old muddys I’m wearing are on their last leg. I’ll dust off the pronghorns and see if they feel better. I can deal with it, just being a pansy.

16. Bullridnfool

Bullridnfool Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok just caught up. I have a trophyline saddle. Like it but would like the adjustable legs. Mine are fixed. Have yet to sit more then 5 hours. Not uncomfortable just seems like a different fatigue then stands. Tethred platform slips if i sit on the side much. Any ideas on diy back strap?

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Use the strap off of duffle bag for a back strap. I don't personally feel the need for a back strap, but it seems like the manufactured straps really are not anything more than that.

Bullridnfool likes this.
  18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I tested out the right way to cam lock the OOAL platform - works like a charm!

Then I put it away and went and hunted out of a Lone Wolf last night. It was amazing. :lol:

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    virginiashadow likes this.