Ok that was awesome

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting in the stand we have all seen some crazy stuff. What I just saw was a first for me and easily the coolest.
    I was watching a tree rat when a hawk slams it to the ground. It was LOUD and out of nowhere. I went for my bag for my bino and the hawk took off.

What is the coolest thing you have got to witness from the tree?

GregH likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once had a huge owl almost land on my head. Felt the wind off his wings when he pulled up about 3 feet short of my head. I almost crapped myself. Still vividly remember that exact moment 20 years later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

GregH and Fix like this.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heard a pack of hounds running something, got ready as they were getting closer, this black thing runs by at 50 yds, hauling azz, no idea what it was. to tall to be deer. Wife texted , EMU running thru neighborhood. Ran around for a few days before getting hit by a car. I would've shot it..

Wop 75, GregH and Fix like this.
  4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the squirrel taken of the tree by the hawk and taken all the way to the ground.

Owl flaring up trying to land on your head.

Pack of wild dogs surround me - I carry a pistol more often now.

Hawks land, arm reach away.

Called in foxes turkey hunting to a few yards.

Had a deer nearly step on me sitting on the ground, once.

But the coolest, was a young buck that found a plastic grocery bag in the woods. Stepped on it and started playing with it as it crinkled, like a cat or young pup may. Then it tried to spike it with his horns, for stuck on his antler /head, thren ran circles about the woods like a crazed animal, well the does he was with kept feeding...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    GregH, Fix and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  5. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    been there and done that believe it or not!

JeffC likes this.
  6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a bobcat kill a squirrel last year. This was about 5 mins before. I videod it walking in and it sat and waited for a bit, so i stopped recording. Then it nailed a squirrel on the side of the tree. Crazy 6D9454D9-8A4F-4A6E-B1C6-FABE2BF8ED63.jpeg

Hoytvectrix and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I have also seen a doe with a soup can stuck on her face...

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen some pretty good doe fights. Watched a young fork come up behind an old nanny doe and go for a biden like smell. She wheeled and hit that buck in the face with her front hoof sounded like a big bar room punch.

Hotrod9 and Vabowman like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a hawk kill a squirrel on the ground 10 yards in front of me. Seconds later a huge owl swoops in and lands 10 feet from the hawk ..... it wants the squirrel. The hawk having none of it takes off with the squirrel and the owl follows.

I've also had an owl try to land on my head in the dark.... thank God for safety belts.

Probably the coolest thing I've seen from the stand was a huge bodied 8 point buck guard a doe from 4 other bucks. A lot of chasing, snort wheezing, grunting and running around. Then tired as can be the doe stood for him and I watched him breed her. Not like a perv! This was at about 6 yards. When he was finished he came right under my tree and rested there for a minute or two. I almost offered him a cigarette. He wasn't the buck I was after so I let him go. It was pretty cool.

Wop 75, JeffC, Fix and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn that sounds like my freshman year of college, not the watching part.:biggrin:

GregH likes this.
  11. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the late winter, I like to go for a walk in the woods at night after a fresh snowstorm. Last winter, I had a barred owl following directly above me for about 45 minutes. It wasn't until I kicked up a rabbit that he swooped in on did I realize what he was doing. I gained some serious appreciation for owls that night.

Sota likes this.
  12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    my dad was on the mower once and a 2lb catfish fell from the sky into his lap! looked up to see an osprey coming nose first for his crotch! lol

JeffC likes this.
  13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If i had to pick one thing out itd probably be a crow and a rabbit playing leap frog with each other. Ive seen rabbits play like that with each other but thats the first and only time I've ever see a crow and a rabbit playing together. One would run at the other and the one standing would jump the other one then theyd change up and reverse it. They played like that for a good 20 minutes. Maybe the single cutest thing I've ever watched in nature.

Wop 75 and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One night on stand, think it was 2 years ago. I also posted it on LFTS. It was dark and I was starting to pack up. I heard some twigs snap above me, then what I thought was a branch fall and hit me on the back, but it didn't bounce or fall off. So I slowly look over my shoulder to flick it off and staring directly at me at less then 4 inches from my face is a flying squirrel. It landed on my back and just sat on my shoulder. I didn't move and it just jumped off and glided down to the ground.

Another crazy thing that happen was probably 15 plus years ago. I wasn't hunting much, maybe 2-3 times a year. I lost my property and had other hobbies. So a guy said I could come sit in his back yard. He had feeder that he ran year around and I could shoot one of the does. As I'm sitting there a blue Jay is sitting up in a tree and is screaming like a red tail hawk. All the birds fly away in fear and he just goes down to the feeder and starts eating corn, all by him self. Well those Red tail hawk screams actually attracted a hawk. That hawk swooped down and grab that Blue Jay and landed on a branch just 10 yards from me. It looked like he just killed it and dropped it on the ground. But when I got down in the evening I went and checked the blue Jay and he actually pecked out his brains and ate them, pretty wild to see.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JeffC likes this.
  15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was sitting on the edge of some timber and a clear cut one morning, early elk season. Elk weren't being vocal so I was sitting and hoping something would wander by. I'm sitting on a stump and have my legs stretched out in front of me. Down the hill from me about 50 yards two squirrels come barreling out of the trees, one chasing the other. They zig zag their way all the way to me. The first one ran by so close that I could've reached out and grabbed it. The second one jumped onto my foot, then knee, then my shoulder, and then to the ground. I was nothing more than a piece of the terrain to him. Made me grin like a fool.

Another time my BIL and I were walking into a spot early one morning to do some calling to try to locate a bull. It was very faint light, just before enough shooting light. It was a chilly morning and I was wearing a brown stocking cap. My BIL was about 10 yards behind me, he had stopped to adjust his gear. Suddenly I hear a "whoosh!" right by my head. I reflex duck and look up to see a Sparrow Hawk. It climbed up into the air and then swooped back down at me another 4 times. I finally had to take my cap off and hold my bow over my head to get the damn thing to realize the top of my head wasn't his breakfast. BIL still laughs when he thinks of it.

JeffC likes this.