The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck

2. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ash hope you make full recovery soon!

Took a week off from hunting, to warm. Temps are cooling down and I'll start hunting again. Had a big decision to make, go rifle hunting elk in Colo. last of Oct to early Nov. or stay home and bow hunt the rut. Decided to stay home and bow hunt, from past elk hunting trips I'll save money and put more meat in the freezer staying home lol.

Good luck to all the team hunting!

ash d likes this.
  3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been debating an afternoon sit this evening or just waiting until Friday afternoon when the wind is doing what I need it to do. Last season I sat on the creek so long based solely on trail cam pics I feel like if I keep going there, I'll have the same season. If I hunt the pond area, I'll have to get to the east side of it where it is thicker but I have little info about that area. I want to save that area for when scrapes start showing up, I believe that is a hot zone of buck activity closer to end of October. Another option is to sit over the pond on the west side catching that travel route, it's a gamble, but it may work if they come from the assumed bedding area.

4. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I'm talking about,
    Blue outline I believe holds doe beds, it's so thick you have to basically crawl through it, I've tried but it is pain in the butt to get through to scout.
    Purple: Cedar thicket, large rubs, typically has a lot of scrapes.
    Blue circle: Pond
    Star: Preset sticks
    Green lines: Known/observed travel routes.
    upload_2020-9-30_8-11-17.png

fletch920, farmer rick and Oldcarp like this.
  5. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Should be in my stand by 530 I guess there’s no rush since the moon has everything lit up. I don’t think my spot will produce a buck this early season but ya never know. Shoulder feels good. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Good luck.

Oldcarp likes this.
  6. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck guys! I am not out this morning but as long as it’s not pouring rain this evening I will be in a stand somewhere in SW Michigan. Shoot straight and KILLLL!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

fletch920 and Oldcarp like this.
  7. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck everybody. I still have 29 days before I leave for 15 days of hunting Whitetail. The end of next week I do have a deer rifle hunt with my son for 5 days. Anyway, you guys enjoy.

fletch920 likes this.
  8. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First set of 2020. Got out later than I wanted so I decided to on the edge of a hay field that the deer come out into at night. I'm over looking a small creek that comes off the hill that the deer like to funnel down. Unfortunately my wind is swirling , so will see how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oldcarp likes this.
  9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I skipped opening day today to work. I normally do not really hunt any until about the 25th or so of October, but this year I have the itch and will probably try to get out tomorrow afternoon. We are having some really cool weather that seems to have the deer moving well. We had a great acorn crop in places and I will probably throw in a mobile set on an oak ridge and at least try to get organized for the season. Good luck to all!

Oldcarp likes this.
  10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out tomorrow, should be leaving work by 1, head to house, grab crap, be in woods setup 2/2:30.
    Wind is good for pond stand, I see no reason why I shouldn’t go there. Might get closer to pond, we will see how I feel on the ground.

11. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys it was one hell of a good opening night. I ended up seeing somewhere around 20 deer, including 6 different bucks. I had tension on the string to shoot a doe when I spotted the big 8 I posted about earlier. He was coming on a string when another decent buck popped out of the ditch, they sparred, worked about 5 scrapes and then took a left when I needed them to come right and close another 40 yards.

When the rain stopped the flood gates opened wide and in a hurry. Might be back in there Sunday evening to hunt the stand I wanted to be in tonight

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am still at work and my cameras have been going off non-stop! Tons of activity. The cold front really has them moving. I will get my gear organized tonight and look forward to getting out tomorrow evening.

Oldcarp, farmer rick and MIHOYT89 like this.
  13. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to see more of the team out hunting!

Deer made me look dumb Wed. afternoon. Hunted a food plot where there's way to many does and it's usually a sure place to shoot a doe. Very windy and raining on and off all day. 1st doe and fawn come out feed awhile then the doe starts staring in my direction then they run off. I think wth they can't see or smell me. After two more groups of deer come out and do the same thing I know somethings wrong. After staring out my blind window I noticed the small tree I stuck in the ground for a licking branch over a mock scrape is swinging crazy with the wind. It's actually going way to one side and then swinging way to the other side. Does knew it wasn't natural. Ending up cutting some branches off and anchoring it better.

New bucks are showing up. One is broke off already. WGI_2514.JPG MFDC5562.JPG

ash d, Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  14. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At work today until 1400 hours. Truck is loaded with gear and food. Set for a three day hunt starting tonight. Gotta be home by 1400 hours on Sunday as Talledega is that afternoon...

MIHOYT89 and fletch920 like this.
  15. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Venison and 50 points. IMG_1607.JPG

Team Haastyle, ash d, Oldcarp and 5 others like this.
  16. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yea Rick, great shot and congratulations! Just remember 2 pictures with the deer and your bow.

I have a feeling that this thread is going to get very bloody, very fast!

ash d likes this.
  17. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw two doe
    Got into the stand at 1530
    First deer at 1812 but no shot
    Second at 1833 at 17 yards but three limbs were in the way...those will be trimmed on Monday after work
    Five coon at 1900
    Congratulations Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  18. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Rick! Congratulations!

It's been a day or two since I checked into the team thread. I didn't know until I saw it on the scorecard.

19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, this last trip to Kentucky was horrible. The first two sits were pretty good. The first was an afternoon sit and seven does fed by, but the path they took kept me from having a shot at any of them. Shortly after that a little spike and a small six point walked through following the same path. That was all for that sit.

I went back to my brother's house and was looking at the Official Scorecard Thread. Some new member had posted a congratulatory comment so I went to delete that comment. Somehow I managed to delete the entire Official Scorecard Thread. Permanently. I was up until almost midnight scrambling to rebuild it from scratch, contact anyone who was online and gather as much information about the kills already posted. It's still not quite finished. I think there are two kills that haven't been re-entered now, but their scores are listed.

I did get on stand the next morning and about 8:30 a little spike came through on the same trail as the others yesterday. It wasn't long after that a beautiful 10 point did the exact same thing. No shot. Again. They were all at about 30 yards at the closest and none of them knew I was there.

I got down and moved mid-morning to a spot where I'd have shots at these deer. I just knew I was about to kill something that afternoon or the next morning. You know how it goes: Nothing came through that afternoon. The next morning just before legal light the big one showed up but came from another direction and walked right by the tree I had been in. He hit my scent stream but the Ozonics kept him from bolting. He stood there for a good 5 minutes sniffing, then finally turned around and skirted the pond at 35 yards without presenting a shot and then walked right under the tree I'd moved from.

After that I never saw another deer.

20. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received: