Time for a new pair of boots! Recomendations wanted

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of arctic boot shields as well. I'm just now thinking about how they would work saddle hunting because I lean 99% of the time. I'll have to investigate and practice with them. I like that approach though. Comfort for the 2 plus mile walk-ins and the same walk back out is extremely important.

cantexian and LittleChief like this.
  2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried rubber boots and my feet get too cold, I found a pair of under armor under hunting boots (not sure the model, 8" uninsulated) at TJ maxx for $40 and they have been the best thing for my feet. They do start to get cold in low temps, but they seem to take longer to get to that point, I have the artic shield covers but they are kind of bulky for saddle hunting.
    I bought some Muck boots (artic ice?) last season for my public land spot that gets flooded for duck hunting, I need a tall rubber boot for that and they have been good as well. They are still a rubber boot and my toes started getting cold, but I also have to hike about a mile in them as well. Usually a sock change prolongs my feet from getting cold.
    Good luck, but go check out TJ Maxx & Ross; Marshalls rarely have any footwear for men, but you can find some killer deals sometimes.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I was.typing that last night I was wondering how the boot covers would work while saddle hunting.

I know nothing about saddle hunting so I don’t know exactly what your feet rest on.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also looking for a new hunting boot and will have to look at some of the recommendations.
    I will add that I too had an old pair of Rocky's, they were great and held up for several years. They were waterproof with 800 grams.
    Since they worked well, about 2 years ago I bought another pair of Rockys, waterproof and 800 grams.
    Feet got wet in them the very first time I hunted in them, and do every time if I hunt in or after rain even after trying to treat them.
    They aren't the Rocky's of old, so don't be suckered into a pair of them since your old ones worked so well.

OhioHunter72 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    My feet are resting on a modified Viper platform, but I lean back into the saddle, which does make my feet slide inside the boot. I'm worried about that slide happening between the boot and boot cover.

platform.jpg

6. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have same problem of my toes getting cold in rubber boots. I have cabelas 2000gr insulate and they dont keep me warm

7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear muck boots. in cold weather I put hand warmer inside them. works great. If you want lace ups, hell you got 10 years out the rocky's, why not go with them again?

8. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Because Rockys of today aren’t the same as 10 years ago. I bought some 3 years ago and they aren’t even close to waterproof even after being treated.

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I might have had the same pair. Nice boot but did not perform as advertised....had two pair. I stopped buying rocky after that.

10. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I ran up to North40 after work and picked up some Danner Pronghorns. Will wear them to work the rest of this week and then test them in the elk woods this weekend.

11. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Early report on the Danner Pronghorns.
    They are definitely a boot that requires some breaking in. The sole area for your foot feels a bit tight when new, but does stretch some within the first day. I was banking on this, the ee's (extra wide) felt better trying them on in the store but I figured they would stretch some so I went with a regular width size. I didn't want the ee's to stretch and then my foot could move around too much when walking steep terrain, especially downhill and sidehill.
    They are an 8" boot and the portion above the ankle is what really needs some break in time. If you try to cinch them up at what I'd call "normal" tightness when new they will not be pleasant. I tied them up like I normally would, but within an hour of getting to work I had to loosen them up quite a bit. They are getting better but will take a few days to really break in. Make sure to give some decent break in time before trying to head out for a good walk for hunting.
    The foot sole portion breaks in fairly quickly, by the afternoon of my first day wearing them at work they seemed to get more and more "cushy" as the day went on.
    I haven't had a chance to test the waterproofing yet, but my elk hunting area is calling for rain most of the day today and I'll be out the next morning. Should be plenty of wet vegetation to see how they hold up.

slickbilly-d and Swamp Stalker like this.
  12. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Had some rain this weekend while elk hunting. Didn’t hunt in the rain but did quite a bit of walking in wet grass.
    Both days my socks were damp after hunting. Danner claims they are treated out of the box and 100% waterproof. Not impressed. Will see if North40 will take them back.
    My search continues for a waterproof boot that doesn’t have a Kenetrec price tag.

13. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think it may be possible that your socks were wicking moisture out of your pants? I think that happens to me quite a bit and I’ve thought about gaiters.

14. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I still hiked long distances to stands, I would wear a light pair of hiking boots until I got a 100 yds or so from stand. Then I would switch out to my Bog rubber boots. I'm currently on year 4 of using the same pair of Bogs. I often use them for early fishing season to launch and load boat. I've never had probs with feet getting cold in them and Mine get cold easy. Now that I'm in SC no more worries about cold feet :)

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote here for Danner boots. I have a pair of Danner Sharptail's that have been on lots of trips and worn most weekends for years and years. I give them a good cleaning and treatment with saddle butter once a year and they are still in great shape with years to go. If you can, spend the money and get a pair of boots that will last you for a decade or more.

Shocker99 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You would be talking about the Made in U.S.A Danners I presume. I had pronghorns and they were just ok. I plan on buying a pair of the better danners. Tired of Mucks and Lacrosse rubbers. From now on they will be worn only as needed.

17. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Not really, as it was the toe's end of my socks that were damp. Other than the front of my sock the rest was still dry.

18. PANJHunter

PANJHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered a pair of the Danner Vitals 1200g insulation off midwayusa for $140. They were $50 cheaper there than Amazon.

My rifle season boots are Mickey Boots but there's no way I'm climbing in those so I wanted something lighter but insulated for the cold NE PA weather in November.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good thread. Both my pair of boots had my feet drenched the past two hunts.

20. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    my broke ass went with these:

upload_2020-10-13_15-6-20.png

I've had a few hunts in them so far. The first morning it was 32 degrees and didn't need to turn on my heated socks which was great. Pretty comfy so far. I stand 99% of my hunt and the soles are stiff with support, yet not overly thick to not be able to feel anything under my feet.

The only negative is when the sides of the soles touch each other, they squeak. I'm hoping it is just because they are new and need to get broken in more. That will be a killer for sure.