The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Or I’ll could be super aggressive relying on fresh washed clothes, ozonics, and hunt the thicket on the big rub/pond. Tempted to do that, it would be easier if the foliage was off the trees.
    On the other hand, it would be nice to get a doe and get the jitters out sitting at the creek.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  2. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that’s not good. Shoulders are a very tough I just to deal with. I had both of mine operated on by the age of 23 and both were 9-15 month full recovery. I’m definitely hoping for your sake and sanity that it’s a pinched nerve or something small that will get better over a short period with some PT

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You aren't allowed to be injured during bow season. It's somewhere in the contract I believe.

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That has been my primary problem hunting here at home. The prevailing wind here has always been SW or SSW. Ever since the season opened on the 15th the wind has primarily been out of the an easterly direction. I need that to stop. The Ozonics has allowed me to not get winded, but while many deer will walk through and think nothing of it, I'll bet those old mature does and old, wise bucks get wary when they walk into a spot where they can't smell anything.

The wind is finally supposed to shift to a SSW wind tomorrow. I'm going to sneak in in the middle of the day today, check my cameras and move one of my climbers to a spot in the NE corner of my property for Sunday morning, more for an observation sit than anything. I'll still rely on the Ozonics if anything comes from the NE but I need to see where these deer are entering my property. I suspect the does are coming from the east and south and the bucks are coming from the NW.

5. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Big guy came through 2 days ago, hoping he is about 2 hours behind today. Doe still pile out this corner around 5pm, worst case, I can probably put a shot on one this evening.
    589F4704-B50E-495E-9EC5-F47EB5AED41D.jpeg

ash d, farmer rick and LittleChief like this.
  6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    See that crooked tree in the background, I’m in that one.

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there!

I’d be so pumped if I were hunting somewhere with daylight buck pics.

I’m only getting night pics.

dprsdhunter and ash d like this.
  8. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can get my crossbow up so I’m still in the game. Anti inflammatory medicine seems to be helping at bit. Since last Thursday I’d say I got 10% more movement. So hopefully mri will tell me something or nothing.

LittleChief likes this.
  9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Just the kind of trail cam pics I don’t want to get. I don't worry too much about running into a bear or a hog, but these? I started carrying a small pistol in my pocket this morning.

That’s a brave little doe in that four pic sequence. Not sure this app will put them in order.
    STC_0007.jpg
    STC_0006.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  10. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know the owners of the dogs chief?

LittleChief likes this.
  11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I do. Edited to add that I won't even go to his house. There's a whole family of addicts there from what I hear and I don't want to say a word. I had pics of those dogs last year and they don't seem to bother the deer much.

I love dogs, but if it becomes a problem the best solution would be just to make the dogs go away quietly. Well, maybe with a bang.

If I ever mentioned the problem to him and then had to dispatch one or both then all hell would most likely break loose.

In the event I have to shoot one defending myself I'll have to decide whether to us the SSS system or get law enforcement involved. I guess it depends on whether I get injured or not.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    ash d likes this.
  12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Opening weekend update: Saw 7 doe in two evening hunts, pulled a dummy move, and hunted a stand I shouldn’t have. Overall, I’m happy I was able to get out and see some deer, would have been nice to have some fresh venison burger this week, but it’ll have to wait.
    It was too warm to be hunting, this evening I hunted the pond stand in the wrong wind, I believe the ozonics worked to an extent, the deer would hit the scent and alert, but not like they smelled a sweaty dude in a tree. I believe my sweat stank eventually gave me up especially after I hit my release on accident letting my bow down. Sent an arrow all of 10/15 yards like a dummy.
    What I learned, don’t hunt a dumb wind, need to clear some more shooting lanes, and need to step up scent control on these warm days. There is a pretty good cold front coming Tuesday, I have ball games Monday and Tuesday, so maybe Ill get out Wednesday evening.
    Overall, I’m super happy, sometimes I get bummed going home empty handed, but I saw deer on both hunts which some folks don’t get to say.

Oldcarp, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    So you got to see some deer do the Ozonics Shuffle? Pretty cool, isn't it?

You have the right idea. The Ozonics just covers your six, so to speak. It'll help if the wind is wrong and you might get a shot when you normally wouldn't have, but their slogan "Forget the wind and Hunt" is BS.

Oldcarp likes this.
  14. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I had shots on each doe, they just happen to stop in cover, I really thought I was busted but they just sniff around...more like a curious alert. The wind was definitely wrong this evening and I believe the ozonics would have given me that few extra moments for a shot. It’s going to take some time to have more confidence in it, but so far I don’t have buyers remorse.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  15. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa.... been MIA for a bit here. Crazy time for me at work as we are deep into pond construction/lining season which requires out of town stays quite often. I've only been able to get out a couple times so far, and they've been pretty much a bust each time. Going to hunt a different piece this weekend with the cold front, and hoping to at least contribute to my freezer.

LittleChief likes this.
  16. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It was a fun youth hunt. They missed a couple But they finally connected.

Attached Files:

17. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    40 mph winds today. Aint nobody but a fool gonna climb up in a tree today.
    Hunting Leshara on Friday and into Iowa for a Saturday/Sunday hunt.

LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  18. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well my season opens Thursday. Only downside is that there is rain forecasted for the last half of the week and weekend. Hopefully it isn't raining to hard and I can get a few sits in.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well if I don't get out Thursday the 1st, I won't get out at all Friday/Saturday/Sunday now....wife accepted an invite from family for a weekend spent with family.....of course no one really thought about deer opening weekend....but alas if I go that is going to be remembered AND it is still very early.

The west winds predicted Thursday is going to most likely place me near swamp bedding with clover micro spot between it and corn fields....no telling what walks out. I'll most likely shoot buck or doe.

farmer rick, Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  20. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Getting back a little more movement in my arm. Probably close to 60%. Maybe the meds are helping or just time. X-rays were negative, hopefully mri will be this week. I’ll be hunting Thursday morning for the opener regardless.