First bow for 14 yo grandson

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by John T., Jun 13, 2020.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My grandson wants to use his money plus what he gets at Christmas to buy a new bow. Told him he would have to be good to get money. OK, he mentioned the Bear Limitless outfit for $199 which is what he is budgeting for now. Looked at Amazon and reviews were not favorable. He has been shooting my wife's Diamond Infinite Edge Pro at 28 lb. He probably could move up a bit. Really likes it. Shooting good groups. However, at $349 it's out of the price range. Your recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks.

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally would start watching for a used Infinite Edge for him.
    Ebay, local classifieds, local archery club members, archery forums on the internet or even Facebook archery groups have bows for sale all the time.
    Use Paypal to try to protect your money in case the seller pulls something.
    I firmly follow the general consensus of reviews, they are usually right.

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Many thanks. Review was 3-1/2 out of 5.

4. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Checked Amazon and there were a few that were under the $349 and a few over it. Fleabay has one, hardly used, for a current bid of $190.00. Several were outfits with arrows, case, etc. I bought a MEC 600, 20 Ga. and got a great deal. As with all Fleabay items, it is good to be cautious and see the reviews of the seller. Again, Mod-it, thanks two bunches!

5. Kenneth Jasinski

Kenneth Jasinski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest a used Diamond Infinite Edge for him as well, they are great bows and look on craigslist and you can sometimes find the full set up for $250 or less

6. Isaac Paulakonis

Isaac Paulakonis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Diamond Infinite edge would be my go to for a solid beginner bow. You can find these on Craigslist in good condition for $250, and the bow is highly adjustable.

My first blow was a Bear Apprentice III, which is a good option as well, and around the same price as the Diamond Infinite edge, but maybe a tad cheaper.

Both are good bows, but I'd look at a Diamond Infinite edge first.

7. Isaac Paulakonis

Isaac Paulakonis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Craze is also a good option for a youth bow, too.

8. rysaroni

rysaroni Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very new to this (only started in the spring), but am 5'4 110lbs and have the PSE Uprising. I'm very comfortable with this bow and it's easy to adjust the draw weight. It goes from 15-70.

9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my 14 year old son a Mission Hammr. think we got the whole kit and kabootle ready to hunt for just under 350$ It goes from like 17-70 lbs and like 20"-30" draw length. It's a nice bow and owned by Mathews It's fast and very quiet. he shoots it at 46#. 23.5" draw.

10. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    I took my grandson to the club to burn some powder and shoot some arrows. He did rather well with the wife's bow. Good groups at about 10 yards in the indoor range. Did some research after I got home. Found a wide range of bows from $200 to $350. The Bear limitless has been mentioned. Rated at 5 stars with good reviews; $199.99. I recall that he was looking at this one before. Thanks to all for your help. BTW, he wants $$$ for Christmas. I can guess what it will be for.

11. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

12. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    John, I been working in Archery/Gun pro-shops since the 70's. It's all good to want a certain bow or manufacturer. But I do seriously suggest first to see just how much money he ends up with. Then go too a pro-shop and let him handle numerous bows in his price range. If ya'll decide to go the used route, I would for sure suggest not going with ebay. Buy used from a reliable source, like maybe some of the guys on here, your local pro-shops will often have used bows. Several manufacturers have decent bows that will grow with the new shooter and be good for yrs of growth. One thing I seen many making a mistake doing with youths. Getting arrows cut to exact length needed is a mistake. Since youngins grow fast, they often need draw lengths possibly increased several times a yr. I always suggest getting arrows cut at least 1.5" longer than needed, too allow for some growth. Good luck this season and hope your grandson finds a good deal.

tdk5525 and miamijessejames like this.
  13. joshuasaul

joshuasaul Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ok so what you need is crossbows for young kid, as you have mentioned you read reviews before buying , so ill share a blog with some good options and let you decide. Hope so you will find it helpful.