Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After 5 hunts so far, I can honestly say, I LOVE IT!!! Unless I somehow score on being able to hunt private property, I'll be using a saddle from now on. I'm starting to get into different climbing methods, (Double rope technique, and trying to learn Double tether system w/ one aider) I'm also looking to cut down on the weight of my platform (Modded viper platform weighs 9 pounds), by using a Primal step with a small fabricated platform on it (3 pounds). Now I just need to kill a deer out of the saddle!

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you use the top seat section of your climber as a platform? It should be half the size and weight of the base. If a sling seat, just fashion a piece of plywood for feet instead of sling seat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Knee pads are a leg saver, I have two bad knees and with the pads I have no issues sitting against tree

4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I modded the top the same way as the bottom with the same thought in mind of it being lighter, but it only ended up being a small difference in weight.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah that stinks. I know alot of guys use the top section of lone wolf climber and they are only a few pounds. Might be worth saving some money and just buying a Trophyline mission platform. Think they are under $200.

6. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it’s definitely The route I’m gonna go in the future. I Think I’m gonna go with the predator platform just because of the size and weight. I need to practice on the double tether technique, because honestly it is pretty slick and once you’re comfortable with it you can fly up the tree. I have 75 feet of predator rope being delivered today. My next couple times out I’m going to make some presets So I can use the DRT climbing method. I’d like to have two or three climbing methods at my disposal. 75 feet of rope weighs 5 pounds, the primal step weighs 1 pound, and my platform and fabricating weighs just under 1 pound. I plan on rappelling down the tree.

7. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Of course, this guy makes it look simple. I've practiced it a few times. It is awkward just like learning anything else new.

8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a pair of tactical knee pads for sitting and placing my knees against the tree. (I have 2 bad knees as well from jumping off the back of a trailer 20 plus times a day for 10 years) I still find it painful and prefer to lean. I just shift my weight back and forth every few minutes to releive pressure.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is slick! He's fast I'm sure because of practice. That only is fast on straight limb less trees. The second you have to take a tether off the tree, that takes time.

I've tryed doing repelling by getting down, but it wasn't worth for me taking in extra ropes and equipment for the time it saves. I also tryed 1 stick, but not the safest method. I had sticks kick out a few times mostly coming down the tree. I have mastered my climbing sticks and just going to stick with them. No need to keep tinkering. I forgot that I have done DRT before, but not for hunting, for rock climbing. I think the biggest thing with that is the noise you make trying to get the rope over a limb, especially in the dark.

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Not bad if you can scout and do presets of pull strings. Camo or dark grey that arent visible to passer byes. Just get to tree tie rope to string pull and secure. Watched a video on guys doing that.

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's true. For me I rarely hunt the same tree. I have a problem of always adjusting my setups to try and make them better. Even if I only move 10 yards. It's a bad habit! Lol

My system works great for me, but not alway the next guy. All I can recommend for any mobile hunter is to find a system that you feel comfortable with and become a master at it. It becomes 2nd nature after awhile.

oldnotdead and Swamp Stalker like this.
  12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks effective once you get the hang of it. But, it wouldn't work for me. I prefer trees that have limbs to break up my outline if a deer looks up. Besides, I don't have enough time to stretch to be able to kick my foot that high. :lmao2:

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sticking with my Lone Wolf sticks. Quick, easy, safe, and I can handle carrying 8 lbs around with me without dying. I swear, sometimes the saddle hunters act like carrying a couple pounds of weight a mile into the woods is going to kill them.

14. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Bruh...... 2 1/2 mile walk in, before I begin looking for fresh sign I want to hunt over and then a 2 1/2 mile walk out. Of course I could park closer, but I prefer to tell everyone I have a 2 1/1 mile walk in.

but seriously my existing climbing method works well for me (Modded climber platform), due to having so many straight oaks and maples here in New England. I like tinkering with different methods of climbing, its another part of the hobby for me. It probably won't get to much lighter considering its my climbing method AND platform at 9 pounds. Well, I think the LW handclimber top piece is under 5 pounds, I should probably go with that and shave 4 pounds off my setup. I could always park closer too.

15. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It wasn’t the weight for me. I couldn’t get through the woods with a climber on my back and be quiet. It’d get caught on every limb and briar on the property, and there I was, all tangled up and cussing.

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  16. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a set of the Hawk 20" ultralight sticks, no issues, I use an aider on the bottom step and I can get to the same heights as the LW sticks. I like the LW tree brackets better than the Hawk ones. Adjustable footings really help getting secured to the tree, the novix mini sticks look perfect, but damn, $180 for a set?! Tethrd made their own sticks...$120 per stick/$330 for a set of 3...FU. The thing is, people will pay that for because of the name and to be cool.
    I may sell the Hawk sticks and get the Novix steps, I wish the LW/Novix had a better carry method, that damn strap breaks too easy.

cantexian likes this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  18. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin likes this.
  19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When the ladies see a guy all tethered up and entering the woods.....

giphy.gif

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Are they laughing at them? Because it looks like you're wearing a diaper.

Garrett Godlewski and oldnotdead like this.