Which Tractor?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by fletch920, Sep 8, 2020.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Can I tell people I know you? I want to grow up and be you! I could mow my farms in about 10 minutes with that thing. lol

So, you think its a bit much for 3 acres? :lol:

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it. Glad to hear you opinion on brands. To be honest, those are exactly the brands I had decided to limit my search to. I also hope to find something in the 60 to 70 hp range. Might be a bit more than I really need, but I would rather be a bit over than under. I want to get a bigger mower and be able to easily pull a 12' disk.

Honestly, I think I would come run that tractor for you for a week for free. I really enjoy being on a tractor, and those things are amazing.

Have a great Fall, in the field and in the stand.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to tell people you know me, if you're brave enough to take the flak, lol. (jk jk)
    Yeah the equipment is nice and it's fun, until something breaks. That tractor jumped out of gear last week and threw a code off on the dash for a transmission solenoid. I had to call a field tech to check it out. The solenoid was bad, cost $145 for the solenoid and $400 for the service tech. At least it did fix it. That mower is friggin awesome, I love that thing.
    Our 75C Case IH tractor runs a land pride 12' wing mower pretty well. That tractor is awesome, I love that rig.

fletch920 likes this.
  3. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I finally did it. After having three different dealerships not even return a call when I left a message that I wanted to buy a tractor, I finally found a dealer that wanted to sell something. I was shocked that I could call a dealership and tell them that they had a tractor or two on their lot that I was very serious about and not even get a call back. I have been in sales for over 30 years and that just boggles my mind. A couple of my buddies that are farmers said that does not surprise them at all. They said tractor dealerships are pretty independent most of the time.

Anyway, I ended up finding a nice used New Holland T4030 with less than 900 hours on it. It is 4WD and has a cab and loader. It's 76 HP, so probably do everything I ask of it and more. I have not even seen it yet, but it should be delivered soon. I look forward to a day of mowing or disking and not coming home covered in dust and coughing and spitting that crap out of my nose for days. I also look forward to spraying beans and not feeling Roundup hitting me in the back of the neck when the wind swirls around the trees on the field edge.

Its way more tractor than I thought I would ever buy, but it certainly paid to get my wife into deer hunting. When I showed her a picture of the tractor and said I could put in more acres of plots to attract the big bucks, she said, "buy it, I don't care what it costs." LOL!!!

Now I am looking at a bigger mower and blade and sprayer and..........:evilgrin:

Mod-it, TJF, Hotrod9 and 3 others like this.
  4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SWEET!!!!!
    I can see a BIG food plot this fall.

fletch920 likes this.
  5. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! I have boosted my plans to include 15 acres of plots (corn and soybeans) and another 30 acres of alfalfa. Some of the soybeans will be interseeded late summer with turnips and forage oats etc. I may add a couple of plots for shooting doves also.

elkguide and GregH like this.
  6. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Snowing hard here right now with a 19MPH North wind and it has risen to 22*, the high for the last five days...........

Even though my biggest tractor is 100HP with an eight foot bucket.............. I am so jealous!!!!!!!

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Be sure to post some pics when the tractor arrives. Congrats.

fletch920 likes this.
  8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    The cab was a want and not a need so much, but I REALLY wanted it. lol I mow a lot of weeds that tear up my sinuses and I hate getting spray drift on me. So, I am thrilled to have the luxury of a cab. Sitting in the AC and listening to the radio while "farming" will not hurt my feelings either. The last time I was this excited about a new toy was probably when I got my first BB gun. :biggrin: That was only about 45 years ago.

Wop 75, elkguide and GregH like this.
  9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    NHT4030.jpg Here is my new foodplot rig. We lost all of our snow the past week and I am anxious to get busy with it soon. This will make messing around on the farms a lot of fun.

JeffC, Heritage, GregH and 7 others like this.
  10. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good. Very jealous. So anxious to get back out on my equipment but we've still got 8-10" of snow, so it will be a few more weeks and then a few more weeks to dry things out enough that I don't do more damage than good.

Come on Spring. Hurry up and get here and let the fun begin!!!!!

fletch920 likes this.
  11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is a nice looking tractor. It will surely get the job done for you. What transmission does it have?

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

Synchro Command (power shuttle). 16 forward and reverse with left hand reverser. Four speeds in 4 ranges.

I have not had time to learn a lot about it yet, but look forward to learning as I go. A friend of mine that is a lifelong farmer and good diesel mechanic is coming over to give me some advice on care and service.

elkguide and GregH like this.