Yea or Nay

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Sep 27, 2020.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking about trading down to an F150 from my 2016 F250 4x4. 95% of the time my F250 is really more truck than I need even around the ranch and the F150's have gotten beefed up so much over the years their stats are about as heavy as most of the older F250's were anyway. It'd be nice to get better gas mileage for sure and a little better ride. I'm thinking of going and looking at this truck but I'm not sure if I like this color or not from the pics. I think I like it but it may be one of those that when you see it in person it's putrid. Velocity blue was new in 2019. This is a 2019 with 17K miles on it fairly well equipped xlt trim with the 5.0. It's not the package I'd custom order for sure but for the price I think I could live with it. I'd be sitting pretty nice with my trade in. Maybe a 3" lift and some color matched Morimoto LED headlamps and definitely tinted glass.
    2019_ford_f-150-pic-5828575412914989975-1024x768.jpeg

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a pretty good plan. I'm a blue truck fan though.
    I'd say yea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

CoveyMaster likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If MPGs are what you are looking at, check out the Ecos. They tow more than the 5.0s anyway, more torque, and MUCH faster. Like no contest faster. And that's stock with no tune.

I loved mine. Only got rid of it b/c it was only an extended cab and I hardly drove it because I have a work car. It was basically a $500/mo hunting rig that got driven Oct-December and a little bit running errands and that's it.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're going to tow anything, you're not going to be happy. Yes the truck can pull BUT it doesn't have the weight and most important, it doesn't have the brakes to stop. While going is good, being able to stop is to me the most critical.

(Besides, it's blue and a Ford?????????? Why would you do that???????????)

CoveyMaster likes this.
  5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I hardly ever pull anything with mine, when I do it's mostly just a 13' trailer with my ranger on it and it's just a few miles locally on gravel. I do pull a seed cart here around home and a 16' livestock trailer from time to time but hardly ever pull any of those more than 5 miles from home. That seed cart is the heaviest thing I pull but it is pretty heavy. I'm not sure anymore I need a $55K truck to pull what little I pull around. I could buy an old F350 or something for no more than I pull farm stuff around.
    I've always been a Ford guy and I like blue.:confused:

dnoodles likes this.
  6. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah if I had my pick a truck would be a 3.5 eco in the lariat trim with the console shifter and the full moon roof. The problem with that is the $. I think I'd like to just buy an old heavy beater for pulling around the ranch, probably a dually F350 4x4 and have a nice 1/2 ton for everything else.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t think you’ll miss the 3/4 ton if your pulling a 13’ trailer with a sxs. I have an 09 Silverado and it does fine until I get up to about 70mph. We pulled it from IN to TN last weekend and I ran 70-75 all the way there and back. 10.5mpg. BIL’s 05 duramax got 13. It pulls fine at 60mph and below, but the windshield on the front of the sxs really drags in the wind. Like you said, get a beater mid 90’s f350 to haul gravel and pull the heavy stuff.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Paying cash yay, not nay.

I am taking on zero new expenses or big purchases until 2021 summer.

dnoodles and cantexian like this.
  9. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would down size. Im not a ford guy nor a blue color guy. But the new fords do look good. I would go with that exact truck with black on black or solid white black rims..that's just me though..

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    there is that...saving cash.

Do what makes you happy, Covey. I know exactly what color that is and it's not my thing but my wife loves that electric Ford blue. Might help you with the ladies!

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like blue but not a fan of that blue, at least from the pictures.

Wish I had a 3/4 ton instead of a half ton for farming.

No - for those reasons and that it's a Ford.

12. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve got an 2018 f150 black on black with the 5.0 I love it.
    I get 18-20 mpg and it pulls my 17’ Lund with ease.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I would not. Not because of the truck, but, because buying that new of a vehicle right now would require me to have a car payment. That simply is not going to happen. Between all the government handouts and the tanked economy over the last several months, I think a lot of people are going to get hit hard in the nuts comes tax time in the spring. I am holding on to my 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 215K until after that plays out. I agree with @Germ, I think making major purchases before summer 2021 is going to bite a lot of people really hard. If I was you, I would hold off a while longer.

14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want fuel mileage but don't want to give up towing power (torque), then also look at an eco-diesel.
    I have no idea if Ford offers an eco-diesel, in case you are a Ford only type guy, but the 1/2 ton eco-diesels will do over 20 MPG empty on the highway and most are still rated to pull 7K lbs.
    My wife has a 2015 Grand Cherokee eco-diesel. It isn't that great around town, 12-14 MPG, but jumps to 24-25 MPG on the highway. It is rated to pull a bit over 7K lbs. (Just using the Jeep as an eco-diesel comparison, DON'T buy it. They are as dependable as a 5 year old guarding the candy dish.)

I don't know much about the F150 eco-boosts, the ones with a V6 turbo-charged gasser, but everyone I know that has one is really impressed with how well it pulls.
    Elkguide hit the nail on the head as far as stopping power. If you pull pretty heavy stuff, especially off grades, then you probably won't be a fan of a 1/2 ton. If you are only pulling 7K lbs max, then I'd go for the 1/2 ton. Just put a decent brake controller in it. I like Prodigy myself.