The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was wrong again. When I got back to the house I looked at the pics on a computer.

A bigger buck than the 10 walked by 5 hours after the 10.

farmer rick and Oldcarp like this.
  2. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep after them Chief you'll get one!

Biggest buck shot in my area so far scored 156. Kinda unusual was buck was feeding in soybean field and the hunter rattled him in. Hunter said 1st two times he rattled not much response third time he bristled up and walked right to him. I need to use rattling horns earlier in the year I guess.

LittleChief likes this.
  3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to believe rattling would work this early, but you are a lot farther north than here. Still, September?

I could have killed a monster doe this evening. She might have been a contender in the big doe contest. She was so big I glassed her head very carefully to make sure she wasn't a broke-off buck even though it's kinda early for that too. She was a doe, though, and I was tempted, but I don't want to mess up a spot in the evening where I might get a shot at a buck.

If she (or any other doe) shows up in the morning I'm shooting.

fletch920 and Oldcarp like this.
  4. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went out yesterday after work & it took about two packages of DDW field wash cloths to get me clean as I was not in the mood to drive 45 minutes home and then the same 45 minutes to hunt...lazy I know. Got in the stand at 1530 hours which was about 3 hours to soon. Saw my first deer at 1907 hours & it was at least a 5x5 or 6x6. he milled around at 65 yards for 14 minutes and then vanished into the standing corn. At 1930 hours, a large doe was headed my way, she stopped at 40 yards, took a long poop, turned to the east and was gone. Maybe next Wednesday as the temps for the weekend will be near 95.
    Iowa starts October 1st & Momma is having ladies at the house all that weekend & I have been told to make myself gone...thats easy!

5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally took out my ozonics to charge batteries, red light is flashing, not staying red. Hopefully this thing isn’t broke before I even get to use it.
    Guess I shouldn’t have waited until the last min to get gear ready.

LittleChief likes this.
  6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man been MIA I know, but life got crazy. Long story short after two hunts for a reduction zone antlerless resulted in just one deer seen...but so incredibly early not worried. I may go out tomorrow morning, but I HATE morning hunting till the 20's of October at earliest normally - may cheat my own rule LOL

Loving the sign a lot of us are seeing though!

LittleChief, Oldcarp and S.McArthur like this.
  7. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm taking off up to Idaho for the weekend. I have some very excited Granddaughter's for the youth duck hunt. There Papa maybe a little excited to :rock:

S.McArthur and LittleChief like this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get it working?

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Not yet, I sent Ozonics an email and two people called me, they want me to clean the contacts on the batteries (sticker residue) and push the connector pieces in the charger to see if one is hung up. I should have taken it to work with me, he said he would send an RMA if those don't solve the problem...well, the problem is I can't use it tomorrow but that is on me.
    I did check the power supply and was getting 15v at the barrel connector, it has to be the battery base or a bad connection.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully they can get you up and running quickly. I wonder if it's just a bad battery?

11. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the XL, so the stock battery and the XL are not charging. Unless I got two bad batteries or they just sat too long in the box since April, I would rule them out. Or I just have crap luck hahaha, worst case, I have to hunt like I used too without it.

12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt two batteries are bad. It's most likely a bad charger.

Now that I've used mine more I can't sing its praises enough. It definitely works and does everything they claim it does.

My biggest problem with it is the fact that it makes it really difficult to hear these early season deer. The deer can't hear it, but I sure can because it's a foot above my head when I'm standing. I'm sure I'd be able to hear one crunching through a carpet of fallen leaves later in the fall, but early season they make almost no noise. Most deer I've seen this year with the Ozonics running I never heard coming until they were almost right under me. You really have to keep your head on a swivel if you're hunting in the woods with this thing running. A field or plot edge, not so much I'd imagine.

13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well team, if everything works out okay then Sunday morning I'll be headed to Windsor, MO to hunt my son in law's place. He said if Ghost shows up then shoot him. I'll be ecstatic if the guy I posted above shows up and gives me a shot. Or maybe Captain Hook or any one of a number of great deer he has on camera there.

Oldcarp and MIHOYT89 like this.
  14. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Good news, cleaned the contacts on the batteries, so far so good. Going to let one charge all the way before I drop the other on.

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember what I said when you turn it on out in the dead quiet woods. It sounds really loud with your head close to it, but the deer can't hear it.

16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I have tinnitus (like most veterans), maybe that will muffle that sound.
    The standard battery started flashing, I cleaned the hell out of the XL contacts and it’s been going for 45min so far.

17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, so close but not going to happen.

My son in law went to climb a tree and the timber company has started cutting the woods there.

No more hunting that prime spot ever again.

I was really wanting to get up there before it started.

18. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Got the green light to head out after my sons t-ball game, that’ll put me in the woods around 1/2pm. Quite frankly I had no plan to be out before 3:30/4. I’ve had some midday pics but they are sparse.
    Now to decide where to sit. Creek spot is a gimme for doe around 5p, but I’d like to sit up on the top side by the pond. Creek also has good buck movement but my cameras by the pond failed so I have little info up there.
    Wind says pond, unless the evening thermals hit, then it’ll drag it to the pond/cedar thicket. Creek works unless they decide to walk the entire creek to the beans. I’m sure I’ll figure it out by the time I get out there tomorrow with an actual wind report.

19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big bummer. I was putting up another stand Thursday morning and did something to my right shoulder. I can’t lift my hand above my waist. Went for X-rays today the dr. And I both know nothing is broke but protocol before mri next week. Anti inflammatories for now and see what happens. Got 5 days to get better. Cmon team 12 get after it.

LittleChief likes this.
  20. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Weather report says to stay out of the pond/thicket area. Might have to sit on the creek and wait for feeding times. That’s the issue hunting a small property, hard to always play the wind, but, I still have private land with a good deer population, so no complaints.

LittleChief likes this.