Back bar, shorten draw length, or more shooting?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by JFerg3, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting a VXR 31.5. The one thing that I struggle with is getting the pin on target and holding for any decent amount of time (I am talking seconds, not minutes).

It seems like I have to force the pin up to the spot, then fight it to hold it on the spot. It keeps wanting to dip down.

I see three possible solutions...

1.) My draw length feels fine, although I can tell the string is just behind the corner of my mouth, but it touches my nose with no issue. I could shorten it 0.5", which would put the string on my mouth, but I am not sure that is necessary.

2.) I could install a back bar, which I assume would assist in the bow tilting up while holding?

3.) I could just shoot more and build up the proper muscles as I go.

I have been shooting for several years, although I do not do it every day. I have no issues making a good shot, but I almost feel rushed to get the shot off before the pin drops back down.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    could be you are anticipating the shot, which is a form of dreaded TP ... if you could try a back bar(s) of different lengths and weights, see how that helps .... If this happens at the beginning of a session, it isnt your muscles ..

3. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did some tinkering a few minutes ago and came up with this. Not sure if it helped anything, as I only have a 7 yard shot in my man room. I will say this, it did keep my bubble level on my sight, which is something I forgot to mention. I am not sure that I care for this setup, as there are too many differents parts that look like they could come loose, so I am going to look at getting an actual back bar mount and another stabilizer. But, then again, a little loctite might do the trick, and I could film my hunts...

I noticed that when just holding it in my draw hand, with this camera as the back bar, it does not dip so far forward that it rolls over in my hand (if that makes sense).

I will do some actual shooting with it tomorrow and see if it actually makes a difference. 20200923_205555.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It happens from the first shot on, which is why I think a back bar might be the answer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try this.
    Draw you bow with zero intention of shooting the arrow. You are just going to draw it back, hit your anchor points, hold the pin on target for a few seconds, and then let the bow back down without firing it. Keep your trigger finger behind the trigger pushing forward on it the whole time.
    Did you still struggle to keep the pin from settling low on your POA?

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Target panic...

mflora98ss likes this.
  7. mflora98ss

mflora98ss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, sounds like target panic to me unfortunately.

8. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is not target panic. My bow seemed to be front-heavy. Once I mounted my Tactacam as a back bar, it settles really well. I ordered a 6" Boss stabilizer (currently using a 10" Trophy Ridge Static stabilizer) to take a tad more weight from out front.

Now that I think about it, I could probably just mount the Tactacam as the stabilizer, get the Mathews static back bar mount, and use the Boss stabilizer as a back bar. That would put more weight in the back. Hmmm...

9. garethochse

garethochse Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What you're describing is definitely target panic. I spent over a year researching how to really fix my target panic, got great results and wrote a book on how to overcome target panic/buck fever. https://www.archerywithoutanticipation.com

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: