OHIO - Vinton Furnace or Coshocton?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by MONGO, Aug 7, 2020.

1. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Everybody,
    looking for opinions or advice on whether to go to Vinton Furnace State Forest, or Woodbury wildlife this October. I have never been to either. Ideally, Id like to be able to camp in or beside the hunting grounds.
    any help is appreciated.
    thanks,
    MONGO

2. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live pretty close to Coshocton Im not 100 percent about camping areas and locations but I know that through talking to other hunters and our ODNR officer that archery isnt really pressured. Gun season is when they get loaded up. Check out the area around Dillon Reservoir as well. Never hurts to have a backup

MONGO likes this.
  3. mt fighter

mt fighter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve hunted gun week in zaleski state forest for almost ten years. Last few years has gotten super pressured and our kills have gone way down. I talked to a park officer last year and he said the vinton furnace is the place to go. He said not too much pressure and that was referring to gun season so should be even less during archery. I don’t know anything about the other place. Good luck either way.

overactor likes this.
  4. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, I may have to go down with the climber for about a week and see what happens.
    Thanks for input guys!

overactor likes this.
  5. Old murf

Old murf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For what it’s worth ...Try and find some private land you can hunt near Coshocton ...I hunt in Fairfield county and have hunted private spots for the last 20 years...the days of getting run off or surrounded on public land are long gone...I know it’s hard to find private spots but remember they don’t have to 200 acre tracks...Look for a farmer with a wood lot and one crop field....You might be surprised at the Old Mossy horns you’ll find. Good Luck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    MONGO likes this.
  6. Old murf

Old murf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    F59A89D0-FC36-4681-89F4-CF540FAB589E.jpeg F59A89D0-FC36-4681-89F4-CF540FAB589E.jpeg Last night

overactor and MONGO like this.
  7. Ashley Adams

Ashley Adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live 10 minutes from vinton furnace! Great thing about vinton county is all the public land options around! Wouldn’t write it off at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums