Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been there with the hernia surgery....it's a lot of pain! good job!

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great work! Way to stay after it! I decided that I would start doing a little cardio in morning instead of lifting so I ran 3.5 miles yesterday morning. Trying to find a good balance.
    I more week till I can do a set of deer drags.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Friday deadlifts
    135/5
    185/5
    225/5
    275/3
    315/3
    335/2
    365/2
    315/5
    225/10

virginiashadow and Westfinger like this.
  4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After a week on the mountains, for the next year, I will be targeting my hip flexors a bit more, weighted step ups and a bit more cardio...

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    New cycle arrived..Easy setup and so quiet! Not great on resistance but that's OK cardio is what I really want and arthritis releif. Having a bit ot knee clicking but that should ease with use. Thats my experience from when I went to the gym.

Oh man! So not sure if standing on a ladder hammering over head or the short bike time got me but calves tried cramping all night...think ladder. Hips a little sore today...bike. A little time a few times a day to get back into bike shape. Was doing 13 miles a day when at gym 3 x's a week.

Westfinger likes this.
  6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Tight, weak hip flexors are often a symptom of weak glute medius (side of your butt/hips).

Use these stretches to relieve tight muscles.

Look up videos for banded side steps, banded glute bridges and banded side-lying knee raises to strengthen these muscles. I can promise you, you would rather watch a young lady do these than me!

Westfinger and wl704 like this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Upper body life yesterday. 35lb Hike/Jog today. I was determined to get four miles today so I started off hiking at 3.7/mph for the first 50 minutes. I finished out the hour jogging the last 10 minutes at 5.2 mph, hit four miles!

I wonder if I will be able to walk tomorrow?

8. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Wife wants a peloton? We have a bike, elliptical, and two treadmills at the house. To her credit she uses the stuff but really.

Getting a little cardio in between gym sessions. 25 mile bike ride and 4 mile run this week so far.

stay after it!

virginiashadow likes this.
  9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    damn son, you on a cut? get down to around 7% body fat? lol...I remember doing that once...liked to kill me...the carb cut was the worse because I was also cutting fat intake...never again

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that workout sucked! I walked a couple miles in the woods this morning and then worked out this afternoon.

Warmup with a 10 min jog. Then 2, 5 minute cycles with three mins rest between.

Sprint 30 yds... picked up 40 lbs and run 30 yds followed by walk 30 yards...over and over for 5 mins. 2 cycles. Not sure if it was my heart rate or my lack of glycogen the last couple days but my blood sugar crashed and I felt like crud after...haha. 10 mins later I feel ok. Halving my workout times and upping the intensity to break out of the little funk I'm in.

Westfinger likes this.
  11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    that's a lot on central nervous system brett...I wouldn't be able to do it

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    At the pace I was going I'm sure you could. Haha

Westfinger likes this.
  13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to get a little leaner. Been a weird year with the gyms closing down etc. I’ve kept my calories up a little more than normal to keep my immune system up to speed.
    I have no interest in getting down to single digits especially this time of year.
    Good on you for doing it. I think most people have no idea how much discipline it takes.

14. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Man i did that 20 years ago when i was 24 years old. No way would I do it now. Currently, I stay around 1900 calories a day 6 days a week, I cheat on Sundays. Have no clue how many calories I eat that day, but I would guess over 4000. I will step on the scale Sunday night and weigh 157-159 lbs. On Sunday morning before the havoc, Im currently 150.5 lbs. so I eat a lot and take on water weight that day, takes me about 5 days to get back down to 150-151 lbs. I would guess Im around 10% -12% BF . I still buy 30 " waist pants and I try not to think too much about BF % these days. But yes, cutting down to single digits is a chore. lowest I ever been was 6% at 147 lbs. I looked I had cancer. I was considering entering a bodybuilding show back then, 20 years ago, but even at that % I was not lean enough and lost too much muscle mass. So I decided not to. Now I just try to see the outline of my top 4 abs and live with it!

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday I got in a morning cycling session. Then went to town hauling one of the big extention ladders out to a favorite stand to renail a buck stand. Better rut stand I have. I don't even put cams there to avoid checking them. Then took a walk with the grandsons with their mom that were here for a visit and pumpkin patch picking. After I processed tomatoes.

This is where I did a big cheat on the low carb diet. Yep 40 #'s of tomato juice I had have at least one mug of fresh tomato juice this year. Oh my gosh better than ice cream. Then I made a keto fathead pizza for dinner so good!
    thought for sure I'd gain but, I lost another pound and I'm at 32#'s down.

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That is an awesome job!

oldnotdead likes this.
  17. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds about right. I have a similar mind set, approach, and goals. The older I get the more getting really lean takes its toll on your facial appearance. I want to have visible abs but don’t want to look like I’m dying in the process. I just want to look, feel, and be athletic.

18. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Vabowman likes this.
  19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    as we fight age, it just makes it even harder to lean out...

20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Made a Dr. Appointment for to orrow. Since getting stung yesterday I' had several very " whoozy" episodes. Will not go into season with such issues when I'll be climbing into stands. So sting or BP meds, some deficiency from diet it needs checking. Besides I need to discuss flue shot.