Time for a new pair of boots! Recomendations wanted

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My 10-year-old Rocky 800gram hunting boots are finally going to be retired after this morning's hunt. I wear heated socks, so I'm not looking for a 2500Gram rating boot, something that's lightweight and I can wear all season around 600-800 grams is preferred. I've never been a rubber boot guy, but if you want to pitch me on why you use them, go for it! I'd like to keep it around or under $120.00

What do you wear?
    Do you recommend it?
    What should I wear?
    Do you have a link to said boot?

Thanks!!

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear LaCrosse Aerohead 5mm rubber boots. They are very comfortable to walk in, but with the distance you are hoofing in, I would think a hiker may be better. Maybe? I also have LaCrosse Atlas boots that I like, but wish I would have done the actual goretex instead of their option. https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/men I used to wear Rocky's and really have no complaints but I have a pair of LaCrosse hiker style and I swear they are over 15 years old and have the smell to back that up. Still serviceable tho, so I kind of like their boots.

I prefer the rubber style for odor (less scent trail) reasons honestly and they have gotten to the point they feel similar to how a tennis shoe does in comfort. Your budget may be a challenge. I thought that was mine too until I started looking at hunting boots again. I did find mine on sale. Oh look! They are on sale! https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/ca...aerohead-18-realtree-xtra-7-0mm/category/440/

I can wear mine down to 35 without foot warmers and in the heat my feet can get a bit swampy, but not soaked in sweat. Not sure if I would have gone with the 7mm's with how warm it gets here, but that might be an option for you in your area.

Good luck. It is a serious buy that shouldn't be overlooked.

MUDSHARK, airenlow and Swamp Stalker like this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Oh awesome, Thanks! I'll check those out! I like the scent control aspect of rubber, but you are right, with my walk-in distance, that could get ugly quick.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's gonna be hard to find a pair of good hunting boots for that $120 budget. Rubber boots - maybe. Leather/cordura - I don't know.

If you can spare more money, I've had good luck with both the Danner Alsea and the Danner Pronghorn. I'm currently using the new Lacrosse Lodestar and so far they've been great. I've been using them to scout/do stand work this summer, and just spent a week hunting whitetails in Nebraska in them. So far, so good.

Personally, I don't buy into the scent control aspect of rubber boots being any better than a normal boot, and they make my feet sweat. Unless I absolutely need to cross water that's over a few inches, I never wear rubber boots to go deer hunting. Haven't in almost 10 years now. When I do wear rubbers, I swear by LaCrosse Alpha Burly boots. I've owned Aeroheads and still don't like them as much as the original AB's.

Ridgerunner3 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Justin, I appreciate the advice! I'll look into the Danner's!

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought these Columbia's for hiking on my summer camping road trip through Colorado, Yellowstone NP, and Badlands NP. For the price, they are incredibly comfortable. I liked them so much that I bought the shoe version last month as my every day wear shoe. The boots will be my back up hunting boots. I would hunt with them all the time if they were taller, but I need something I can tuck my pants into to keep out ticks and chiggers.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/columbia-crestwood-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots-for-men

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Oh sweet! Thanks, I'll check those out!!

cantexian likes this.
  9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you go with regular boots, make sure the soles are sewn on. Son was told this by a store employee. Local shoe repair shop was surprised that someone would tell him that. He had guys come in and has to tell them to toss them and buy new. Molded soles can't be replaced. My son has worn Danner boots for about 25 years. Good info on rubber boots for odor problems.

10. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
  13. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m wearing Keen Pittsburgh’s again this year. Bought a fresh pair for this season. I have to have a stiff sole for foot and ankle support and they fit the bill for me. But they’re not insulated. I wish they had insulated ones though.

14. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my next hunting boot will probably be keen targhee high lace

its leather, waterproof, insulated and ive had good luck with my hiking boots from keen

15. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of basic mucks for the early season and the aeroheads for the mid and later seasons. The aeroheads are so comfortable and I walk 1.5 or so miles in. The downside is you will sweat in them, like all rubber boots. I have the 7mm original style. Will buy another pair and maybe the lower mm when I have extra money. I must have heel spurs as I am wearing out a hole in the inner neoprene. When the woods is dry and warm, I also have a pair of hiker boots which I enjoy wearing.

16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have these as my primary hunting boot. I bought mine 7 years ago and they have held up great. I didn’t mention them because when I bought them they were $180. Looks like they have come down in price, hopefully not quality.

17. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could always get some Crispi's. Lol. Supposed to be amazing and the ole ya get what ya pay for adage comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

18. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Danner Alsea, I have the uninsulated version and will replace my current insulated Rockys with Danner in the future. I have a pair of Muck that I rarely wear unless I know there will water involved. I prefer a non rubber boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hate wearing rubber boots, insulated or not. I've worn 2000 gram Thinsulate LaCrosse AlphaBurly's and my feet were miserably cold when the temps got really low. I will ONLY wear rubber boots if I have to walk through water or deep snow and then I pack in the toe warmers which makes my feet sweat which stops the toe warmers which results in freezing toes. It's a no win situation for me.

I've tried lots of boots over the years, but what I've worn for about three years now now works best for me. I wear hiking boots from a company that specializes in hyper-cushioned running shoes. Hoka.

They are built for premium comfort and they are totally uninsulated, but with a pair of Arctic Shield boot covers it's not a problem. If it's cold, a good pair of fluffy wool socks and a pair of toe warmers works great. If it's bitterly cold, I do the same thing but put my boot covers on when I get to the stand. Nice, sweat-free feet that are easy to keep warm.

They are comfortable enough that I can stand all day if the need arises. They don't come in camouflage though. The ones I have are black, but I"ve killed enough deer wearing them that I can say that he deer probably don't notice if your boots aren't camouflaged.

20. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also am running the lacrosse aerohead boots this season. I wear the uninsulated snake version and they have been holding up well so far. I have probably over 50 miles in the past 2 months using them to scout, hand stands, and to hunt in. So far I like them. Got my snake version on sale for 140 I believe. The regular aeroheads were cheaper at the time to putting them closer to your price range.