Restoring Jeep

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jrk_indle84, Sep 2, 2020.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, the reason I did the door inserts like that was I had leftover on the same 4 bottle kit. Was either that or the hood and my hood was actually pristine but the one door had some trail rash so I was like why not?

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha think that's way I'm probably gonna be. Either won't use a bottle at all or will haveta mix it up to finish a little bit. Biggest place want it is inside of tub. Everything else will be a bonus. But if part doesn't come in or can't find the b pillar gonna be little bit before can even do that. So yhe outside is gonna be done most likely before inside. Got one more spot wanna fix on back wheel well then exterior pretty much be done for now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Got thing jist about ready to put the fenders back on today. But the steering rod wouldn't go on, musta been fluke got it off, so had to order new one. Should be in tomorrow. So started tearing into sopt on tib that needs fixed and got it pretty much ready to piece back in. Everything goes right should be about back together tomorrow.

dnoodles likes this.
  4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just about got everything back on today. Got patch in and threw bondo on it then headed in and grabbed steering part ordered yesterday. Meant to grab some more bondo but got halfway back to shop and realized forgot. So sanded everything down and thought itd be alright until sprayed primer on. Was still pitted along weld so I'll haveta redo that. Its where I'm gonna put that bed liner but idk if it'll hide it so gonna haveta sand it back down and throw some more bondo on it. If i don't it'll end up bothering me ha.

Also got front clip back on and everything connected back to it that needs to be. Haven't ran wire harness for light back through grill yet but pretty much ready for the fender and hood to be put on. Plan for tomorrow is to work on cleaning up inside of tub and finish getting floor welded in. Should be pretty close to being done with it tomorrow. Still gonna have few things needs fixed but having the majority of it fixed is gonna haveta be good enough for while. I like working on it but I'm kinda gettint burnt out ha. Gonna just do best can with touching up paint and then in future when end up getting new fenders will probably get a fresh paint job. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dnoodles likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    95% sure the Raptor will cover that. It has kind of a dimpled texture. But it's your rig and I would hate to be wrong - I did mine in (I think) 2010 so it may have changed.

6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Welp all that's left is putting the hood on and seats back in. Idk how much get done tomorrow seeing as haveta go to doctor for hand in afternoon. Tape is where I'm thinking the raptor liner is gonna go on the rockers. Started cleaning out the tub too. The back wither have bunch of grease or the carpwt was overly glued down. Theres bunch of crap in what would be behind the seat. But got it sprayed down once and wiped down with degreaser. Need to grind down welds in front before start cleaning there. Hopeing to get it ready to put bed liner in tomorrow and then do it one these afternoons so can sit overnight while nobody else will be around. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CoveyMaster likes this.
  7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Not really any pics of changes today but did get just about all the welding done today. Have one more little patch to put into the floor. And then it's clean up time. Really hoping by tomorrow afternoon to be putting the liner on the tub and body. Then next day will just be touching up paint here and there and it'll be done for now. Wish coulda did everything now but like said I'm kinda ready for it to be drivable again and with this covid crap noticing parts online are getting harder to come by. Seems like once these sites are out of something the distributors are pretty behind so who knows when will be back.

But I'll be glad to have done what do and should be better than what started with.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  8. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Finally started putting that raptor liner stuff on. Got the quarter panels done and the back part of tub. Wanted to do the body so just cleaned up and got back of tub ready so didn't end up wasted any. Ended up using one of the four bottles up. Turned out pretty decent i was kinda nervous doin it actually. Was worried didn't prep areas enough but feel like it went on good and should be alright. On drivers side wish woulda spent little more time on body work getting it little straighter and can see why they had so much bondo packed in there but it's not a show rig so it'll be alright ha. Standing in front of or behind looking down it doesnt look bad but there are some flaws. Like said at beginning tho I'm not a pro by no means. But I'm happy with how it turned out and the texture ended up with is pretty good. Don't think will be overly aggressive but it's not completely smooth either.

Got two coats on spots wnated to hit and called it day to let it set up good. Was worried if worked on getting front of tub ready would get dust or whatever all over what just did. So that'll be tomorrow and hopefully work on floor first and then will be able to touch up paint on outside and just might be done (for now) tomorrow. Still have three bottles of that bedliner stuff so depending on what use for rest of it if end up having a bottle left may drag the hard top into shop and do the outside of it. Really don't have a reason to keep bottle of that stuff around.

Apparently can't upload pics for the rest of month ha (tapatalk). Will haveta get on computer and put them on later I guess.

9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Try this for pics ha. Sorry for everyone if they take up alot of room. 20200924_140019.jpg 20200924_140055.jpg 20200924_140120.jpg 20200924_140138.jpg 20200924_140217.jpg 20200924_140147.jpg

airenlow and dnoodles like this.
  10. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to kinda put a end to this thread, for now I guess. Got it all put back together and out of shop last Saturday. Was little bit of a adventure seeing as have now learned fuel gauge is little off. Took off from shop and made it almost back to higheay and was spitting and sputtering around. Only thing I could think was fuel filter hadn't picked up yet since changing it. Turned arpund amd got just about to shop and that was that. Dead in the water, gauge was in begween 1/8 and 1/4. So got pulled back to shop and was goin over what problem might be. When changed fuel filter also chamged two little rubber lines coming in and goin out. The one on the tank side wasn't what was "stock" so thought maybe it had too much of a bend and wasnt letting enough fuel through. Crawled underneath and every thing looked fine. Buddy stopped in and we were about to crack line on engine to see if fuel was getting that far, then he asked if had gas at all. Not really knowing because havent driven it enough we opted to just put some gas in tank first. Put about 2.5 gallons in and she fired right off. So that was a idiot moment on my part. But now I know once it gets down to around quarter tank best to find gas station ha.

Other than that no other problems so far. Need a few little odds and ends to fix but so far has been running good. Too bad it's now too cold out and need the top and doors on ha. Took it out checking cams other day so did little "off roading" ha.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dnoodles, JeffC and S.McArthur like this.
  11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was wondering when you would be done.:biggrin:

12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Haha yea I was glad to have it done. Wasnt bad vut was getting kinda burnt out. There's still some things that need fixed for sure but think most the major stuff is done now. Or at least it's things that won't have it tore apart in the shop ha.

dnoodles likes this.
  13. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Reset your trip odometer every fill up, you'll learn what it can do on a tank. No need for a gas gauge once you have that info.
    My old 01 Cummins had the sending unit fail, I drove it off the odometer for 3 years after the gauge failed and had no issues.

14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your last post reminds me of a funny story.
    About 20 years ago a friend called me to go with him to look at a used snowmobile he wanted for his wife. It was a 90 or 91 Yamaha Phazer with a bunch of extra mods on it, Aaen pipe, Mikuni flat-slide carbs, comet clutch, better aftermarket track. Guy wanted $1500 for it.
    We get there and the guy is also just pulling in, has a friend with him and two sleds on a trailer, looks like they were just out riding. As soon as the guy gets out he says, "Well, you're not going to want it now! We went riding today and burned it down! Kind of glad, wouldn't want to sell a sled that burns down the first ride".
    I ask if we can still look at it, he says yes. I go over to it and pull the starter rope slowly. It isn't seized and feels like it has decent compression. I walk over to my friend's rig to get a socket and ratchet and then pull the plugs out of it. Both show good jetting and no gray/silver or any signs of metal on them. I walk over to put the socket and ratchet away and tell my friend, "It's likely just a minor spark or fuel problem. Offer him $500 as is."
    My friend does so and the guy immediately accepts.
    We get to my friends house and put the sled in his garage. I pull the plugs again and have him pull it through while I look for spark. Got spark. Hmm. So I grab a flashlight from his work bench and take a peak into the gas tank. Barely any fuel. My friend gets quite the smirk on his face when I ask him to grab a gas can.
    We put a gallon in and it lit on the third pull. Ran fine for several years until he sold it.

JeffC and jrk_indle84 like this.
  15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that's what did actually. Once I got to gas station filled it all the way up and reset the little trip meter. Not too concerned with the gauge not working right, just hadn't had it enough to find that little quirk ha.

16. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my dad's current project...CJ-2A. My mom, brother and myself all have JK/JKU also.
    FB_IMG_1601988926135.jpg

dnoodles and jrk_indle84 like this.
  17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just to continue the tieing up little things. Found out during rain week or so ago that dash leaks pretty good. And of course all the easy fixes are already done sp need tovreplace seal under windshield frame. Which wouldnt be bad but found out why previos owner stuck a second top hinge on top of factory hinges to mount lights. The torx bolts in factory hinges are rounded off pretty bad. They took the light mounts and from what i can tell siliconed them to the other hinges. At least hope that's all it os and not welded. So that'll be a fun project.

Plan is to wait until have few days off work and take entire window frame off and replace everything. So now gathering parts and waiting.

Also recently replaced back brake shoes, forgot how much fun drum brakes were to mess with, and also replaced one of the rear turn signals. The body begins light is pretty rusted out. Knew there were few spots that needed fixed so thats on the list now.

Okiebob likes this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah those last details are the hardest to make perfect.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Makes me want to buy another scout.

Okiebob likes this.
  20. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Still creeping along getting things fixed. Recently found a guy parting out a jeep and picked up some new fenders to replace mine. Kinda wish the guy didn't live 2 hours away because I'd pick up some other stuff off him. The fenders were in great shape, whole body was actually, and have been working on getting them painted. Few little spots sandered down and put some rust kill on and bondo where paint was bubbling up. But overall not bad shape.

Debated about using the can of spray bedliner had to do inside wheel wells but didn't end up using it. So far got the wheel wells painted and the inner fender painted and done. Now need to finish sanding down outside and prime and paint. Only using spray cans on it to get it to match rest of jeep. Still hoping one or there days I'll have it all and will get a pro paint job in it ha. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]