The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I got it Brett. Thanks again. :tu:

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not very good at the computer thing but here are a few pictures from our elk hunt.

Attached Files:

ash d, S.McArthur, tynimiller and 2 others like this.
  3. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    This hunt was one of the warmest I have been on. It was 82 degrees on Monday. Then over night we had 5 inches of snow and 19 degrees. We had to chase a bear off one night. he chewed up a cooler and our solar shower. I had the privilege of catching a kitty taking a drink. It was a great hunt. Last Friday I had a good 330ish bull at 45 yards. I just come off a steep climb and was breathing to hard and blew the shot

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of curiosity, how many of you giant killers would pass on this guy? Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldcarp and farmer rick like this.
  5. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not me! I like to fill my tags! Looks young though.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    This is actually on the property my son in law hunts. He said he'd have a hard time passing on him. I told him if he gets a shot he'd better take it.

Sometime this month the owner is going to start clearcutting all or most of the timber. Then he will construct a dam and flood the entire thing.

This is the last hurrah for that prime hunting spot.

7. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Given the opportunity he’d be getting a free Uber ride to the walk-in cooler!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

farmer rick, LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  8. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to share a couple pictures from this last weekends card pulls. The picture of the 10 isn’t the best but I can’t decide if he is a stud 2.5 year old or a 3.5 year old, if I see him it will be son the fly decision to shoot or not.

The 8 (my big 6) I am almost positive he is a 4.5 year old deer. The last 2 years he has been a 6 and decided to sprout 2 very short G3’s this year and will definitely get an arrow if I get the chance. The bushy tree straight in front of the 8 has a brand new stand in it and he loves to walk from bedding (behind the camera) right past that tree between the corn fields out to the bean fields in the evening. If the wind is right I’ll be in that tree opening evening. Image1600338093.358679.jpg Image1600338102.808758.jpg Image1600338113.018319.jpg

9. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I would take'em home with me. But I'm not a real trophy hunter.

LittleChief likes this.
  10. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This morning while hanging hooks & a haul line. 2 nice bucks[​IMG]

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    So, for those of you who don’t follow the LFTS thread, I had some excitement this morning. I love hunting the new moon, and this one didn’t fail to produce action.

I got on stand this morning at 5:30. I had left all my gear in the tree from the previous evening’s sit so I climbed and got set up with no light, as usual, and was covered up in deer immediately.

A few minutes before legal light I heard something over my left shoulder. I knew it was a deer but couldn't make it out. After a few minutes of staring it finally moved and I could see it and it was only 15 yards away.

It just stood there. Finally it started walking by at 10 yards. I still couldn't see what it was but it was big bodied.

It stopped with a small leafy limb between us so I slowly raised my binoculars and could make out the antlers.

It was him. The big boy from last year. He's bigger now and with more mass.

Now it was just a minute or two into legal light so I could barely make out what he was with my own eyes.

He started slowly feeding so without taking my eyes off him I slowly lowered my binoculars, reached down, turned on the light on my sight, grabbed the bow, hooked on my release.

He's there at 12 yards broadside sniffing where I walked in.

I kept my eyes on that buck the entire time, so it wasn't until I raised the bow and started to draw that I noticed that I had never nocked an arrow.

I tried to sit the bow down and get an arrow out of my quiver but it was hopeless.

He bounced out to about 30 yards, stood there for a while and then walked away.

I feel sick about it. Also, I know I just lived one of those moments I’ll replay in my head hundreds of times and regret my stupidity every time.

Im not sure if he saw me move or just spooked at my scent left from walking in, so I’m trying to decide whether to move to a different tree or stay put.

12. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What an awesome encounter LC. Sorry it didn't work this time, hopefully you will get another opportunity at him. Just glad in the moment you didn't draw back and shoot without an arrow nocked.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took a long lunch yesterday and finally stepped foot on the 40 I bought a few weeks ago. It didn't take long to start finding some good sign. I took along a Spartan camera and threw it up on the first boundary scrape I came to and got out of there. I jumped a doe that was only about 10 feet from me when she bolted from some head high foxtail. I was so disappointed when I got up early this morning and only had pics of a coyote, momma raccoon with three little ones and an opossum. Not one deer. Then, while I was getting ready for work, my phone pinged and I got my first deer picture from the new property. Not a bad start, lol. He is not a monster, but a good looking deer considering this is supposed to be my fishing farm. I am thrilled to think that I have stumbled onto another good area for deer. By the way, this is the first time that I have ever posted a picture of a deer that is still alive. I am breaking my own rule about sharing too much information. Getting old I guess.......ha.
    516194865.jpg

14. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’d shoot him, wouldn’t think twice.

farmer rick, Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    This morning was another eventful morning. Oh, I remembered to make sure an arrow was nocked. Another buck walked by but he was a bit earlier than the one yesterday morning. I could see just enough with my Leupold binoculars to tell it was a buck, but for all I knew it could have been a spike. Fortunately, yesterday afternoon on my way in to that tree I took my only two trail cameras and put them both on the same tree, a small white oak 10 yards from my stand. I faced one north and one south.

This guy walked almost right under me this morning and then fed in a circle around that tree on the side that the StealthCam was on. He was 30 yards away from my tree when the pics I'll attach in a minute were taken. He's not as big as the one I saw yesterday. Yesterday's buck looked to be a mainframe 12 point. It was too dim to see if he still had the stickers from last year.

This morning's buck, just like the last one, went towards the southeast corner of my property, so when I got down this morning I moved my stand as far southeast as I could. That ended up only being about 80 yards and might buy me an extra 5 minutes if I'm lucky.

My son in law gave me an idea though. He suggested putting a salt block out in the open by that trail. Plain salt blocks aren't illegal here and I'm thinking that even if they don't use it right away that white block will at least get their attention and hold it for a few minutes while they figure out that it's not dangerous. Hey, it's worth a try, right?

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    This is the buck from this morning. He doesn’t look old, but I’d shoot him. IMG_1330.png
    IMG_1331.png

Oldcarp, farmer rick and fletch920 like this.
  17. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So close again! It’s only a matter of time and you’re going to be on the board and don’t we with the competition LC! I know I don’t have to say this but stay after em!

LittleChief likes this.
  18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LC, you are having some great sits already. I bet you let the air out of one soon. Seems like you are doing what it takes to get it done.

LittleChief likes this.
  19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I walked in to that same patch of woods this morning. Like I said, yesterday I moved my stand to the southeast. I saw two does and could have killed either one since the stupid lead doe tracked me to my tree.

This morning I went back to the same tree. Almost as soon as I walked into the woods out of my plot at about 5:25 am a single deer bounded off and didn't blow. I thought that it was probably one of the bucks and I was thinking I'd blown it. I didn't see a single deer this morning. I carried my stand out and I'm going to leave that spot alone until the 24th and the 25th when the movement is supposed to peak during the am and pm sits.

At 1:00 pm I did take a salt block over. I dug a pit about 6" deep, put the block in it and poured some water over it. When I was finished I checked my cameras. There were no big buck pics, but I do know that the deer were definitely moving between 2:30 am and 5:30 am. I also am almost 100 percent sure that the deer I bumped walking in was a single doe. At 5:23 she walked in front of the camera and that camera is only 20 yards from the trail I walked in on.

I feel confident that I haven't messed that spot up at all.

20. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In a tree in Michigan. Not a lot of confidence with this property in the evening but dang it feels great to be up!

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.