The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again Brett.

2. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out in a couple minutes to pull a card on one property and see if it’s worth while to put a stand there then heading to another to see if the red squirrels terrorized my stand there and look at another location on that property I was checking last year but never set up in.. so far it’s been slow going for any good sightings or pics.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  3. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Little Chief
    Your package should be there by Friday according to the postal service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  4. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well about 200 pics of a couple does since the end of May. Not 1 buck. Guess once October 1st gets here that might be a good spot to fill my doe tags. Found another spot that looks interesting. Couple apple trees that have some trails going to them. Have you guys had better luck hunting apple tress in the am or pm?

tynimiller likes this.
  5. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds kinda like the farm I hunt. Loaded with does. I have a cell camera overlooking an apple tree and it seems the deer are there almost every morning and evening.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

ash d likes this.
  6. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    The apple trees on my area are hit in the evenings

7. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well opener came and went. Downpoured on Saturday so that hunt was a bust, and Sunday only saw a few small doe and a fork. Hopefully next weekends pressure increase and cold front will change things up

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What’s up gentlemen! Sorry about going MIA. I was checking in a little bit throughout the weekend, but most of my time was spent with family after the passing of one of my grandmas this past Friday. The rest of my time was spent unplugged doing some tree stand work, checking a few cameras, and just trying to get my mind right.

LC congrats on another doe down! Soon the points should start stacking up. I’m going to get out for at least one maybe two hunts during Michigan’s early doe season this weekend, I think Ty said he’ll be on stand, as well as a few other guys with open seasons!

Just a reminder, 2 pictures with your bow and the deer, time, date, and equipment if you wish. Good luck to everyone getting out!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

LittleChief and Mudlake3 like this.
  9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well...our son had his year old check up Monday morning and doctor made us do a Covid test. He has had a crazy runny nose and a low grade fever couple days back.....so wife had 35 minutes to write in person and virtual student lesson plans (she is a teacher) and I had to quick in like 5 minutes tell all the employees in the office I am in charge of what to do and vacate office per health department policies.

Sucks, BUT because of this I should be up a tree for reduction zone hunt today or tomorrow hoping for an antlerless harvest. Will keep you guys posted.

fletch920 and LittleChief like this.
  10. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hurricane sally is really putting a damper on our vacation, they say it should be decent tomorrow, hopefully so. I’m excited to get into the woods but I really want to get some beach time with my wife and son.
    8289DE97-4207-4B1D-BAEC-C679639EB0F5.jpeg

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I will be going today. Not looking for a crazy long sit and don't expect movement till end of day but first hunts always rough so gotta go while I can.

Wonder how many items I forget...over/under is 2.5 LOL

12. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    Wife is having surgery on Thursday morning. I hope to have her full of pain pills come friday afternoon so I can sneak out and hunt while she "naps". If all works as i plan...she should wake up just as I am returning home.

MIHOYT89, ash d, farmer rick and 3 others like this.
  13. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm back off the mountain.
    It took me a while to get caught up on all the post. Congrats Little Chief on the Doe's.
    I will report on my hunt as soon as my wife stops missing me :biggrin:

14. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was good Sat. Sun. forgot my quiver. Didn't realize it till I pulled my bow up. Felt pretty stupid lol. Lucky it was just short hike to atv then short ride home.

Went 1st three afternoons, saw multiple does and fawns each day. very windy and warm today didn't hunt.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We finally got about 3 inches of rain over 4 days and the seed I planted a month ago is finally starting to germinate. Temps in the 80's and sunshine now will give it a great start. I have about 3 more acres of plots to finish up soon and put in Buck Forage Oats and a mix of brassicas and clover. It is late due to the drought, but with some moisture, it should still produce enough to attract deer all winter and turkeys in the Spring.

I have a lot of cameras to get put out. Scrapes are starting to open up and now is when I like to put cams on as many boundary scrapes as I can. I moved a blind and put in a water tank a couple of days ago and have several mock rub trees to get cut and stuck in the ground also. Lots of work over the next couple of weeks before we open, but having a lot of fun. In fact, I have not put this much effort into my hunting in over 5 years. I got so burned out with it, that is was just work. Now that my wife has interest in hunting, it is back to being a joy, not a job. Good luck all!

LittleChief and MIHOYT89 like this.
  16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Hurricane sally is quite the angry woman, had a water cyclone or something pass through the condo last night, no power, and all the bridges out are shutdown.
    Quite the family vacation.
    5D2B9C29-FDC0-471A-8D7B-3A9F6E8CCF05.jpeg

LittleChief likes this.
  17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about the bad weather during your vacation. That really has to suck.

I don't think I'll ever take a vacation and go to a beach. During my career in the Navy I saw enough beaches to last a lifetime. Besides, after I spent some time on the beaches at Benidorm, Spain all other beaches sort of fall short.

I've always said that if it weren't for all the sand, salt water and people, the beach would be a nice place.

Oldcarp likes this.
  18. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    We’ve made the best of it, only so many things you can do to keep a 4 year old occupied, it’s supposed start clearing out around 2pm, we can at least get down to the pool/hot tub. The condo owner has been great, she has reached out to us to check on us and volunteered to refund our money, which we’ve been trying to convince her not to do. We should still get a couple decent days.
    The army sent me to sandy places without the beaches, I grew up close to the New London sub base and never wanted to float around the globe. Airplanes/helicopters and my legs seemed like a better plan than a boat, sharks, and endless ocean.
    Oh well, once I get back, it’s 7 days until deer season, the weather looks like it’ll cool a bit for the opener. For now, I’ll live vicariously through the forum.

fletch920 and LittleChief like this.
  19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Only saw one lone yearling deer in distance last night. Staying in tonight to help wife with little man. May hunt tomorrow if we haven't heard from doctor on covid test and cannot work

LittleChief likes this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I guess I'm on a mission to kill a specific doe.

Not sure if you saw my posts in the LFTS thread, but I recently discovered that I own more property than I thought I did. For some reason I was thinking that the fence on the east side of my property was the line. Actually, that was just a fence a previous owner put up to hold horses. My property goes on back about another 8th of a mile and it's all woods. What made me realize this was I downloaded OnX and was looking at it on stand.

I've seen a lot of deer travel this patch of woods during the past two years and really wanted to hunt it. Yeah, I feel stupid.

My wife and I walked through it to look it over. There's a lot of good deer sign and a lot of turkey sign also. It's mostly white oak, with a few red oak and hickory trees. The east property line butts up against a property that was logged a few years ago, so there's good bedding there.

Anyway, I hunted there yesterday evening and this morning and both sits I saw the same group of three does. The lead doe is one of those smart old girls. Yesterday afternoon they came from the east, hit where my wife had walked and that old doe went crazy with her blowing and stomping. Nothing else came through after that.
    This morning they came in from the southwest. I had already decided to take her out if I got a chance, so I got ready. The lead doe actually hung back as the first two walked by at 22 yards. After a few minutes here she comes. Just before she got into the lane she locked up. I know she didn't wind me, but she was standing where we'd walked out the day before. If she'd taken two more steps she'd have died because I was at full draw and ready.

Nope, she wheeled, blew and bounced out into thick cover and kept blowing for a minute and then headed east.

I really don't want to kill a doe here now, but I'm thinking I need to take her out if I can.