What was your life like?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The older I get the more I long for the 80s. Specifically the early to mid 80s. I grew up in a typical small southern town farming about 800 acres. I roamed the woods all summer and learned about every thing in the woods as 12 year old. That's when my daddy let me have a shotgun. Killed ground hogs, squirrels, tweety birds etc... planted fields of soybeans and wheat, bailed straw, and cut fire wood endlessly..watched Dukes of Hazard, Dallas and Hee Haw....I miss the simple times..what was your decade to remember? My teens were in the early 90s and they were good as well, but as the line in the movie Stand By Me says, you never have friends like the ones you have when you were 12 is so true

oldnotdead and Swamp Stalker like this.
  2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My life
    I've been told you should write a book, many times. My response is always. No, I lived it and find it hard to believe,why would anyone else believe it?
    Nuff said.

early in, gr_andrews and Vabowman like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I turned 18 in 1984. Freshman year in college and the beginning of the aids crisis. Always made sure I wore a condom.

virginiashadow and Vabowman like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Probably saved me a lot of $.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Born in 76, I grew up in the same time as you did. I grew up on a lake but spent more time in the woods making forts, climbing trees..etc.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I ran into my 18 year old self I would want to punch me. Was kind of wild and got way with so much stuff, always got let off with a warning. Never hurt anyone other than some girls feelings, never stole, never wrecked other peoples stuff but my own but I was young arrogant and cocky my mother in law forbade her daughter from dating me took till after college before she relented, even when she learned we were engaged she said you think you are ready to be married. I love my MIL.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was born in 82 so I’m a little younger than you but the late 80’s and 90’s weren’t too bad. I lived in the woods, we hunted with Red Ryder BB guns then graduated to Benjamin air rifles, rode bikes for miles and came home when Street lights came on. We had a little technology which was Nintendo NES, Game Boys, Sega genesis, and Play station but we did that mostly at night or on rainy days. MTV still played good music. Roller hockey and nerf football, wiffle ball, Kept us busy. I guess that time line was right before it really started going to hell

8. gr_andrews

gr_andrews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Born in 79.
    Marine dad who i felt like was harder than necessary.
    Alcoholic mother.
    Divorce. Younger brother that I needed to protect.
    I have friends that talk about the crazy things they were doing at young ages and as a teenager.
    I didn’t do any of it. I had responsibilities and being dumb wasn’t one of them. Probably a large reason I didn’t start hunting until I was 35. There were other things to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have lived a life. Been put into a running clothes dryer, was sprayed with gasoline while wearing a polyester snowmobile suit, got hit by a car while riding my bike, got shot in the head by a shot gun and more than a couple car accidents, had a burning tree fall on me had a gas grill blow up on me and a methane explosion at a landfill. walked away from it all unscathed other than scars.

Shocker99 and oldnotdead like this.
  10. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    77 kid here. The 90s...awe man those were some times. Small railroad town in the mountains of NC where everybody knew one another and gossip was king. You couldn't get away with crap and everyone had a scanner. If you did get picked up by the cops, parents knew before morning. I've told my kids in some ways I wish they could grow up similar. Was a different world with no cell phones, basketball till all hours in the summer time, trying to guess where your friends were hanging out, bicycles were your transport and daddys belt was the end of all transgressions. Funny...I used to have all my friends home phone numbers memorized and still do. When is the last time you committed a phone number to memory? Lol. It's an amazing time we live in, but i do miss those times before the internet was everywhere and people were a bit more...understanding? Idk. Seems like we all lost some intimacy with each other. And I don't mean that in a perverse manner. I mean we are more connected than ever and farther apart than ever imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    79.... 90s kid. Whitetail II was my introduction to it all. I rocked nintendo and loved the classic movies but the woods have always called to me.

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    74..late 74. hahahaha. The 80s and 90s were great. Ive lived from Hawaii to the east coast and back again. Thank God no one could record my friends and I as we all made the worst jokes, drank too much, and basically beat the hell out of each other for fun...week after week. I am thankful for the bar scene...sounds weird, but I am thankful I went out to meet people and have a good time. No internet, no social media. Just beer, women, and once again, nasty jokes with more beer...and sometimes violence, and more women and beer. :) The Whitetail II was also my beginning. I always gravitated to the woods and water....funny how most of my good college buddies don't hunt and can't believe some of the wild crap I still do in my job.....hey man, Ive always been like this. lol

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My life in a word?

Blessed.

14. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Born in 59. Raised poor and richer for it. Survived the late 60's and early 70's and never thought I'd live to see 35! Born into a farm family that loved to hunt, fish and work hard. Seen bad times, good and now crazy!
    Saw the evolution of computers happen, internet, social media and globalization. All in the name of good and prosperity. Not so sure it's made our children a better place to live in after all! Sometimes I just want to go back to the simple unprecedented times.

15. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Born in '74. Rocked out with farm work, a Bear Whitetail II, an Earl Hoyt custom recurve and I had a couple of sweet ass Hawaiian shirts. The 80's were rad. I had a set of German grandparents that made anything they consumed living off the land, always had a hobby that included backbreaking work and thought my parents was not nearly as overbearing as they should have been. Couldn't ever thank them enough. Dad used to drop me and my beagles off at a 200+ acre farm that had a creek, Coles Creek, with a box of 22 shells, a sacked lunch and a fishing pole. I'd spend all day running that creek with those dogs. My moms side of the family had money but she decided to marry a poor country boy. Spending time with them was always different bc my grandfather had tractors with cabs and ac. They lived here in Oklahoma so when I'd come out here they would have plenty of work for me but would always take my sister and I on trips. Couldn't ever thank them enough. But when I think back I can't do it without remembering my sick rides, a Schwinn Predator for freestyle and a Redline BMX I raced. Ive got this friend Matt and when we quit racing he really got carried away with the freestyle and half pipes. I still have both of those bikes out at the farm.

16. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Lord, some of you are mere kids. I was born in 1947. Grew up on a dairy farm in central Ohio. Did some hunting and fishing but after that, lived a rather dull life. Looking back, my parents had loads of opportunities to travel, hunt, fish, etc. Lived in Queens, NY from 1962-1965 and was two hours from some of the best trout fishing in the northeast. Did nothing.

virginiashadow likes this.
  17. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Born in 75. My daddy was 1946. yeh, the baby boomers! Don't lie Jon, you were a child of the 60s...woodstock and all! :fro:

18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Started life in 1956 and it has been glorious ever since. I ride unicorns wherever I please and exploit my white privilege to the fullest. For me, everything is free for the taking and it seems that people just bend over backward to please me. I am treated like the albino king that I am............

And then I woke up from this dream and found that this is what the "woke" people really think of white people. It could not be any further from the truth. I grew up with parents that made a modest income. Over the years, both of my parents worked hard to better themselves and were a success. They were successful in life and as parents of 4 children. They provided well for us but also made us work for things we desired. It was the best lesson I have ever learned. I have worked for everything I have. I think everyone should do it. My father also taught me that in order to save money that it was a good idea to do things yourself. So, I became a carpenter, plumber, landscaper, auto mechanic, gardener, electrician and many more. I actually am a licensed electrician.

There are many other ways to live life but this is how I chose to live mine.

elkguide, Okiebob, Shocker99 and 4 others like this.
  19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I almost forgot about my GT Performer and Dyno Comp haha

Okiebob likes this.
  20. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bought my first gun at a farm auction in 1987 at the ripe age of 13. A Ruger 10/22 deluxe w/ a Bushnell 3x9 scope. Saved my pay from washing dishes at a restaurant. $1.85/hr.