Hang and Hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bucks&Blondes, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Bucks&Blondes

Bucks&Blondes Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I picked up some Millenium sticks and M60U hang on stands thinking these may be the quickest and quietest way to move around the woods without using my climber. I was curious how long it typically takes everyone from the time you set your hang on stand equipment under the tree to being able to hunt it safely? On the shows it always looks quick, but I know it’s obviously edited.

Be safe. Not asking anyone to time themselves and race the next time they do it. Any tips and tricks on moving these setups around quietly and safely would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I timed myself when I set up my practice stand, the same process I use for setting up in the woods, it took me just about 11 minutes, that was he first time hanging this season, the more you do it the faster you’ll get!!

Adam
    Elite Kure
    29.5/70lb
    CBE Engage Hybrid 3pin
    Dead Center Dead Level Hunter Kit 8/6in
    Goldtip Kinetic Kaos 340 Spine 29in
    TAC driver 275
    100gr NAP Killzone
    455gr/276fps

Bucks&Blondes likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a climber so it only takes me about 1 minute or so to put the stand on the tree and get up to 20 feet. then i put my bow hanger in the tree, another one for my pack and then strap in and sit down probably 6 mins total.

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me if I went fast and didn't care about sound, could probably set up in the 5 - 6 minutes. I would say on average about 15 minutes and on the longest, up to 1 hour. It all depends on the tree and how close to bedded deer I am. It's all about repetition and with time it gets faster the more times you set up.

5. Bucks&Blondes

Bucks&Blondes Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I left one of them out of the woods for now... I’m usually pushing 30 minutes. Sounds like anything else, I should just take the time and practice with it.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I usually shoot for 15-20 minutes if I'm being careful and not rushing. There are times when 20-30 minutes is normal depending on the tree and if I need to trim anything on my way up, or on the ground after I'm hung (private land of course). I've found that trying to go faster only causes me to make more noise and get sweatier - neither of which are optimal for a hang & hunt. So I go at a pretty steady pace and try not to be in a hurry. Like most things in life, when you're in a hurry it only causes more problems.

KY72 and Bucks&Blondes like this.
  7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20 min is a good average time probably. Others already said it depends on tree, how close to bedding, I also find if it’s windy and the leaves and woods are making good cover sound I can move a little faster

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    with my LW and 4 sticks.. 15-20 minutes ... I dont want to be fast, I want to be quiet and safe .... I always allow time to set up, plus the walk in time ,,,, btw, I use the rope mod on my sticks which allows me to go up larger tree's than any climber ever can so I have more locations to hunt that those with climbers would have to pass on ..

9. Bucks&Blondes

Bucks&Blondes Newb

Dislikes Received:

I need to spend more time reading up. I just researched the “rope mods” and like the idea. I feel like messing with the metal buckles for the sticks is probably the noisiest and longest part. Thanks for the tip!

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use these too. Check out DIY sportsman on YouTube. He has a lot of informational videos on mods for equipment.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    10-15 minutes max. I don't rush. This way I don't make any unnecessary noise or get sweaty.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also check out daisy chains. That's what I'm currently using and won't be changing any time soon. I've used the standard straps, rope mod, and now the daisy chains.