Hi all from SC. Been BH since 1968.

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by LIVIT, Sep 7, 2020.

1. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been Bowhunting since 1968, got my first deer with a bow in 69 at age 12. Been working in Pro-shops on/off since the mid 70's. Just retired a year ago and moved here to Southeast SC. Season here started Aug 15th. Skeeters so bad at my place though, you need to hit bloodbank after being in woods for a blood refill ! Due too injuries from my Military time getting worse and age, I can no longer shoot traditional or compound bows. So I'm unfortunately having to use a Xbow. I have a good chunk of land where I live, that is loaded with deer, actually too many. Good luck this season.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    DarkTater and gr_andrews like this.
  2. gr_andrews

gr_andrews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! Welcome!
    I’m in SE NC. We probably share mosquitoes.
    Thermacell works great on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIVIT likes this.
  3. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    LOL yeah, I just finally got my new Thermacell yesterday. Actually heading out right now :)

gr_andrews likes this.
  4. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to ya!
    Myrtle Beach SC here!

5. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nick, are you hunting private or public lands ?

6. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hunting public. I just moved here a year and a half ago. So I don't know any land owners yet.

7. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had much luck on the public land ?

8. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    I've been out of the woods since January 2019. Last Saturday 9/19/20 Was my first time hunting in South Carolina. All I saw was a young bear cub, whom I'm pretty sure was on his own. Also I didn't get to hunt the area i wanted to, due to rain shutting that part of the WMA down. Had a couple feet of rushing water covering the road. All the parts I had scouted had been shut down. So I went in completely blind on this hunt.

Attached Files:

LIVIT likes this.
  9. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool pic, bear were a major prob where I was living at in WNC before moving here. I have not even been bothering to take my CC out fishing around GTown because its been raining so much and now it's doing it again. I have lots of water laying on my property too, just more skeeter breeding area yet again. Before I got a new thermacell, if ya walked into my woods, ya would need to visit bloodbank for a refill !

10. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man that thermacell is definitely paying off for you!
    Thanks I'm from Central Maryland and the bears were always a problem up there too.
    Hopefully this rain breaks for the weekend and lets some cool air come through.

11. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nick, cool down coming bud. Wow, small world, I use to live in Md. myself. Attended HS in Severna Park. Still have a place on Eastern Shore (Elliots island) I hunted eastern shore, badington area southern Md. Hunted western Md. often. Before I moved to WNC, I lived WV just across potomac river near Hagerstown.
    The bear prob we had in WNC is really bad. I was seeing more bear in a couple days than deer in a week. We were going through 200lbs of corn every 4-5 days. Ground blinds got destroyed. My house there not far out of Asheville, there was trout stream in my backyard and bear cruised my yard often, even had one tree off my front porch that a big boar used as a marking post. Many people don't know but NC has had numerous world record black bears taken. Several counties on the coast are well known for bears over 500 lbs, I think the largest was darn close to 900lbs. I have no interest in meeting that one in the dark !
    We need to get together, I got a nice CC for fishing around Winyah etc if ya interested. My bud has like 16,000 acres and is from around here. I'm sure I can get you on some private land to bow hunt. Not many bowhunt around here.

12. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    I was just down in frederick md myself. Grew up my whole life there. Hagerstown has some pretty good hunting areas around it especially if going out into western MD. Those are some pretty big bears! Glad to not have run in to any of them yet. I've got my bear tag for SC and pretty sure I've got a big bear on cam but can't be certain. So hopefully it shows itself during daytime so I can hopefully get a shot.
    Heard that winyah bay has some pretty good fishing and crabbing?

13. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    .Current world record backbear, Craven county NC 880 lbs. That is a big ass bear and I have no interest in meeting one in the dark ! Hope ya get a chance at the one your after.

Never crabbed Winyah, crabs here suck compared to Chesapeake. Fishing in Winyah is good, still learning my way around.

14. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    golly that would definitely be a nice bear to get! Wouldn't want to meet up with it in the dark either!
    Thanks hoping that the bears will be up and moving. I did manage to harvest a Doe yesterday off of public land.
    I usually pull lots out of murrells inlet. But this year has been so weird. its like the crabs never showed up. So I started chasing kings early this year.
    Has Winyah calmed down since those guys were recovered?

15. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice some meat for the freezer. I use to go for kings yrs ago. Something really off about those 2 guys drowning and where the boat was found. That happened right where I launch my boat (Sampit river) Finally starting to see some good Pre-rut sign around here. Caught a couple kind of decent bucks on cams. Found out some clown has been coming on my place and has shot 2 nice bucks.

16. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    Damn sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll be able to catch up with that clown and get him run off. If not hopefully dnr can help ya on that.
    The cold front that came through this weekend didn't help me. But it was a pumpkin patch out on public land this weekend.
    Yeah all I've heard was it was the first time they took the boat out and had all the weight loaded to the front.

17. Mr Patroy

Mr Patroy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Coastal graduate here 1992